Will 4th Gen CPU work in 6th gen boards

I just purchased a TON of Amazon Liquidation Z270 motherboards... Problem is.. I don't have any CPU's that'll work in them..

I don't want to purchase a newer CPU, just to test boards i'm going to be listing on Ebay, however I would like to test them to make sure they work.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3222490/gen-motherboard-wil-work-gen-cpu-intel-pentuim-g4500.html

I have an LGA 1150 Celeron G34xx (cant remember exactly)

I found a forum that says it'll work in the LGA 1151 boards.

Can ANYONE VERIFY this??

Thanks

James

You can't properly test a board with a properly supported CPU.

BIOS microcode hacking, pinout hacking aside you don't have a reliable option without a newer CPU.

You can always buy the CPU on eBay and sell it again after you finished testing all the boards though.

No signature found

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

No LGA 1150 CPU will work in an LGA 1151 socket.

Have you tried this, or are you basing this off the different Chipsets and Pins?  Or what are you basing it off?  
I have my doubts that it'll work, however I can see how it COULD possibly function.

1 minute ago, JamesTheGreat said:

Have you tried this, or are you basing this off the different Chipsets and Pins?  Or what are you basing it off?  
I have my doubts that it'll work, however I can see how it COULD possibly function.

Pins, BIOS support, and chipsets.

LGA 1151 has one more pin than 1150, that alone will stop the CPU from going into the socket or even functioning at all.

BIOS support is not present on LGA 1151 boards for any CPU that isn't 6th, 7th, or 8th gen.

Chipset support is also not present.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, JamesTheGreat said:

lmao it wont work

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

Just now, RobbinM said:

You can't properly test a board with a properly supported CPU.

BIOS microcode hacking, pinout hacking aside you don't have a reliable option without a newer CPU.

You can always buy the CPU on eBay and sell it again after you finished testing all the boards though.

All i'm looking to check for is POST.  Anything after that, I'm not worried about... I have the Gen 4 CPU's just sitting around.  I'm not looking to change the BIOS / Hack it or mod the board in anyway..

And Yeah, I will probably go the ebay route, but would like to know 100% if it'll work or not with what I already have..

Pinout's themselves are not a good way to determine if something will work or not.  A LOT of the "pins" on the CPU are power and ground, so even if 1 or a few aren't touching, it'll still function.  I've seen this with a board missing the fingers in the socket before.

Also Linus had a video where they put a BGA998 (i think) Laptop chip into a desktop socket.. That was the same architecture, but different pins by quite a bit, and still worked fine.  

You try it, board won't POST. Who's at fault? The board or the Jerry-rig CPU? You will never know when you don't have the right CPU.

No signature found

Just now, RobbinM said:

You try it, board won't POST. Who's at fault? The board or the Jerry-rig CPU? You will never know when you don't have the right CPU.

Well that's exactly what I'm trying to find out.  I'd like to know If anyone has tried it to know for sure if it works or not...  

And the more I think about it, I have almost 100 motherboards that are Gen6/7 showing up in about 2weeks.  I'll probably just take and try one anyway, because if I end up letting the smoke out, then I'll know for sure.  However, after looking at a pinout diagram for both, I really doubt the smoke will come out.  

I also have a few X99 motherboads in the mix, but I'm not buying even an ebay CPU for testing those... TOO EXPENSIVE FOR ME!!! lol

It's more likely not to post due to the bios not supporting the CPU...

That's what I'm saying.

Even if you end up with 50 motherboards POSTing, you still don't know what's up with the other 50. CPU support missing, or broken board?

No signature found

Nope. You're right.  I didn't think about that unitl my last post.  I've became so used to newer hardware just working together, I've forgotten about updating the bios for CPU support and such.

That makes sense..  I guess I'm going to start looking up the specs on these boards and see what the most commonly supported CHEAP CPU fits them.

Thank,

James

4 minutes ago, JamesTheGreat said:

That makes sense..  I guess I'm going to start looking up the specs on these boards and see what the most commonly supported CHEAP CPU fits them.

A Celeron G3900 can be bought on eBay right now for $40 shipped. If you've got a ton of Z270 boards, surely the profits will more than offset the $15 it'll cost you to "rent" the CPU before reselling it after your testing is done.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.