RAM needs to be underclocked? [SOLVED]

Go to solution Solved by shoutingsteve,

Here how i fixed it (thanks badreg):

Entered BIOS and although XMP was not a selectable option for me (the drop down menu as shown in my user manual simply wasn't there) I was able to relax the timings to the cas latency as printed on my ram sticks (from asus auto detect putting them at 8-8-8-20 to patriot's factory specs of 9-9-9-24.) when I changed the frequency from 1066 to 1333.

but I also had to increase the voltage from 1.5 to 1.6 (1.5 being the factory and 1.6 just being raised because when I only relaxed the cas latency and bumped up the frequency it entered windows but then failed immediately)

Thanks for your help, guys and gals.

Alrighty, so I've searched around the forum and found a bunch of helpful information, but nothing that actually answered my question.

I recently upgraded my videocard and during the benchmarking process with that I discovered that even though I have 1333 memory, it is running at 1066.  So I restart my rig and enter the BIOS to change it to 1333 (factory clock.. so says the sticker afixed onto  the modules).  I press the key to commit the changes and reboot.

then...

cycle. "hmm... that's odd"

cycle. <internal panic>

cycle. "Son of a ---"

Boot. "thank god!"

but the ram is still at 1066.  Any idea why the rig won't boot at 1333?  All four modules are identical and bought at the same time.  BIOS has dual channel mode enabled.  I have it at stock voltage, should I bump that up a bit? or is that where I should leave it?

My mobo:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131994

My RAM:

(4) modules of this https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220372

It must be true, I read it on the internet...

What voltage is 'stock voltage'?

Also, don't underclock the RAM, it'll just make it a lower frequency.

It's at 1.5 volts.

And, believe me, I don't want to underclock it.  The system won't start up unless it is underclocked.

You can't just change the frequency and expect it to work without also increasing the voltage and/or changing the timings. This is why XMP exists. Turn it on and you should be good to go.

15 hours ago, badreg said:

You can't just change the frequency and expect it to work without also increasing the voltage and/or changing the timings. This is why XMP exists. Turn it on and you should be good to go.

Ok.  cool.  So, do I just need to turn on XMP and it will adjust the timings and voltage for me or do I need to do all three things manually?  There is no danger of me turing on XMP and also upping the voltage, and then the XMP also upping it causing them to burn up, is there?

Entered BIOS and although XMP was not a selectable option for me (the drop down menu as shown in my user manual simply wasn't there) I was able to relax the timings to the cas latency as printed on my ram sticks (from asus auto detect putting them at 8-8-8-20 to patriot's factory specs of 9-9-9-24.) when I changed the frequency from 1066 to 1333.

but I also had to increase the voltage from 1.5 to 1.6 (1.5 being the factory and 1.6 just being raised because when I only relaxed the cas latency and bumped up the frequency it entered windows but then failed immediately)

4 hours ago, shoutingsteve said:

Have you run any memory tests?  To make certain you don't need a little more DRAM voltage.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case