Has Anyone used an LG OLED C8 55/65 Inch TV?

ThePD

I just finished renovating the living room of a house I bought last year and have been eyeing the LG C8 OLED TV's for about a year now. I know OLED has screen burn in issues if you abuse it but was curious if anyone has any experience with these TV's.

I don't have the newer model, but I do have a C7P 55in one.

If you are worried about burn in, the LGs have built-in tools to minimize the possibility of burn in.  Still, best to avoid leaving one on static images for very long periods of time.

Overall, the image quality on one is extremely nice.  Compare to my parents Samsung QLED and even my old 1440p Overlord Tempest, it out right beats those in black levels and contrast.

Oh, also, not sure if this still an issue with newer ones but be careful about the 65in models.  The previous models could have banding issues.  Hence, why I went with a 55in which tends to have a less chance of such issues.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Noted. So as long as you take care of your panel and use the built in tools you should be all set. Thanks for the input.

6 minutes ago, ThePD said:

Noted. So as long as you take care of your panel and use the built in tools you should be all set. Thanks for the input.

Yep, just be mindful with it and the TV should last a long time.  Mine is about a year old now and I have not notice any burn-in at all.

If you still not sure, Rtings have or still doing a burn in test with some that they did an article about.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

I have an LG B7 65" OLED and I absolutely love it.  The image quality is excellent and the contrast afforded by the true blacks is something I'm not sure I'll be able to ever move away from.  I was also worried initially about burn-in, but the content I watch is varied enough that it hasn't been a problem.  I do notice some very slight color banding that others have reported with similar LG OLEDs, but it's honestly not a problem in normal content.  Sometimes it's a little visible on things like solid color title/end screens on some Youtube videos (and then only if the full screen with white or yellow; no other colors seem to show it), but beyond that it's never an issue in anything else I watch.  I even hesitate to call it an issue because of how much it just doesn't affect what I'm watching.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

On 12/20/2018 at 4:32 PM, ThePD said:

I just finished renovating the living room of a house I bought last year and have been eyeing the LG C8 OLED TV's for about a year now. I know OLED has screen burn in issues if you abuse it but was curious if anyone has any experience with these TV's.

Rtings.com is doing a burn-in test on OLEDs . .Check them out.

Short answer is while Burn is possible, general varied use , which can incude PC use and gaming, is unlikely to cause burn in. Though temporary image retention will occure with any static image, such as Channel logo's and software UI.

Longer answere:

Specific use casses are not recommended.

if you only ever watch sports channels, dont get an OLED, the score boards will eventualy burn in.

If you only watch news channels, dont get an OLED, their channel logo's will eventualy burn in

If your only ever going to play 1 specific game, for example if your a dedicated Fifa player, dont get an OLED, its UI will eventualy burn in.

However if u intend to use it for vaired use, watching movies, tv shows, computer use, game use ..all varied , and u ensure u dont leave static UI elements up on screen for excessive amounts of time, you will be fine.

For PC use, treat an OLED like u would a Plasma or CRT. Set up a screen saver, setup an idle powerdown timer on the screen, use autohide taskbar on windows, dont open up browsers and other windows in fullscreen (to avoid the window UI from always being up in the top left and right of the screen (e.g X for close)). This has worked for me, and after 8 years of use with my Plasma it has no screen burn dispite only ever being used for PC use.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

If you use it for TV and not as a computer monitor it will be fine.

Just don't watch the same TV channel for 8 hours a day, cause then the logo will burn in.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020