Old Star Wars games appear on Origin

RileyTheFox

In recent days, many old games of the Star Wars franchise appeared for sale on EA's games platform, Origin. This is quite surprising considering the most iconic Star Wars game on there, Star Wars Battlefront II (not the 2017 version) was released in 2005. The developers of the game, Pandemic Studios, ceased operations in 2009 shortly after being bought out by EA. There are no stories on this as I've yet seen but I thought this might be interesting.

Battlefront II is currently on sale for £2.87. Much cheaper than Steam's offering of around £7.

There's two things that could possibly happen with the old games being on Origin. In Battlefront II's specific case, online mode may be brought back fully after the servers were shut down in 2014. The servers did open back up in a small effort at the start of this year, however it had many bugs and the main menus are not designed for 16:9 displays. Considering EA bought Pandemic Studios, they would have all rights and possibly original game files to the original Battlefront II and may update the game to support newer technologies and also enable online mode once more. 

The other thing (and most likely thing) that might be happening is that EA is just trying to make an attempt at getting people to buy the old games for as cheap as possible to get more money. If this is the case, I don't see it being too successful as most people who played the games before either had it on disc or bought it on Steam years later.

If EA actually started to bring functionality back to the game, I would definitely buy the game for the insanely cheap price just to play it again, as I can only imagine they will push the updates to Origin to encourage people to buy it on their platforms again. Online play is only playable if you download a modded exe file that points the address to the online servers to a custom hosted one. This is obviously something many people don't know exists/how to do so the player numbers are ludicrously small. If official online play was brought back, it may make people want to buy it for the nostalgic feels of the old game.

Picture of old Star Wars games on Origin (Battlefront II, The Old Republic (F2P), Empire at War, Knights of the Old Republic (P2P version of The Old Republic))

e8583320ec0f723c4fe51b25fb4a48832eb62d2220fb1b40ef044ad8ba801c24.png

(I'm sorry there are no quotes, no media outlet has posted on this because it is probably irrelevant, but I believe there might be a plan to this other than squeezing more money out of it)

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700  

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070

MOBO: ASUS Z370-F STRIX  

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2133MHz

Does their version of Battlefront II 2005 have the multiplayer update GoG and Steam have? Also though this is pretty cool, GoG has regular sales (around $2.50-3.70 or so) pretty damn regularly on all these classics, and their versions of KOTOR and such especially are more stable and just work better than the Steam ones according to reviews (IDK what version Origin has). Biggest plus is that they're DRM free, no need for any internet connection at all or any app running in the background (and you can install it on multiple PCs, I have copies of BF2 2005 on several laptops and such at home so my sibs can play modded LAN matches), though if you do want one GoG Galaxy is excellent. 

TL;DR: Pretty cool of EA so long as their copies are actually stable, but GoG does it better already without the need for the pretty crappy Origin app. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

I think this is more of a Origin Access membership grab.  I just canceled mine last night because BF5 is losing its cool factor (and I should have just bought it for 30 on black Friday sales).  The only reason I canceled my Origin membership is lack of games I actually want to play - so Im guessing its just anything cheap they can add to the subscription plan.  And Star Wars has its cult following.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

2 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

They also brought a bunch of old Star Wars games back up on steam earlier.

The old Star Wars games are usually really cheap on Steam during the big sales, I picked up the OG BF2 for just a couple dollars last year or the year before.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Does their version of Battlefront II 2005 have the multiplayer update GoG and Steam have? Also though this is pretty cool, GoG has regular sales (around $2.50-3.70 or so) pretty damn regularly on all these classics, and their versions of KOTOR and such especially are more stable and just work better than the Steam ones according to reviews (IDK what version Origin has). Biggest plus is that they're DRM free, no need for any internet connection at all or any app running in the background (and you can install it on multiple PCs, I have copies of BF2 2005 on several laptops and such at home so my sibs can play modded LAN matches), though if you do want one GoG Galaxy is excellent. 

TL;DR: Pretty cool of EA so long as their copies are actually stable, but GoG does it better already without the need for the pretty crappy Origin app. 

I don’t know if it’s the same version. I bought the Steam version when I heard about multiplayer being enabled this year and I played around 8 hours of it before I got fed up of the bugs every damn time I tried to join lobbies. 

Im hoping they update the game to make it more stable. The main menu needs changing to support 16:9 and online play could be more stable than it is on Steam.

