Is this PSU any good

SteamedLawnChair

It's not the greatest, but it's a million times better than your current unit. Would be fine for your GT 1030 + i5 650. Save the 5 pounds and grab the VS450 instead; your system is really only going to use 100W under load.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

7 minutes ago, Spotty said:

It's not the greatest, but it's a million times better than your current unit. Would be fine for your GT 1030 + i5 650. Save the 5 pounds and grab the VS450 instead; your system is really only going to use 100W under load.

I would but I'm looking to upgrade to a gtx 970 by the end of the year and it requires a 500w PSU so I don't want to skip out wattage because I did that with one of my previous systems and it blew the whole thing

What @Spottysaid. But I'd consider goimg for a 650 of this model. It's not much more and gives you some room to expand in the future. :3

Edit: Saw your reply. You definitely want at least a 600.

2 minutes ago, SteamedLawnChair said:

I would but I'm looking to upgrade to a gtx 970 by the end of the year and it requires a 500w PSU so I don't want to skip out wattage because I did that with one of my previous systems and it blew the whole thing

How about instead of getting a super low end PSU, you get a decent one? It's not about the wattage, it's about how good the PSU is. The 970 is a 145W card, the system will draw about 200W at load. A Pure Power 11 400W for £50 would be a much better buy. 

3 minutes ago, YiffyAki said:

What @Spottysaid. But I'd consider goimg for a 650 of this model. It's not much more and gives you some room to expand in the future. :3

A 600W super low end PSU for a 200W system? Why?

:)

Just now, YiffyAki said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aerocool-Integrator-Power-Supply-Unit/dp/B00JKVHLIO/ref=sr_1_13?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1545476584&sr=1-13&keywords=bronze+psu

I've never heard of this brand but the reviews are pretty positive and it's rated 80+ Bronze. Its real decent. Specially for the price. :3

That's a really bad PSU. How about reading an actual review of it? 85° caps on the secondary means it should go straight to the trash. 

https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/aerocool-integrator-600-watt-psu-review/

1 minute ago, SteamedLawnChair said:

Your old PSU blew up because it was a piece of garbage, not because of wattage (though your old unit lied about its wattage, it was more or less a 300W unit, not 500W...)

GTX 970 is like ~150W, so total system draw will still be under 250W under load. You'll still be fine with a 450W PSU. If you want a better quality unit than the Corsair VS for your planned upgrade, look at the Corsair CX450M for around 47 pounds.

4 minutes ago, YiffyAki said:

If they need a 650W PSU, like to power a 9900K + 2080Ti, they need a better PSU than a VS650...

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

4 minutes ago, seon123 said:

That's a really bad PSU. How about reading an actual review of it? 85° caps on the secondary means it should go straight to the trash. 

https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/aerocool-integrator-600-watt-psu-review/

The actual review also says it's really decent for the price and will deliver a 600w load for a long time. <w>

It also says everything falls under industry standard. Sooooo...

I'm not much of an advocate of running everything counted down to the last wattage. Having some breathing room means features like 0 fan and stuff like that can function more of the time. Not to mention things run cooler as they have less of their theoretical limit used. They can also in theory last longer because less stress on more capable components. 

If you read my statement I did say WANT a 600. Not NEED a 600. :P

18 minutes ago, YiffyAki said:

The actual review also says it's really decent for the price and will deliver a 600w load for a long time. <w>

I'll quote the relevant parts

The primary 330uF 400V capacitor is 85c rated and branded Asia’X. We haven’t seen an Asia’X capacitor in a very long time. They are manufactured by parent company Fuhijju Electronic Industrial Co. Ltd

So a super low end hold up cap. 

Secondary capacitors are all sourced from lesser brands in China and are a mixture of 85c and 105c rated.

85° caps on the secondary is a no no. They should all be 105°, else the PSU shouldn't really be used. 

And the parts you mentioned:

Positively, it could deliver a 600 watt load for a long time, so the company are not mislabeling the unit.

The company doesn't lie about the max output. That's a minimum, and does not make the PSU good. Also, an extremely short 2 year warranty means they aren't confident in the PSU. 

