Laptop cpu multiplier locked when using battery

Rska96

Hey All, first post on the forum.

I bought an Acer laptop with a Ryzen 5 2500u processor and recently noticed that the cpu clock speed was capped at 1.6GHz when on battery power. The base clock of the processor is supposed to be 2GHz. I ran CPU-Z and noticed that the multiplier was locked to 16 when on battery. Is this a bug or a "feature" to extend battery life (if it is for battery life, they shouldn't have bothered because the battery only lasts 2 hours). Are there any workarounds to "unlock" the cpu when on battery. And before you ask, I have tested using the high-performance power plan, reason I mention this is that every thread I've found on similar issues, half the responses were to try the high-performance power plan. Also, I have the latest bios from Acer and all my drivers are up to date.

In power options you should be able to set it to "high performance" then change the advance settings and under processor management change the minimum processor state.

Change advance power settings > processor power management > there should be something about minimum processor state and active cooling policy. It might be 5% which is low, just change it to 100% but be advised you will have less battery life.

I tried that, it doesn't seem to make a difference. Clock speed capped at 1.6GHz, cpu multiplier still capped at 16. When plugged in, the cpu multiplier sometimes reaches 36, and clock speeds reach 3.2GHz.

I think it's a limitation by firmware/BIOS

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

why wouldn't they make a custom power plan so that end users could choose to change it instead of limiting power usage in the BIOS.