AutoCAD on integrated graphics??

Go to solution Solved by genexis_x,
Just now, Roschlynn Dsouza said:

4 hrs for CAD and programming

Impossible battery life in such heavy load, AC power is recommended

1 minute ago, Roschlynn Dsouza said:

The weight should be maximum till 1.5 kg. And the battery lfe should be about 6 hrs

Acer Spin 5 13 SP513-52N-5621 - non-upgradable RAM, good sRGB IPS

Asus Zenbook UX331UAL-EG002T - non-upgradable RAM, good sRGB IPS

Lenovo Yoga 730-13IKB 81CT0042IN refurb - non-upgradable RAM, good sRGB IPS

From Newegg (India):

Asus UX333FA-DH51 - non-upgradable RAM, good sRGB IPS, slightly over budget

Acer Swift 3 SF314-55G-51SC - slightly over budget

Acer Swift 3 SF314-54

If you can accept 1.7kg there will be more options

Im a engineering student from India and i need a quick opinion. I am looking at a laptop for engineering with the following specs:

HP Pavilion X360

Intel Core i5 8250U

8gb DDR4 2400 MHZ RAM.

1tb hdd

128gb ssd

Intel UHD 620 graphics

Will this be able to run autocad? I have cad only for 1 semester and then from that semester onwards, i have programming in C,C++ html5 java phython and network security and all.

I already have a gaming pc to handle all this. But i need a laptop to use in college so do help me out here.

CAD is only based with 2D drawings only for this semester

In my experience, the GPU is not very important for CAD. Most CAD operations are single threaded CPU tasks. AutoCAD will run just fine on that laptop, I would worry more about finding a laptop with a good screen, good keyboard, good battery, and a good build that will last through university. I am in the same situation, so I got an XPS 15. Perhaps look at the XPS 13 as it is a more similar comparison to the X360. If you can go to a store that carries both, compare the screens and keyboards back to back as these two will be what you use every day. You want them to be good.

ASU

5 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

In my experience, the GPU is not very important for CAD. Most CAD operations are single threaded CPU tasks. AutoCAD will run just fine on that laptop, I would worry more about finding a laptop with a good screen, good keyboard, good battery, and a good build that will last through university. I am in the same situation, so I got an XPS 15. Perhaps look at the XPS 13 as it is a more similar comparison to the X360. If you can go to a store that carries both, compare the screens and keyboards back to back as these two will be what you use every day. You want them to be good.

i had compared both in one store nearby me. I found the HP one to be the best suited for me. Plus i would be thinking of upgrades as i have heard the xps 15 is not upgradable and the HP one i mentioned is with ram ssd and hdd upgrades

please dont try to use intel graphics for cad. Almost all cad software will "run" on intel graphics but that doenst mean it is usable at all. you can code on it no problem at all it would be great for that but cad is best with a gpu as it requires a lot of calculations to display something in real time while holding to dimensions and other factors like if you use Inventor and want to make a render of the part or creation most of the time you use ray-tracing which by default uses the cpu anyway but when the gpu is enabled for that it can take off an large amount of time from the render

2 minutes ago, Roschlynn Dsouza said:

i had compared both in one store nearby me. I found the HP one to be the best suited for me. Plus i would be thinking of upgrades as i have heard the xps 15 is not upgradable and the HP one i mentioned is with ram ssd and hdd upgrades

If you like the x360, get the x360. 

As for upgradeability, I believe the XPS 13 has soldered RAM, but the SSD is on an M.2 Slot, but the XPS 15 has RAM slots as well as an M.2 slot. I am biased towards the XPS 15 because I have one and really like it :)  

ASU

1 minute ago, Turretgaming said:

please dont try to use intel graphics for cad. Almost all cad software will "run" on intel graphics but that doenst mean it is usable at all. you can code on it no problem at all it would be great for that but cad is best with a gpu as it requires a lot of calculations to display something in real time while holding to dimensions and other factors like if you use Inventor and want to make a render of the part or creation most of the time you use ray-tracing which by default uses the cpu anyway but when the gpu is enabled for that it can take off an large amount of time from the render

