Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

iPad Pros Shipping Bent from Apple, new feature

10 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

I'm pretty sure Apple said this so they can avoid people from purposely bending it to get a new one

Are you fucking high? That makes absolutely zero sense. Do you really think there are people out there who are buying ~$1000 tablets just to go "hurr durr let me bend it myself so I can just wait and be out the money & the product during the couple of weeks turn around time to RMA this one and get a replacement"???

You're really reaching around for Apple here bro...like I get that you must really be used to jerking this company off but give it a rest dude.

28 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Are you fucking high? That makes absolutely zero sense. Do you really think there are people out there who are buying ~$1000 tablets just to go "hurr durr let me bend it myself so I can just wait and be out the money & the product during the couple of weeks turn around time to RMA this one and get a replacement"???

You're really reaching around for Apple here bro...like I get that you must really be used to jerking this company off but give it a rest dude.

I'd bet money that more than a couple someones would be stupid enough to do exactly that (although that 'weeks rma time' could very easily be just the time it takes to get to an Apple store) -- for the Lols, to see if it really bends, to just be a dumbass (see teenagers eating tide pods), etc... Not that that would be a realistic reason for Apple calling it normal.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

yes but holding it in your hands and just trying to bend it in half is different from those. 

Yes, certain bend test are stupid as hell. But...

1. Look at tech repair channels like Louis and a lot of times issues crop up because a device can flex so easily that when its in your pocket its bending back and forth ever so slightly then a few months to a year later the solder points break. This has been proven. The worry is not in the OMG my phone bent in my pocket (yet many girls keep and sit on it in their back pocket) but over time this is going to fuck over the phone. This was then taken in account and many phones now have free space to allow the frame to flex without damaging the componets.

2. Tablets bend test are 100% realistic. People have them in bags and back packs. Say you put the 12" pro in your back pack and there is a book around half its size and sit down on train, you are now putting stress on that device. A normal device designed well could handle a fair but but this problem is that the pro bends sooooooo easily. One fuckup and its bent. 

These wont be problems for some people but seeing how the ipad pro is being marketed as a PROFESSIONAL device, many of these owners will keep these in bags of some sort. 

When Jerry did his video on the ipad he clearly mentioned that this is a concern for your backpack or suitcase. Nothing else. This is the first "bend gate" that actually makes fucking sense.  

3 hours ago, laminutederire said:

In all fairness it's not the first time and they've had nearly 0 real consequences over most of it anyway. You'll always see people telling you Apple exudes quality with not laptop without a significant flaw in more than 5 years in a row.

I was watching a video earlier about how to manage an esports team. The manager said: if there is no accountability it just can't work and everyone will eventually slack off.

That applies well here as usual.

That’s what boggles my mind! Apple is scrutinized for everything! And yet they still make dumb mistakes. Like this new iPad that’s bent out of the box. How in this world does this happen!? 

If this iPad was 1~2mm thicker and didn’t bend so easily then nobody would have said anything. It would have cost Apple just a few dollars more to manufacture the latest iPad. But Apple chooses to cheap out and make horrible decisions instead because people still buy their products no matter what. Maybe iOS is so good that people are willing to put up with anything. That’s the only reasonable explanation...

2 hours ago, 79wjd said:

I'd bet money that more than a couple someones would be stupid enough to do exactly that (although that 'weeks rma time' could very easily be just the time it takes to get to an Apple store) -- for the Lols, to see if it really bends, to just be a dumbass (see teenagers eating tide pods), etc... Not that that would be a realistic reason for Apple calling it normal.

And I'm pretty sure these cases get rejected unless they have AppleCare+ (and even that is a stretch) as such damage is not covered by the device's standard warranty

The Workhorse

R7 3700X | RTX 2070 Super | 32GB DDR4-3200 | 512GB SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Barracuda Compute | Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Station

Core i7 7700H | GTX 1060 | 8GB DDR4-2400 | 128GB SSD + 1TB HGST | Windows 10

Samsung Galaxy Note8 SM-N950F

Exynos 8895 ARM Mali G71 MP20 | 6GB LPDDR4 | 64GB internal + 128GB microSD | 6.3" 1440p "Infinity Display" AMOLED | Android Pie 9.0 w/ OneUI

And no, Apple. If I bought my iPad Pro and it came right out of the sealed packaging in a bent state, that is not fucking normal unless that device is specifically designed to be bent like the LG G Flex (I know that's a phone, but it's one of those few products designed to be bent).

According to Apple, the device is bent because of the cooling process involving the aluminum chassis and some of the plastic components and that it "shouldn't get worse over time".