Now we aren’t recommending you rush out and budget only £30 on a power supply as the foundation for new high end gaming system, but our results are an indication that the Integrator 600 will be capable in the mid to low end enthusiast gaming sector.

So they recommend spending more on a PSU. 

And the big one:

Our review sample didn’t have all the goodies inside, but Aerocool have assured us that the customer will get a power cable/safety notice and mounting screws.

Considering it's Aerocool, I wouldn't be confident that you'd get the same PSU that was reviewed. 

10 minutes ago, YiffyAki said:

I'm not much of an advocate of running everything counted down to the last wattage. Having some breathing room means features like 0 fan and stuff like that can function more of the time.

I would say that 150-200W of headroom in a 200-250W system is already plenty. 

A 0RPM mode is not necessarily a good thing, and it's not present in any of the PSUs discussed in this thread. 

Edited by seon123
Something something

13 minutes ago, YiffyAki said:

Ah. And look at the comments. 

We have our very own Jonnyguru there. 

Buyers beware! The current Aerocool Integrator is not nearly as good as the one in this review! They SERIOUSLY cost down this product!!!!

The primary cap has been downgraded to a 270uF 400V cap, whic would barely do 10ms hold up time at 70% load. They also got away from the full range mains support. This unit is 230V only which means if your mains browns out and voltage drops, the PSU will shut down (or worse, depending on the load).

What's really sick is they're still using the 80 PLUS Bronze badge on the box and PSU that they earned BEFORE they downgraded this model.

Sad.

Exactly what I expected, as it turns out. That's fun. 

Just now, YiffyAki said:

I'm not much of an advocate of running everything counted down to the last wattage. Having some breathing room means features like 0 fan and stuff like that can function more of the time.

None of the units discussed have zero fan RPM modes...

6 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Lame. ? Potential for a class action? They should review this updated unit and edumacate people.

My mistake though. Sorry. >w<

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

None of the units discussed have zero fan RPM modes...

All the fans do ramp up n down tho.

Just now, YiffyAki said:

What's quieter? A quiet, low-mid range 500W PSU, or a loud, high end 1000W PSU with a semi passive mode?

We'll compare the Pure Power 10 500W to the G3 1000W. 

At an 80W load: 

568 RPM Vs 1542 RPM. 

At 200W: 

568 RPM Vs 1592 RPM. 

At 400W: 

1040 RPM Vs 1653RPM

It's not about the wattage. There's more to what dictates the fan RPM. 

https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=database

6 minutes ago, seon123 said:

What's quieter? A quiet, low-mid range 500W PSU, or a loud, high end 1000W PSU with a semi passive mode?

We'll compare the Pure Power 10 500W to the G3 1000W. 

Heh... I actually had the cybernetics database upon on the Pure Power 10 and EVGA G3 1000W copying the noise graphs when you posted this :D
Beat me to it...

Just now, SteamedLawnChair said:

So @Spotty i ended up buying the vs550 as it was in budget and seemed lile a good option. Would this fit into a micro ATX case?

Should do as long as the case supports ATX PSUs. The VS550 isn't a large PSU. If that old PSU you had fits, then I don't see any reason why the VS550 wouldn't also fit.

11 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Should do as long as the case supports ATX PSUs. The VS550 isn't a large PSU. If that old PSU you had fits, then I don't see any reason why the VS550 wouldn't also fit.

Thank you so much, I ended up removing the unfaithful rapscallion from the system before it caused any more damage.

-= Moved to Cases and Power Supplies =-

Please be mindful when posting new topics, that you are using the correct subsection. 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

5 hours ago, SteamedLawnChair said:

I would but I'm looking to upgrade to a gtx 970 by the end of the year and it requires a 500w PSU 

No, it doesn't require a 500W psu

gpu recommendations don't mean squat as they don't know what parts you have other than the gpu so they assume worst case scenario

You will be perfectly fine with a higher quality 400-450W psu like this:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/t8c48d/be-quiet-pure-power-11-400-w-80-gold-certified-atx-power-supply-bn292

I don't want to skip out wattage

don't skimp on quality, that's even worse

I did that with one of my previous systems and it blew the whole thing

it blew up because you were using a crap PSU with no protections.

good psus will shut down whenever there's a problem, or whenever they are overloaded.

And like I said, a good 400W is sufficient.

5 hours ago, YiffyAki said:

But I'd consider goimg for a 650 of this model.

I don't know how you got to the conclusion that he needs 600W

cpu = 75W, gpu = 150W, rest of the system = 75W

you're looking at 300W power draw, even OC'd you aren't close to 600W

It's not much more and gives you some room to expand in the future. :3

if he's on a budget the best choice is to go with a higher-quality, low-wattage PSU. PERIOD

room to expand doesn't mean anything if your psu blows up or presents some other issues like coil whine, random, restarts, etc.

and standards change, so even with a 2000W whenever they decide to remove the ATX spec your PSU will be useless, so better go with something we know for sure, which is that PSUs need to be safe and reliable.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aerocool-Integrator-Power-Supply-Unit/dp/B00JKVHLIO/ref=sr_1_13?s=computers&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1545476584&amp;sr=1-13&amp;keywords=bronze+psu

I've never heard of this brand but the reviews are pretty positive and it's rated 80+ Bronze. Its real decent. Specially for the price. :3

Do you know those aren't actual reviews? they don't have the equipment or the knowledge to do a psu review.

So how do you say it's decent with no reviews?

Seriously if you don't know what you're talking about don't give him any recommendations, you do more harm than good.

5 hours ago, seon123 said:

holy crap, I hadn't seen psus with 85C caps on the secondary side.

That's why you don't go by amazon/newegg "reviews"

5 hours ago, Spotty said:

If they need a 650W PSU, like to power a 9900K + 2080Ti, they need a better PSU than a VS650...

right,

and if they need a 650W psu, they can afford a very good one mostly

that's what happens when you don't understand how psus work or the review and instead misinterpret the part that backs up your argument 

group regulated unit with 85c caps of questionable quality on the secondary side, 80mV on the 12V rail and only 2 year warranty, if you know little about psus you know that it won't last long

and to make matters worse it isn't much cheaper than some decent units out there:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/t8c48d/be-quiet-pure-power-11-400-w-80-gold-certified-atx-power-supply-bn292

and I don't care if it's 600W, we have gone over it already.

4 hours ago, YiffyAki said:

I'm not much of an advocate of running everything counted down to the last wattage. Having some breathing room means features like 0 fan and stuff like that can function more of the time. Not to mention things run cooler as they have less of their theoretical limit used. They can also in theory last longer because less stress on more capable components. 

So far pretty much everything you said is WRONG

more wattage isn't more future proofing

more wattage isn't going to last longer

more wattage isn't quiet

more wattage isn't more efficient or cooler

MORE WATTAGE IS JUST MORE WATTAGE

and you can get to that conclusion with a bit of common sense.

Sadly you and many others end up believing some shitty myths that people make up without any proofs or reasoning.

If you read my statement I did say WANT a 600. Not NEED a 600. :P

no, he doesn't want a 600 either

why? because if a 600W costs as much as a 400W like that PSU you recommended, chances are it is lower quality, less efficient, noisier and all the bad stuff you could imagine, because to sell a 600W for the price of a 400W you need to make it worse very often

So no, more wattage doesn't make it better, I hope this explanation suffices and I hope you stop recommending PSU

so what's your point?

4 hours ago, SteamedLawnChair said:

So @Spotty i ended up buying the vs550

you shouldn't have,

it's not as bad as

@YiffyAki s unit.

you could do worse

but you could also buy a much better unit for like 5-10 more

8 hours ago, seon123 said:

8 hours ago, YiffyAki said:

7 hours ago, seon123 said:

Yep.  I bought one after seeing how cheap they were and how good the review was.  Turns out the PSU being sold wasn't even CLOSE to the PSU that was reviewed. 

Total shit bomb scam.