"General failure" times to times when i ping -t

Zorbio
Go to solution Solved by Zorbio,

!!! ISSUE RESOLVED !!!

Well i wouldn't say "resolved" but more likely bypassed...

I just put my ethernet cable into a usb adapter (https://imgur.com/a/laLcsoP), i haven't been disconected since.

I still have a related question : Is the usb adapter using the same NIC ? Does my usb adapter have it's own NIC ? Or does my motherboard have two différent NIC (Like a secondary NIC for USB adapter) ?

Hi,
I have always solved my technical issues myself but this time i'm gonna need some help...

I'm having "lags" when i'm playing so i started a "ping www.google.com -t" and notice some "General failure" times to times but the ping stays stable which lead me to think that the problem doesn't come from my internet provider.

Indeed, i'm having the same issue when i ping my own router (192.168.1.1) and i don't have these "General failure" with my other computers.

And finaly when "General failure" appears my little internet icon on the right botom of the screen turn to red for a second and turn back to normal, like the wire was disconnected or my ethernet adapter was rebooting. 

What i did:

1. Flush my DNS, i kinda knew it wouldn't work but what ever.
2. Installed the last network adapter driver ( For Intel(R) Ethernet Connection i219-V, on a Asus Prime Z270-k)
3. Updated my Windows 10 (Without having other issues. I know, don't be jealous)
4. Temporaly diabled firewall.
5. And kept looking for answer ending up stuck on youtube.

Honestly i have no idea where the issue is coming from, i'm so confused.

(I have looked for a solution all day long but i didn't find anything relevent.)

Failure.PNG

I'd hunch it as some kind of NIC problem.  General failure usually means the adapter can't even queue or send the packet for whatever reason.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

1 minute ago, beersykins said:

I'd hunch it as some kind of NIC problem.  General failure usually means the adapter can't even queue or send the packet for whatever reason.

I'll check out.

You might also try another ethernet cable, you could probably recreate that behavior with 'network cable unplugged' type of activity.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

5 minutes ago, beersykins said:

You might also try another ethernet cable, you could probably recreate that behavior with 'network cable unplugged' type of activity.

i just plugged my cable into my laptop and every thing looks fine, i also tried an other cable on this computer and i'm having the same issue.

It's actually getting worst over time, i had arround 3% of lost packets and i'm already at 6%. Maybe i shouldn't have clicked on the "One click network reset" button lol.

Maybe it's just really random, i'm so confused...

!!! ISSUE RESOLVED !!!

Well i wouldn't say "resolved" but more likely bypassed...

I just put my ethernet cable into a usb adapter (https://imgur.com/a/laLcsoP), i haven't been disconected since.

I still have a related question : Is the usb adapter using the same NIC ? Does my usb adapter have it's own NIC ? Or does my motherboard have two différent NIC (Like a secondary NIC for USB adapter) ?

17 hours ago, beersykins said:

Thx, you might had the good hunch but if it's, i guess the motherboard have multiple NICs depending of the used adapter. (Which saved me from buying a new one.) 

3 hours ago, Zorbio said:

Does my usb adapter have it's own NIC

Bingo.  The adapter handles the connectivity and has its own physical management piece.   NIC is just 'Network Interface Card'.  For this discussion you can think of it as each thing that has a network port on it.

The Prime Z270-K appears to have a single onboard adapter so you can either continue using the USB one or roll like a PCIe add-on if you wanted something more onboard feeling.

I've just started runnning into this issue as well. By any chance, are you on Windows 10 1809?