Rsync on Ubuntu via Windows App

So thanks to another recommendation on here and some digging i now have Ubuntu App installed on win 10 and running.

I specifically got it because i've got a few dozen folder groups that are the outputs of a data recovery operation on a HDD i accidently installed my win 10 over the top of, (long story), and there's a lot of duplication between the folders, but some of the duplicates have the same name but different data, manually going through would take forever and i was told Rsync can do that check for me and copy both copies over if they're different, renaming as needed.

However i suck at command lines in general and i have zero experiance with linux, and all the rsync tutorials i can find seem to focus on networking and backups rather than my use case. So i'm hoping someone here can give me a good tutorial, and yes i know don't merge the original folder,s do it to a seperate destination.

why use rsync? 

You should be able to do this all on windows. robocopy is basically the windows rsync, and can skip dublicates, there are other duplicate finders out ther aswell.

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

why use rsync? 

You should be able to do this all on windows. robocopy is basically the windows rsync, and can skip dublicates, there are other duplicate finders out ther aswell.

It was what was recommended to me, also i'm on win 10, based on a link to robocopy it's win7 and some versions of win server only. If you know of any good GuI duplicate finder copy thingies that work on win 10 please feel free to point me at them. I asked here over in the windows section originally because i had no luck finding anything that the site for it didn't look dodgy as all hell.

8 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

It was what was recommended to me, also i'm on win 10, based on a link to robocopy it's win7 and some versions of win server only. If you know of any good GuI duplicate finder copy thingies that work on win 10 please feel free to point me at them. I asked here over in the windows section originally because i had no luck finding anything that the site for it didn't look dodgy as all hell.

robocopy is on windows 10.

progrms like ccleaner have duplicate removers if you want a gui for that.

46 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

robocopy is on windows 10.

progrms like ccleaner have duplicate removers if you want a gui for that.

Hmmm the article i got linked said it wasn't. I'll have a dig around then.

8 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

Hmmm the article i got linked said it wasn't. I'll have a dig around then.

did you try running robocopy?

robocopy works fine for me in windows 10

Fair enough, And thanks for the CCleaner tip, totally forgot it had that functionality. Thats going to make it way easier as i can clean out the duplicate contents first.