Then figure out a different process

Fix your shit, Apple. I shouldn't have to play a fucking lottery of which iPad is bent and which one is not or which one is only very slightly bent when I'm paying top money for a tablet.

The Workhorse

R7 3700X | RTX 2070 Super | 32GB DDR4-3200 | 512GB SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Barracuda Compute | Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Station

Exynos 8895 ARM Mali G71 MP20 | 6GB LPDDR4 | 64GB internal + 128GB microSD | 6.3" 1440p "Infinity Display" AMOLED | Android Pie 9.0 w/ OneUI

Also let it sink. Even if the bend tests aren't real-world use cases, but if the tablet can bend from the manufacturing process or cooling how weak it must be. Yeah, with enough force anything bends, but bending out of manufacturing process isn't something normal or at least isn't something that everybody would call normal.

For our residence Apple defender. The return policy is BS as long as Apple doesn't sell directly world wide and only directly. Resellers probably sell a way more than Apple alone just because there's more of them and they might have different return policies. And that's where this is so much BS because with this many resellers may deny refunds because the product isn't defective and totally "normally curved".

Didn't they say the same shit after the iphone 6 bending issue came to light? 

Yeah, customers can turn a blind eye to the bending issue. However, there were many issues that arose years after release of the iphone 6 due to flexing, not bending. Design flaws happen to the best companies. To turn a blind eye to it and say its normal after dealing with the same issue 4 years ago... get outta here with that garbage. 

i7 8700k 5.0ghz  / 32GB gskill tridentz / ASUS Z370-A Prime / EVGA RTX 2080 Super XC / LG 34GL750 / Logitech G513 romerg tactile / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2019 Razer Blade Stealth / iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB

13 minutes ago, vetali said:

Didn't they say the same shit after the iphone 6 bending issue came to light? 

The iPhone 6 bent due to a relatively weak frame and design flaw that caused it to be more susceptible to flex damage over time, especially to the mainboard. 

I don't recall many iPhone 6 models arriving in a bent state. 

The Workhorse

The Portable Station

19 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

back on topic: would having a face of flat glass and a face of flat aluminium induce unequal thermal warping? o_o I'm thinking if the environment from manufacturing to ambient anywhere else.... (then again more warping specifically in certain location and temperate conditions could indicate that such)

49 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

According to Apple, the device is bent because of the cooling process involving the aluminum chassis and some of the plastic components and that it "shouldn't get worse over time".

oh dang I really haven't been reading ,_,

9 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

do u even know how a recall works?

What? Make a point. Their recall program usually lasts from anywhere between 1-3 years

6 hours ago, imreloadin said:

Oh wow, you could've thought for like 10 seconds before reubutting on that. Say I own an iPad and scratch it, or theres a minor screen damage, because say I dropped it. Under this recall, anyone can easily bend it and claim that then bend caused the damage and under which Apple will be obligated to replace the iPad, FOR FREE. There will be more than a handfew who would definitely take advantage of it. Waiting few days for RMA to get a brand new shiny device, especially after it's been used roughly and extensively isn't even a question.

And FYI replacement program doesn't take weeks in Apple Stores, they do it instantly as all they have to do is hand down a brand new device.

It's not a defect, it's a feature. It's for ergonomics. /s

C'mon Apple... Really? This is ridiculous.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Phone: iPhone SE 2020 | 64GB iOS
Laptop: HP EliteBook 9470m | Core i5 3437U | 16GB RAM | 250GB SSD | Windows 10 & Ubuntu 20.10

PC: Supermicro X8DT3 | 2x Xeon X5650 | R9 290X | 32GB RAM500GB SSD | Bitfenix Whisper 850W | Windows 10

10 hours ago, 79wjd said:

No, you really can't. Some asshole on the internet bending an iPad means absolutely nothing without some data supporting the amount of force required. 

Compare paper being bent to a steel bar. Yes, such a video is not absolutely accurate. But you can glean some info from it. It was obvious the aluminium was really too soft from the video (compared to the other devices some also failed similar, some bounced back).

I was not saying you could get measurements, but results. You can see where the device cracks, if it's shatter proof, or if it's safety glass. If it flexes or if it bends/dents. If the battery explodes or fizzes.

37 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Under this recall, anyone can easily bend it and claim that then bend caused the damage and under which Apple will be obligated to replace the iPad, FOR FREE

You know good consumer protections allready kinda do this right?

Its a design flaw, meaning that if the customer wasnt aware of it at the time purschase. It is only natural to be able to get a recall if other unrelated damages are present.

If there is a customer claiming the design flaw caused X damages, then if Apple wants to refute this, then they would need to prove that it isnt the case. 

44 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Say I own an iPad and scratch it, or theres a minor screen damage, because say I dropped it. 

Regular scratches count as wear and tear. If the screen is damaged and you bend it afterwards. Apple will have to prove that the device was bent afterwards, or else the damage is essentially done by the design flaw.

There are details to these things, though i dont want to get into too many details

52 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

What? Make a point. Their recall program usually lasts from anywhere between 1-3 years

Oh wow, you could've thought for like 10 seconds before reubutting on that. Say I own an iPad and scratch it, or theres a minor screen damage, because say I dropped it. Under this recall, anyone can easily bend it and claim that then bend caused the damage and under which Apple will be obligated to replace the iPad, FOR FREE. There will be more than a handfew who would definitely take advantage of it. Waiting few days for RMA to get a brand new shiny device, especially after it's been used roughly and extensively isn't even a question.

And FYI replacement program doesn't take weeks in Apple Stores, they do it instantly as all they have to do is hand down a brand new device.

Well that's how a recall works, sure there are going to be a few dishonest people damaging their own device, but its Apple's fault for not having the proper QA and sending out bent iPads in the first place. Scratches and minor damage are normal use, the tablet being shipped bent isn't normal no matter how much the media and youtubers want to defend it.

Like the defective batteries and keyboards in macbooks, Apple should be obligated to replace it because when a person is paying more for a product that should be better it shouldn't be defective out of the box.

43 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Definition:

A product recall is a request from a manufacturer to return a product after the discovery of safety issues or product defects that might endanger the consumer or put the maker/seller at risk of legal action.

The recall is an effort to limit ruination of the corporate image and limit liability for corporate negligence, which can cause significant legal costs. It can be difficult, if not impossible, to determine how costly can be releasing to the consumer a product that could endanger someone's life and the economic loss resulting from unwanted publicity. Recalls are costly. Costs include having to handle the recalled product, replacing it and possibly being held financially responsible for the consequences of the recalled product.

A country's consumer protection laws will have specific requirements in regard to product recalls. Such regulations may include how much of the cost the maker will have to bear, situations in which a recall is compulsory (usually because the risk is big enough), or penalties for failure to recall. The firm may also initiate a recall voluntarily, perhaps subject to the same regulations as if the recall were compulsory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_recall

A recall would imply for Apple to take back all sold iPads and remove them from the market. No matter the state of the device, how much time as passed since it was purchased and aesthetical condition

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

no one ever asked for a THIN device, 

remember the days where everyone was holding their "thick" nokia phone firmly

7 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

no one ever asked for a THIN device, 

remember the days where everyone was holding their "thick" nokia phone firmly

*No one asked for an absurdly thin device

Thinner is okay as long as it doesn't come at the cost of the core essentials, like battery life and structural integrity.

The Workhorse

The Portable Station

27 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

a few dishonest people damaging their own device, but its Apple's fault

that's how that works... lmao

Laptop: HP EliteBook 9470m | Core i5 3437U | 16GB RAM | 250GB SSD | Windows 10 & Ubuntu 20.10

PC: Supermicro X8DT3 | 2x Xeon X5650 | R9 290X | 32GB RAM500GB SSD | Bitfenix Whisper 850W | Windows 10

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

that's how that works... lmao

For shipping iPads bent from the factory, if there were a recall Apple couldn't blame it on you for having a bent ipad. Not sure why you had to take my post out of content.

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

For shipping iPads bent from the factory, if there were a recall Apple couldn't blame it on you for having a bent ipad. Not sure why you had to take my post out of content.

I just find it funny how it can be Apple's fault if people damage their own device. that's what I found funny. I agree with the rest of that post, but that sentence made me facepalm. 

48 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

I just find it funny how it can be Apple's fault if people damage their own device. that's what I found funny. I agree with the rest of that post, but that sentence made me facepalm. 

Sorry, it must be me being used to over the top good consumer protections. 

If the damage comes from design flaw, then its natural to get an replacement. If the damage is user cause its a different matter. 

I know what you are getting at, but this issue has gone far enough to be design fault. The extras that comes with design faults are psudo punishment for not creating a device without design flaws.

Offcourse wear and tear do not count toward design flaw.

1 hour ago, firelighter487 said:

You really think people that would spend $800 or more on a tablet would bend their own device just so they can wait around for a return? If someone accidentally bent their tablet through normal use then it is still the fault of the company for making a device with a flaw when the tablet bends so easily. A company that cares about its consumers would replace it anyway under a product recall.

If Apple were to admit there is a problem with these iPads they would have to prove that the damage new out of the box isn't a design flaw. It seems like these tablets are flawed to the point that some tablets are bent from the manufacturing process.