Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

psu bad plastic smell

jcharlie96

I have a coolermaster mwe gold 550w modular psu I made a new build with it 3 weeks ago everything is working great except it smells. I've removed each part and found its definitely the psu its a really strong rubber/plastic smell ive left the psu to air outside the case for awhile but it still smells and then I've found even plugging it back into the pc after running it for a few hours it will stop smelling but then by the time I turn it on the next morning the smell is back. I know that it can take a while for smells to go away but isn't 3 weeks a bit too long and there's the fact it keeps coming back?

Any help is appreciated! 

yup and I've double checked it since taking it out again to make sure there's no plastic on it.

4 hours ago, seon123 said:

Just flux. It's normal, and it will go away. 

I've read about that and I figured it's probably nothing, how long does it normally take to go away though because i've heard people say a few hours or days but its been three weeks?

18 hours ago, jcharlie96 said:

I've read about that and I figured it's probably nothing, how long does it normally take to go away though because i've heard people say a few hours or days but its been three weeks?

Depends on how warm the PSU gets. 

23 hours ago, seon123 said:

Just flux. It's normal, and it will go away. 

Any idea how long it should do it and if more load would shorten that time it takes to go away? Have my very first one that has this kinda smell. Noticed the inductor coil is tarnished, looks black

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 8700k, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-H, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB, EVGA 1080TI SC Black, EVGA 850 GQ, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz 

Spare RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 4770K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 32Gb, EVGA 1080sc & 1060 SSC, Corsair CX850M, Acer GD235hz 1920x1080@120hz

5 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Any idea how long it should do it and if more load would shorten that time it takes to go away? Have my very first one that has this kinda smell. Noticed the inductor coil is tarnished, looks black

The reply above. I'm not too practical

:)