New HP laptop wont install Linux.

Go to solution Solved by RobbinM,

Please try disabling legacy mode

So I bought a new HP Envy x360 with a ryzen 5 cpu in it. 

I’m trying to dual boot windows and Ubuntu; but as soon as I boot the usb and select install or try it just black screens. 

Enabled legacy mode I BIOS

disabled secure boot in BIOS 

Did you use etcher.io to create the USB?  You generally don't want legacy mode either...

1 minute ago, jpenguin said:

Did you use etcher.io to create the USB?  You generally don't want legacy mode either...

I did. 

And alright. 

I had a suspicion that the install usb got borked, but I’ve never had any issues with it. 

1 minute ago, xephraan93 said:

I did. 

And alright. 

I had a suspicion that the install usb got borked, but I’ve never had any issues with it. 

I don't know then, it sounds like it should work/.  Does it just boot from the HDD?  Does it say "invalid boot medium"?  If you cant get it,  can you try Fedora?

2 minutes ago, jpenguin said:

I don't know then, it sounds like it should work/.  Does it just boot from the HDD?  Does it say "invalid boot medium"?  If you cant get it,  can you try Fedora?

Windows boots just fine. 

I just can’t even get into the installer or “live cd” preview. As soon as I select one it just poops the bed. 

I’m open to fedora. 

If that is Ubuntu 18.04, try Ubuntu 18.10

If still nothing happens, try Manjaro Linux, because what it seems to me is a driver issue and those two distros are the most updated I can think of

3 hours ago, Lukyp said:

If that is Ubuntu 18.04, try Ubuntu 18.10

If still nothing happens, try Manjaro Linux, because what it seems to me is a driver issue and those two distros are the most updated I can think of

You're kidding right?  Ubuntu is an updated distro; certainly not the newest though.  SolydXK, Fedora, Aptsid...  Even MX, Tanglu, SUSE & Frugalware are pretty updated

Manjaro installer has an option to use proprietary drivers over free ones and as a result tends to work on hardware that have issues with other distros. Try Manjaro and if it starts then you know it's probably a driver issue and not a hardware/bios issue.

5 hours ago, jpenguin said:

You're kidding right?  Ubuntu is an updated distro; certainly not the newest though.  SolydXK, Fedora, Aptsid...  Even MX, Tanglu, SUSE & Frugalware are pretty updated

No, they have a feature freeze which includes the kernel version and then drivers, including driver bugs as well, should I remember how Linux handles newer PCs?  it's updated only if you have an old one