[RUMORS] Windows 10 is moving to a subscription based activation system?

Old rumors, but screw anything subscription based. Especially OS as subscription based that's so bad in so many ways. If it would end up being sub based only it would fail on such a grand scale. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

7 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Old rumors, but screw anything subscription based. Especially OS as subscription based that's so bad in so many ways. If it would end up being sub based only it would fail on such a grand scale. 

This time they seem are hiring for product managers for a new Microsoft 365 subscription which is rumored is going to be an option for home users 

9 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

This time they seem are hiring for product managers for a new Microsoft 365 subscription which is rumored is going to be an option for home users 

Yeah. Office 2019 seems to be the last standalone suite. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

As the OP said, I think this might only apply to Windows 10 LTSB (the enterprise build) which would make sense if M$ planned to do something different with the OS in terms of super security or something of that nature. Otherwise heresy.

20 hours ago, Mooshi said:

If it all goes to shit, I'd switch to Mac OS and console gaming.

You cant switch to MacOS without buying a mac laptop or system, hackintosh is full of issues and no support, nasty bugs wont be fixed and someday you might get completely blocked from using it by software update.

Console gaming is shit but thats your decision.

Windows is dying, one day there will be the last version of key activated windows and then you wont be able to use new versions of 10 without subcriptions thats how microsoft does stuff, they will lock down the platform bit by bit make no mistake. They just do it slowly is small pieces, death by a 1000 papercuts alongside EEE technique its how they takeover software industry, watch how they will try to ruin Chromium by joining it even if they have no rights over the project... yet.

22 hours ago, Eaglerino said:

Depending how much it would cost every month, I wouldn't really be against the convenience of getting endless updates and never having to upgrade to a new OS. I would hope they'd let me put it on multiple computers too, but that's probably just dreaming

linux does that for free. If we could just get devs to support it more...

13 hours ago, corrado33 said:

I don't think so. I think linux will be too "high maintenance" for them. Plus linux is a hell of a lot easier to deal with if you can use the console well, and I'd say that 95% of windows users do NOT know bash. 

I think it'll just be like it was for windows 8, with companies offering free downgrades to windows 7. 

If a company like conical or red hat would advertise and push linux in a media blitz they would probably get more linux users. Would be good if they could get dell and HP, to push their linux line of computers (If they still offer them. I haven't looked lately. Linux's biggest benefit and downfall is the fact that its open, and any one can make a new version. They need a standard coherent "Linux" that every one agrees to use as the base model. (I personally prefer Debian as a base over red-hat.)

1 minute ago, DavidKalinowski said:

They need a standard coherent "Linux" that every one agrees to use as the base model.

Or they could just go with TrueOS, a Unix distro that kicks in the teeth of just about any consumer oriented Linux distro.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, DavidKalinowski said:

If a company like conical or red hat would advertise and push linux in a media blitz they would probably get more linux users. Would be good if they could get dell and HP, to push their linux line of computers (If they still offer them. I haven't looked lately. Linux's biggest benefit and downfall is the fact that its open, and any one can make a new version. They need a standard coherent "Linux" that every one agrees to use as the base model. (I personally prefer Debian as a base over red-hat.)

Dell does, my XPS works perfectly

Anyway commonly it's just Ubuntu, most of the time it's the first distro getting support for everything

1 minute ago, Lukyp said:

Dell does, my XPS works perfectly

Anyway commonly it's just Ubuntu, most of the time it's the first distro getting support for everything

At least its being offered. I'm just not a huge fan of gnome any more. I liked it okay back in the day (like 1998 era) but I find my self drawn to XFCE and whatever mint uses (for the life of me I can not remember its name.)

10 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Or they could just go with TrueOS, a Unix distro that kicks in the teeth of just about any consumer oriented Linux distro.

isnt TrueOS a BSD fork? (googles..)yes thats what I though. I need to download it and give it a shot.

Just now, DavidKalinowski said:

isnt TrueOS a BSD fork? (googles..)yes thats what I though. I need to download it and give it a shot.

Specifically, it's FreeBSD that is already set up for consumers, maintained by the same people as FreeBSD and I believe the FreeNAS and TrueNAS variants.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

11 minutes ago, DavidKalinowski said:

At least its being offered. I'm just not a huge fan of gnome any more. I liked it okay back in the day (like 1998 era) but I find my self drawn to XFCE and whatever mint uses (for the life of me I can not remember its name.)

Yeah I'm not using gnome either, Ubuntu has different flavors with different desktops which are just set of packages that changes the distro name on bootup 

2 hours ago, yian88 said:

You cant switch to MacOS without buying a mac laptop or system, hackintosh is full of issues and no support, nasty bugs wont be fixed and someday you might get completely blocked from using it by software update.

I can confirm running a Hackintosh through VMware, it's a very buggy system, updates to either the VM software itself on the iso through major MacOS updates do not confirm continued compatibility or function. Sometimes I would try and run in it and it simply wouldn't work requiring full reinstall of the iso. It's worth it to just buy an Apple product if you want to run MacOS, Hackintosh can be done but it's less than ideal.

19 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I've never heard of TrueOS, I'll have to check it out at some stage, thanks for the recommendation.

8 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

Yeah I'm not using gnome either, Ubuntu has different flavors with different desktops which are just set of packages that changes the distro name on bootup 

yea, ive used Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubunt, Edubuntu, Mint, Cent OS, Fedora, OpenSuse, Mandrake (that was my first experience with linux) Majaro etc. I typically fall back to minx with XFCE just because it seems to need the least amount of tweaking to get it the way I want.

At one point back when floppy disks where still viable I even tried using the QNX os that fit on a floppy. It was neat, and I really wish it had caught on in consumer stuff. (I was shocked a few years ago when RIM became BlackBerry and the new bb phones ran QNX as their OS. I had high hopes for them..)

19 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Well... that would depend on your metrics. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against FreeBSD, but for personal use it's a bit lacking in many regards. I'd say Linux is generally more mature in that sense. I'm not one to shy away from obscure workarounds and wandering off the path, but when trying FreeBSD I always felt I could do much of what I was doing more effectively on Linux. It's partly personal preference though, so... use what you like!

37 minutes ago, DavidKalinowski said:

They need a standard coherent "Linux" that every one agrees to use as the base model. (I personally prefer Debian as a base over red-hat.)

Well, you just demonstrated why we don't have "the" Linux distro ^^

Also, no love for Arch? :(

I use Arch BTW

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

6 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Well... that would depend on your metrics. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against FreeBSD, but for personal use it's a bit lacking in many regards. I'd say Linux is generally more mature in that sense. I'm not one to shy away from obscure workarounds and wandering off the path, but when trying FreeBSD I always felt I could do much of what I was doing more effectively on Linux. It's partly personal preference though, so... use what you like!

I use Arch BTW

For whatever reason I never got around to using arch. I'll have to give it a go too. and yea, I know, thats what linux's biggest plus and minus is; that is is open and can be modded to be what people want. Its why there are so many.  (but hell I know a guy who still swears by his amiga. Not sure how he functions on it honestly..)

4 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I use Arch BTW

FreeBSD is kinda bare bones. TrueOS is basically as to FreeBSD as OSX is to Darwin, except TrueOS is still completely open source.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

7 hours ago, Genericplane said:

IMO this would be a complete suicide for Microsoft... everyone not involved in a business will probably just either pirate windows or deal with the watermark- or just move to console gaming and linux.

nope, MS could stop with window altogether and still be just fine of their cloud business.  But they won;t do that because no one gives up revenue without a good cause.

Also Majority of windows installs are on prebuilt computers.  OEM's like acer, HP, Dell, Lenevo et al have to offer customer support for the pre installed OS, some of them experimented with Linux but it didn't work or was not cost effective (profession Linux support is just as expensive (if not more) to provide as windows support).

In fact moving to a cub based system might make windows more attractive if the support side of things essentially became as long as the sub.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I'm tired of things being subscription services. I keep trying to cut these kind of ongoing expenses while companies just keep trying to make more of them.

I would rather install an older illegitimate copy of windows or Ubuntu or some shit than pay monthly, yearly or w/e for an OS for my home PC system.

9 hours ago, DavidKalinowski said:

one point back when floppy disks where still viable I even tried using the QNX os that fit on a floppy. It was neat, and I really wish it had caught on in consumer stuff. (I was shocked a few years ago when RIM became BlackBerry and the new bb phones ran QNX as their OS. I had high hopes for them..)

QNX is neat indeed, and one of the only *nix like microkernel available out there, would be cool if they would have released it as full open source code

IMO if Windows becomes a subscription base then it should include Office as an option. This way I don't have to pay for both separately. 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On 12/19/2018 at 6:00 PM, bcredeur97 said:

yeah until only 10% of their customers actually use it because convenience and they just get rid of it.

thats because the have reps push 365. at microcenter i only sold the normal office when the customer said they didn’t want a subscription. 

LOOK AT MY NEW FLAG DESIGNS FOR PA AND VOTE ON YOUR FAVORITE

LOOK AT MY FIRST BATCH OF DESIGNS HERE

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

Cooler Master Seidon 240m

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive