Adapt a 17” 144hz laptop panel for desktop use

Dark Zenith

I am an older gamer who used to game on a small tv, and the monitor that was my baby circa 2000 was a viewsonic aperture grille 17” crt that was rated for 1600x1200 resolution, but could do 2048x1536 which looked amazing on games.   I currently have a 27” 4K dell monitor, a 25” Alienware aw2518 1080p g-sync 240hz monitor and a Dell 27” 1440p 144hz g-sync monitor.  

I am finding that although it is more immersive to fill your view with as much screen as possible that I miss the older smaller displays as I could focus on one spot and still see the entire screen without resorting to my far periphery.  In action games with a multitude of things happening all over the screen and the ui being in the corners I am just starting to struggle with the larger displays.  My wish would be for someone to come out with a 1080p 144hz g-sync capable laptop screen in a desktop form factor.  

I am also a diy guy and have done some light modding of things in the past and was wondering if there was anyone who built a custom external enclosure or who adapted a larger panels electronics for use with a smaller laptop display size screen.  Trying to search for information on this online has been a nightmare.  Has anyone here come across any info like this? Either a commercial product, a diy project or a full on Frankenstein of a mess? 

G-sync would be nice but adapting a 15” or 17” 144hz panel would be the minimum.  

Thank-you in advance.  

You can get separate display drivers for laptop screens from china.

I don't know if there are any that can actually do 144Hz, but it might be something to look into.

Something like this: