Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Skin for LC Media Player

Lady Fitzgerald

The only solution I've been able to find to get audio dynamic range compression is VLC Media Player. However, I can't find a skin for it that I can read from my 43" TV screen from a normal viewing distance of 10'. Does anyone know if such a skin exists? It would need to work with both Win 7 and Linux versions of VLC. Dark would be nice.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

5 hours ago, saksham said:

quick search reveals:

silent vlc

yt vlc

skyfire

Thanks for the reply. However, maybe I need to clarify a bit what I'm looking for. I need a skin that has menus (playlists, controls, etc.) that can be read on a 43" TV screen from ten feet away. I would use something like Kodi or Plex to access my videos and music because they use menus and controls that can be read from a distance from the screen but they do not have audio dynamic compression ability like VLC, which I need because I'm sick and tired of having to ride a volume control because turning up the volume enough to hear quiet passages results in me being bown out of the room and the neighbors being disturbed during louder passages,

Silent VLC isn't even a skin as far as I was able to find; it's just a way to install VLC without user intervention.

YT VLC appears to just gives the ability to view YouTube videos through VLC (if it can do more than that, I couldn't determine that from what I found when I did a search for it; a link from your search would have been useful, otherwise your post was just a milder version of lmgtfy).

Skyfire appears to just be an inferior skin that still has menus that have too small of text to be readable unless one is two or three feet from the large screen.

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

if you are using windows on the tv, there is a built in option for audio dynamic compression. i dont remember exactly how to enable it, but i remember that its there. 

3 hours ago, saksham said:

if you are using windows on the tv, there is a built in option for audio dynamic compression. i dont remember exactly how to enable it, but i remember that its there. 

Would anyone else know where this is? I sure as hell can't find it.

Jeannie

1 hour ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Would anyone else know where this is? I sure as hell can't find it.

go to 7:40 in the video

2 hours ago, saksham said:

2 hours ago, saksham said:

go to 7:40 in the video

That is not the same as dynamic range compression.

Jeannie

Actually, i owe you an apology. I did some research and MS Loudness Equalization is supposed to provide Dynamic compression so I aplogize for dismissing your sugestion outright. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

However, there are some caveats, though. First, what threw me was it's misnamed. It should be named Volume Equalization. Loudness control normally means compensating for the human ears' ability to hear bass at different volumes. The ears' perception of the volume of bass notes drops faster the the perception of volume for higher frequencies. Higher end audio equipment have loudness controls rather than volume controls, the difference being a loudness control will adjust the volume of bass as the overall volume changes to compensate for the ears' not hearing the bass as well at lower overall volumes.

The other caveat is, according to the research I did, the MS Loudness Equalization usually will not work with sound that hasn't been routed through the onboard sound chip on the MOBO. I'm currently using a Dragonfly Red USB DAC to connect the notebook I'm using to my speakers. To put it politely, the onboard sound on the notebook stinks so using it is not an option, especially since the DAC produces incredibly better sound.

I already have tried using the "Loudness" Equalization setting while using the DAC and it does absolutely nothing.

Back to the ranch topic, does anyone know of a skin for VLC that will allow me read menus, playlists, controls, etc. from  a 43" TV screen viewed from ten feet away? I've looked all over and haven't had any luck.

Jeannie