Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sharing an old 3rd party tech support experience.

Poraf

Seeing the latest Linum video with the SI tech support, I felt like sharing an old experience I had with 3rd party tech support when I was younger.

8-9 years ago (more or less) I had a pre built computer gifted to me. For about two years it worked fine, I played games most of the time until at one point it started to show some problems. It had its fair share of issues but the most notable was shutting itself off after some period of time.

Being a kid that had no knowledge of computer hardware, my mum and I brought it to a third party PC repair shop. Left it there for a few days and when we got it back the issues were fixed... for about a week or two. The issues showed up again and we brought it back, when we got it back the following week they said the PC was failing and they couldn't do anything about it. Me being ignorant to computers, just believed my PC was dead.

Fast forward to today, I already have the knowledge of PC components and hardware etc. and one day I thought I'd open the old chassis for old time's sake. Guess what I found inside, a PSU with all of its cables cut, not pulled, just straight up cut. No wonder my old PC died and having waited 5 years before I had my next PC left a sour taste in my mouth.

TL;DR: I opened an old PC I had as a kid and found its PSU cables were cut by the PC shop I brought it to get repaired some years ago.

I still don't know what happened to my PC, but I reckon it was throttling too much.

So the PSU was custom cut to get rid of unwanted cables, or it was cut to disable the PC by destroying critical cables?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 hours ago, Poraf said:

one day I thought I'd open the old chassis for old time's sake. Guess what I found inside, a PSU with all of its cables cut, not pulled, just straight up cut. 

Post pictures.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Which cables were cut exactly? It wouldn't have been able to even POST after your first visit if they had cut them.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600 / GPU: Radeon HD7970 GHz 3GB with Noctua Fans / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 11 Pro

5 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Which cables were cut exactly? It wouldn't have been able to even POST after your first visit if they had cut them.

The PSU cables were cut the second time I brought it for repairs, when I got it back they said it was dead and it didn't turn on completely. The first time I it was returned it still posted.

9 hours ago, fasauceome said:

So the PSU was custom cut to get rid of unwanted cables, or it was cut to disable the PC by destroying critical cables?

I'm thinking the latter, but who knows, maybe they intentionally cut it to prevent further potential damage.