3 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

I think this is more of a Origin Access membership grab.  I just canceled mine last night because BF5 is losing its cool factor (and I should have just bought it for 30 on black Friday sales).  The only reason I canceled my Origin membership is lack of games I actually want to play - so Im guessing its just anything cheap they can add to the subscription plan.  And Star Wars has its cult following.

I don’t think so. Battlefront II can be bought without a membership for £3.

Just now, SlimyPython said:

They have lootboxes right... Right?

Yes new update just released! In order to join a lobby, you must buy a $3 key to open a loot box where you have a 35% chance of gaining the ability to play online. So worth it!

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

The old Star Wars games are usually really cheap on Steam during the big sales, I picked up the OG BF2 for just a couple dollars last year or the year before.

b4Pk9yv.gif

I love all those games to pieces. Was super hyped when they brought back Episode 1 racer recently (6 bucks).

And for the rest ... BF, BF2, EaW, Republic commando, KotoR, the force unleashed... you name it ?

My all time favourite was always Hero Battle on Tatooine in BF2 ^^

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

1 minute ago, EvilCat70 said:

I don’t know if it’s the same version. I bought the Steam version when I heard about multiplayer being enabled this year and I played around 8 hours of it before I got fed up of the bugs every damn time I tried to join lobbies. 

Im hoping they update the game to make it more stable. The main menu needs changing to support 16:9 and online play could be more stable than it is on Steam.

I don’t think so. Battlefront II can be bought without a membership for £3.

But...all of them are available for Access Basic or Premier.  I guess you missed my point.  They recently went Subscription based - there are like 60+ games you can play for $15 a month.  Adding old cheap titles is the quickest way to build up that library of "free games" for subscription.  Adding Triple AAA new releases - expensive AF.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Just now, Nicnac said:

b4Pk9yv.gif

I love all those games to pieces. Was super hyped when they brought back Episode 1 racer recently.

And for the rest ... BF, BF2, EaW, Republic commando, KotoR, the force unleashed... you name it ?

I remember the Force Unleashed on the DS. I was like 5 and didn’t know how to get past one of the levels really early on so I quit playing it. 

Yes new update just released! In order to join a lobby, you must buy a $3 key to open a loot box where you have a 35% chance of gaining the ability to play online. So worth it!

Also, After that 35% chance, There will be a 15% chance to join in with people as good as you and a 100% chance that youll join with people better than you

✨FNIGE✨

I remember the Force Unleashed on the DS. I was like 5 and didn’t know how to get past one of the levels really early on so I quit playing it. 

I went back thru a bunch of PS2 games like 5 years ago (when I was 20) that were too hard for me when I was younger and I really enjoyed that.

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

Just now, SlimyPython said:

Also, After that 35% chance, There will be a 15% chance to join in with people as good as you and a 100% chance that youll join with people better than you

And if you want to play as any heroes or villains in game? You must play for 40 hours to unlock one!

2 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

But...all of them are available for Access Basic or Premier.  I guess you missed my point.  They recently went Subscription based - there are like 60+ games you can play for $15 a month.  Adding old cheap titles is the quickest way to build up that library of "free games" for subscription.  Adding Triple AAA new releases - expensive AF.

You missed what I said too. Battlefront II is available without a membership at all, along with another one. The ones that are Origin Access are a paid version of the free edition, that is also available without Origin Access (free and paid)

None of these games are behind a membership, and are honestly so cheap anyways that buying a membership would cost more than buying the games standalone (in the long run)

Just now, EvilCat70 said:

And if you want to play as any heroes or villains in game? You must play for 40 hours to unlock one!

You missed what I said too. Battlefront II is available without a membership at all, along with another one. The ones that are Origin Access are a paid version of the free edition, that is also available without Origin Access (free and paid)

None of these games are behind a membership, and are honestly so cheap anyways that buying a membership would cost more than buying the games standalone (in the long run)

There are lots of free games on Origin...I get 1 a month with no membership usually.  So you are saying they only added Battlefront 2 2005 edition?  Or did they not also add those other Star Wars games to the Basic and Premier membership points (I don't remember seeing some of them last time I looked)?  Because its called nostalgic bait lol. (to get you to buy the membership)

Interesting............  But it's still ea so I'mma stick to steam.

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

When will there be a new knights of the old republic?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition