Why does everyone seem to use PuTTy?

Terryv

As asked in the subject, why do so many people still use it. 

Every OS I've used has a built in SSH client

Windows- command prompt and powershell

Linux- terminal (or whatever variant you use)

Mac- terminal

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

PuTTY has:

* ability to save and load profiles, including terminal-settings, window-sizes, usernames and so on

* can do more than just SSH

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

personally i used MobaXTerm instead of putty. 

it allows me to use ssh, rdp, vnc, and ftp with saved sessions and multi-exec so i can run the same command on multiple computers at the same time(and only have to type it once)

its also prettier

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

3 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

PuTTY has:

* ability to save and load profiles, including terminal-settings, window-sizes, usernames and so on

* can do more than just SSH

I haven't considered the saved profiles, I commit all my connections to memory

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

Where is this built in ssh client? I can't fine any on windows 7.

Also I use bitvise ssh client normally as it lets you do resize in tmux sessions over ssh and putty doesn't.

I don’t think people knew you could use cmd or power shell and all the guides just say to download PuTTY

mobaxterm is better then putty.

CPU:R9 3900x@4.5Ghz RAM:Vengeance Pro LPX @ 3200mhz MOBO:MSI Tomohawk B350 GPU:PNY GTX 1080 XLR8

DRIVES:500GB Samsung 970 Pro + Patriot Blast 480GB x2 + 12tb RAID10 NAS

MONITORS:Pixio PX329 32inch 1440p 165hz, LG 34UM68-p 1080p 75hz

2 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

I don’t think people knew you could use cmd or power shell and all the guides just say to download PuTTY

powershell is the only one with ssh, and its quite new and hard to automate rn

CPU:R9 3900x@4.5Ghz RAM:Vengeance Pro LPX @ 3200mhz MOBO:MSI Tomohawk B350 GPU:PNY GTX 1080 XLR8

You forgot X forwarding, the smallest program I could think of remains putty + xming

Ubuntu WSL ssh doesn't support X11 either on Windows together with the openssh powershell tho 

Also, it doesn't bother me that much, I don't need anything else... Also it's easier for me to put the OpenSSL certificate I think? 

11 minutes ago, JohnDongus said:

powershell is the only one with ssh, and its quite new and hard to automate rn

CMD does SSH as well

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

26 minutes ago, Terryv said:

I haven't considered the saved profiles, I commit all my connections to memory

That just goes to show that you have very simple needs. Other people may have more complex needs and there the ability to load/save full profiles with all the various settings can save a lot of time.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Ive never heard of “puTTy”

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

10 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Windows having a native SSH client in general is a recent thing. And it's optional.

yeah thats what i was wondering i never remember windows having it. I know windows has telnet but thats it from the command line.

free and when you are a noob, most tutorials use putty so you use it to not screw up just in case

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

It's what I first learned how to use SSH on so it's just habit.  It also helps that you can save profiles and stuff like that; although, I'm aware there are better programs out there nowadays such as moba.

17 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Windows having a native SSH client in general is a recent thing. And it's optional.

I had no idea it was only a recent thing, but I'm sure I never opted in to getting it.

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

1 hour ago, JohnDongus said:

mobaxterm is better then putty.

seriously.

if you only need to ssh into one device every so often, then putty is fine.  but anything more than that, and you're shooting yourself in the foot by not using mobaxterm, even the free version is far superior just in looks not to mention features

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

I use PuTTY for the ability to import/export the registry for backups and so I can use MTPuTTY. I only have 80 servers in PuTTY now but I used to have more and I've got about a dozen at least that I don't bother to SSH into and use the console for everything, but if I added those to PuTTY then my list would only get bigger and moving it to other PCs would be a pain.

-KuJoe

1 hour ago, KuJoe said:

I use PuTTY for the ability to import/export the registry for backups and so I can use MTPuTTY. I only have 80 servers in PuTTY now but I used to have more and I've got about a dozen at least that I don't bother to SSH into and use the console for everything, but if I added those to PuTTY then my list would only get bigger and moving it to other PCs would be a pain.

I agree, very nice for generic things that you do over and over again. The number of servers/PC you deal with is the only thing that cripple it. Dealing with couple thousands of computers i have exceptions everywhere so i had to let it go a long time ago and rely on coding my own application that create specific batch or exe on demand to deal with all exceptions without having to lift a finger. But for 99% of the people they rarely deal with more than couple dozen of servers so putty is perfect and so much time saving