Help I think someone has hacked into my IP address.

Hamface55

Hello,

So a couple days ago my sister noticed that the mouse was moving on her screen. Someone was remotly controlling her computer. She then reset her computer to factory. The a couple minutes ago. I got up from leaving my computer alone for an hour or too and saw that I was on a new google chrome tab with a mstsconnect popup. The popup was asking for a username and password. I did not see anyone controlling my pc but I know for a fact I did not open that and have never messed with msts. I dont know if they ever did control my pc and what info they did get. What can I do to stop this. I have sesitive information on my computer I cannot have other people having. What can I do. 4 people use the same IP address so are we all in vulnerable situation? I have not been on any sketchy websites either. Recently I have just been using reddit, youtube and my schools website. Please help

Thanks,

Dylan

One of the best things you could do, short of going to law enforcement, is change your IP address and hope whoever is doing the hacking is not in your network.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

One of the best things you could do, short of going to law enforcement, is change your IP address and hope whoever is doing the hacking is not in your network.

ok. I will try to change my IP tomorrow.

Malwarebytes scan after disconnecting computer from network. Change wifi password as well but from a different device like your phone. If possible, switch to a stronger wireless encryption (router setting).

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

You can't really hack a IP, there is a good chance its not related to that at all.

What is your router? Is it updated?

What os are you running? Are all systems updated?

Id nuke all the affected systems, good change its spreading to other systems  on the lan.

"Hacking an IP address" doesn't exist. It is possible for one of the devices on your network to have been compromised (router, one of the PCs, phone, IoT device, etc), and that can then act as a vector to infect all of the other devices on the network.

Is it possible that someone is pranking you and has a bluetooth mouse/keyboard connected to your/your sister's computers?

If not, run a scan with malwarebytes on all your computers, and check for updates on all the devices on your network (router, smart lightbulbs, ...).

If you have been compromised, changing your IP address will have no effect.

HTTP/2 203

11 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

"Hacking an IP address" doesn't exist. It is possible for one of the devices on your network to have been compromised (router, one of the PCs, phone, IoT device, etc), and that can then act as a vector to infect all of the other devices on the network.

Is it possible that someone is pranking you and has a bluetooth mouse/keyboard connected to your/your sister's computers?

If not, run a scan with malwarebytes on all your computers, and check for updates on all the devices on your network (router, smart lightbulbs, ...).

If you have been compromised, changing your IP address will have no effect.

I just ran a scan with malwarebytes and it said I had 4 threats of yontoo. It cleaned that but i dont think thats what was causing my problems. Also I dont think it is a prank. I dont know anyone in my family that would be that technically advanced and would do that in the first place.

Just now, Hamface55 said:

I just ran a scan with malwarebytes and it said I had 4 threats of yontoo. It cleaned that but i dont think thats what was causing my problems

From my research, yontoo is Adware so still malicious but not necessarily the issue you're encountering.

1 minute ago, ZacoAttaco said:

From my research, yontoo is Adware so still malicious but not necessarily the issue you're encountering.

Yeah that is what I was thinking too

Update your router/restore it to factory settings.
There were flaws in routers a couple months ago that allowed remote network access. So if you've never updated it, you might have a compromised router on your hands. Restoring it to factory defaults should get rid of any "scripts" or settings an attacked may have put on it to facilitate their entry, but you should update it, either to the newest official firmware or to some other third party firmware(like DD-WRT).

Run malwarebyte on all machines connected to the internet.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Disconnect your router from the line out of the house.

Then factory reset your router. Then look on the back of the router for the gateway IP address. Type that into a browser and hit enter. This should bring you to a browser control menu, probably asking for a username and password, both of which should be on the router somewhere.

Get a copy of Malwarebytes and any other anti-virus anti-malware scanning tools you can, and scan every device that has connected to the home network.

Change the password to something other than the factory provided password. It is possible this is how they got into your home network. ISP's are lazy as shit, as are router manufacturers. Probably using a "master password" or something.

Lock down any and all wifi that the router might be putting out with a decent password.

After you do these things, you can reconnect to the outside line to the house.

Then I highly recommend you change any passwords to ANY online accounts that you might have, that would have personal financial information. I recommend your family do the same. Change all passwords on any and all devices that have connected to your home network.

Public library would be an okay place to do it. Just make sure to log off of any accounts you sign into on that computer, and make sure to clear the browser history and cache data.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs