[RUMORS] Windows 10 is moving to a subscription based activation system?

5 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

For what like 90% of people do in Windows, most would be just fine with Linux for things like browsing in Chrome/Firefox, or using a spreadsheet or word app.

True but no native microsoft office may be a problem for a lot of people. Open office sucks and you know it. That said office for mac sucks as well, but it sucks less than open office.

9 hours ago, Nicnac said:

pls get steam os (especially proton)  ready valve plssss

ye valve i hate to say it but forget half life 3 what we need is steamOS

24 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

True but no native microsoft office may be a problem for a lot of people. Open office sucks and you know it. That said office for mac sucks as well, but it sucks less than open office.

LibreOffice is perfectly cool, if only gov's would use OpenDocument format more instead of forcing ppl to use Office. It was most baffling when cousin was forced to use MS Office to make a presentation for school. 8th graders! How on earth they expect kids to have an office package that used to cost like 150€ back then. We did it in OpenOffice, but of course presentation ended up being all screwed up because Office interpreted it in its own way...

Meh, I bounce between linux and windows all the time.   I can't see MS doing it, In fact I see them going the other way and just making it a basic OS that is either free or dirt cheap and leave GUI and shit like that to the OSS community.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

8 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Nothing. Same is true of Linux.

it can run whatever UI you want, support package managers and best of all it doesn't spy on you. 

8 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Linux is only stable on a microscopic selection of hardware

prove that. 

8 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Same is true of Linux, but Windows ships with generic drivers that works with just about all hardware that will run Windows.

and again same for Linux. 

9 hours ago, Lukyp said:

file managers with multi-tab support

macOS has that as well. 

1639841428_ScreenShot2018-12-20at10_21_23.png.68b22eaaa58fe72167b110b483938f60.png

She/Her

22 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

macOS has that as well. 

1639841428_ScreenShot2018-12-20at10_21_23.png.68b22eaaa58fe72167b110b483938f60.png

I said had, I was 13 years old when I was using tabbed file managers in Linux, Macos just added this a bit later if I don't remember wrong 

3 hours ago, Nowak said:

Actually, since 2014, just as Windows 10 began ramping up.

Personally I only remember the one for businesses 1 year ago which actually became a thing, and this time today  

2 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

These still are rumours so we have no specifics

Well you could try buying a business subscription as I already says this actually exists, I think they are regular OEM keys which will expire if you stop paying 

Windows 7 for life

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

we are all fucked arent we? 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

Microsoft makes most of their revenue from selling windows to enterprises anyway, home user will not be affected trust me, otherwise they will lose a huge market share in the consumer sector, they will not want to do that. They should make an absolutely free LITE version for home use only and a subscription based service with support and all that other crap that businesses may benefit from, OS is like a necessity at this point it should not cost money for home use.

and here new versions of macOS are still free.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

4 hours ago, corrado33 said:

Microsoft is a software company. Their software will never be free.

Except there are plenty of successful software companies that make a free product...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

48 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Except there are plenty of successful software companies that make a free product...

Name one. 

I paid 5 Euro for Windows 10 and that is all it´s worth. No way I am paying more, or even monthly

9 minutes ago, FlappyBoobs said:

Name one. 

1. Google
  2. Red Hat
  3. Facebook
  4. Oracle
  5. TeamViewer

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

7 minutes ago, Sauron said:
  1. Google
  2. Red Hat
  3. Facebook
  4. Oracle
  5. TeamViewer

You forgot VMWare, Player is the free and the most used, Workstation and Horizon are for companies 

Imo with redhat they are the best 

10 minutes ago, Sauron said:
  1. Google
  2. Red Hat
  3. Facebook
  4. Oracle
  5. TeamViewer

Google is an advertising company, not a software development company.

Red Hat is not free, you have to pay for support as a company.

Facebook is a social network, not a software development company.

Oracle is not free, only the express edition.

TeamViewer is only free for personal use, not for business use, which is where it's target market is.

Basically none of those examples run a software development company that offers all of their software for free other than Red Hat, but as a company you have to pay them for support, which is expensive.

14 hours ago, Lukyp said:

full-on subscription

Bad news!

Linux O/S will be the next step.

In the meantimes, how long does W10 lifeline have?

Because I mean W7 is still rocking and alive right, until 2020 I do believe.

7 minutes ago, FlappyBoobs said:

I would say Google has software behind the scenes for all their tracking they do of everything Google has, from reading your emails, to the analytical data. They got their own software, and yes they do develop their own software. Just because they dont sell it, or advertise it, doesnt mean they dont hire people for the software they want to milk all the information off you that you will freely give to them and they will profit from it.

10 minutes ago, FlappyBoobs said:

You might have missed the part where they literally develop a free operating system.

10 minutes ago, FlappyBoobs said:

Red Hat is not free, you have to pay for support as a company.

CentOS is identical to RH because RH is open source. If you want RH for free, you can get it legally. You don't get the support, but I never said MS' enterprise support ought to be free - just windows itself. If that's not good enough for you, try Canonical - Ubuntu is free to use for everyone, you just have the option to pay for direct support.

12 minutes ago, FlappyBoobs said:

Facebook is a social network, not a software development company.

Because a social network apparently is NOT software... pls.

15 minutes ago, FlappyBoobs said:

Oracle is not free, only the express edition.

I don't recall ever paying for virtualbox, java or mysql.

12 minutes ago, FlappyBoobs said:

TeamViewer is only free for personal use, not for business use, which is where it's target market is.

Is Windows free for personal use?

13 minutes ago, FlappyBoobs said:

Basically none of those examples run a software development company that offers all of their software for free other than Red Hat, but as a company you have to pay them for support, which is expensive.

They all do unless you're in deep denial. Twisting what I said to fit your argument won't make you right.

15 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

You forgot VMWare, Player is the free and the most used, Workstation and Horizon are for companies 

Imo with redhat they are the best 

True, though I could have gone on for a while if I had listed EVERY company that does this.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

24 minutes ago, Sauron said:

You might have missed the part where they literally develop a free operating system.

CentOS is identical to RH because RH is open source. If you want RH for free, you can get it legally. You don't get the support, but I never said MS' enterprise support ought to be free - just windows itself. If that's not good enough for you, try Canonical - Ubuntu is free to use for everyone, you just have the option to pay for direct support.

Because a social network apparently is NOT software... pls.

I don't recall ever paying for virtualbox, java or mysql.

Is Windows free for personal use?

They all do unless you're in deep denial. Twisting what I said to fit your argument won't make you right.

True, though I could have gone on for a while if I had listed EVERY company that does this.

You seem to think that "software development company" is the same as "company that has developed software" and that is where you are mistaken. Facebook and Google are simply not development companies, their business has nothing to do with selling or even giving away software. All their products are designed to show you advertising, that's how they make their money.

It seems that you are thinking in terms of home users, but just because YOU never encountered having to pay for real licenses doesn't mean that the companies you mentioned never get money for the software that they create. 

It's perfectly understandable that MS would charge a subscription to companies but home users would get the "free" version instead, which is how most of those companies that give YOU "free" software work. in other words the business users pay for the home users to have "free" software. 

7 minutes ago, FlappyBoobs said:

You seem to think that "software development company" is the same as "company that has developed software" and that is where you are mistaken. Facebook and Google are simply not development companies, their business has nothing to do with selling or even giving away software. All their products are designed to show you advertising, that's how they make their money.

Microsoft's core business is enterprise support and the office suite (plus additions), definitely not selling windows licenses to home users. By your own definition, MS isn't a software company.

By a sensible definition, all the companies I listed are software companies.

13 minutes ago, FlappyBoobs said:

It seems that you are thinking in terms of home users, but just because YOU never encountered having to pay for real licenses doesn't mean that the companies you mentioned never get money for the software that they create.

I said WINDOWS ought to be free. Windows on its own is ONLY useful to home users. I never said MS should do everything for free. That's just you climbing mirrors.

15 minutes ago, FlappyBoobs said:

It's perfectly understandable that MS would charge a subscription to companies but home users would get the "free" version instead, which is how most of those companies that give YOU "free" software work. in other words the business users pay for the home users to have "free" software. 

Which is what I've been saying all along, and you responded with

Microsoft is a software company. Their software will never be free.

which you just contradicted.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

15 hours ago, Eaglerino said:

Depending how much it would cost every month, I wouldn't really be against the convenience of getting endless updates and never having to upgrade to a new OS. I would hope they'd let me put it on multiple computers too, but that's probably just dreaming

Yeah, probably be like at work, have to pay extra for seats for the software.

I do know that through the HUP that Microsoft offers, the standalone Office suite is no longer to be offered sometime next year.  Instead, just the Office 365 sub will be offered through the HUP.  Hence, if anyone here who can currently get the suite through HUP, get it now before the standalone is gone.

Update:  that phase out date is 30 Jun 19.  On 1 Jul 19, only the O365 Home and Office cloud sub is to be offered.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

IMO this would be a complete suicide for Microsoft... everyone not involved in a business will probably just either pirate windows or deal with the watermark- or just move to console gaming and linux.