If i go in for a HP Envy which has a core i5 8250U and MX150 graphics, will it be good? It is just for 1 semester i have CAD

5 minutes ago, Turretgaming said:

Depends on if you are doing 3D cad, or top down architecture cad. FOr 3D I agree, but plain old 2d architecture will run on anything

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 minutes ago, Roschlynn Dsouza said:

If i go in for a HP Envy which has a core i5 8250U and MX150 graphics, will it be good? It is just for 1 semester i have CAD

The MX150 would definitely be a step up - frankly, I would buy the one with UHD graphics and install CAD and see how it runs. If it doesn't run well, just return it before the return window is over and get the MX150 instead.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

The MX150 would definitely be a step up - frankly, I would buy the one with UHD graphics and install CAD and see how it runs. If it doesn't run well, just return it before the return window is over and get the MX150 instead.

also give this video a look over too as linus tested what you really need for most things

4 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

If you like the x360, get the x360. 

As for upgradeability, I believe the XPS 13 has soldered RAM, but the SSD is on an M.2 Slot, but the XPS 15 has RAM slots as well as an M.2 slot. I am biased towards the XPS 15 because I have one and really like it :)  

But will the integrated graphics handle 2D Drawing in AutoCAD? It is 2D drawing like lines, isometric projections, shapes and all

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

Depends on if you are doing 3D cad, or top down architecture cad. FOr 3D I agree, but plain old 2d architecture will run on anything

yes its just 2D projections like lines, shapes, isometric projections

7 minutes ago, Turretgaming said:

I haven't had much of an issue, have you? Granted, I haven't tried to run Solidworks on a laptop because I don't like Solidworks, but every Autodesk product I have tried has run fine on a laptop. When you start getting into really complicated assemblies, you can run into problems, especially RAM. This is just my experience.

ASU

yes its just 2D projections like lines, shapes, isometric projections

If you are just doing this for 1 semester, and moving on to something else, then you'll be fine. If you are making CAD your career, go with something better.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

If you are just doing this for 1 semester, and moving on to something else, then you'll be fine. If you are making CAD your career, go with something better.

Yes it just for semester 1. After this semester, i will be moving on to programming in visual studio, java, html 5, algorithms, Python, digital circuit design in logism (open source software) (http://www.cburch.com/logisim/), network security design, server networking and all that stuff.

Yes it just for semester 1. After this semester, i will be moving on to programming in visual studio, java, html 5, algorithms, Python, digital circuit design in logism (open source software) (http://www.cburch.com/logisim/), network security design, server networking and all that stuff.

Yeah, then choose the laptop you like the most, you'll be fine

Location? Budget? Any preference on weight and battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

12 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Location? Budget? Any preference on weight and battery life?

Budget:1000 US Dollars (65000 Indian Rupees)'

Battery Life:Something to get me through a days college work (assuming i forget my charger at home)

Weight:Light enough to carry with me daily 

Brand Preference: Asus and HP.

Use Case: Programming and 2D Drawings in AutoCAD. 

image.png.70eab34417f41a55506169ae7c5f39f6.pngWas looking at this one from asus

23 minutes ago, Roschlynn Dsouza said:

65000 Indian Rupees

Any links of online stores besides flipkart and Amazon?

23 minutes ago, Roschlynn Dsouza said:

Battery Life:Something to get me through a days college work (assuming i forget my charger at home)

Weight:Light enough to carry with me daily 

Give a range, kg and hours

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Just now, GeneXiS_X said:

The weight should be maximum till 1.5 kg. And the battery lfe should be about 6 hrs for normal use and 4 hrs for CAD and programming

2 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Links of online stores is only available on flipkart and Amazon. These are the only two which are ruling the shopping space here. 

4 hrs for CAD and programming

1 minute ago, Roschlynn Dsouza said:

The weight should be maximum till 1.5 kg. And the battery lfe should be about 6 hrs

From Newegg (India):

Acer Swift 3 SF314-54

If you can accept 1.7kg there will be more options

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

22 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

From Newegg (India):

Acer Swift 3 SF314-54