Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New iPads not any better?

Tazz 316

I have a older ipad air 2 and bought a new ipad pro the ones that just came out. I was not blown away with any faster apps load times etc. The biggest thing i noticed was the screen is slightly bigger and the speakers are a ton better since they are on both sides but other than that i'm not happy with my purchase.

To me i paid over $1,000 for better speakers. How do people justify buying the pro models when the less costly ones is almost just as good?

Because they are a lot more powerful and in the case of the 12.9", much bigger. Not everyone needs the power -- and those who don't shouldn't be wasting their money on an iPad Pro when the non-pro is just as good and substantially cheaper -- especially now that the standard iPad also supports the Pencil.

TL;DR People justify it by making an informed decision rather than just buying the most expensive thing they can find. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, 79wjd said:

TL;DR People justify it by making an informed decision rather than just buying the most expensive thing they can find. 

Unless they just wait outside the store like one of those 'Hypebeasts' (the idiots with too much money that wait outside a Supreme store and buy a glorified brick for £200) and just buy it because "it's the latest thing", which seems to be prevalent with a lot of electronics fans nowadays (not just Apple!).

6 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

Because they are a lot more powerful and in the case of the 12.9", much bigger. Not everyone needs the power -- and those who don't shouldn't be wasting their money on an iPad Pro when the non-pro is just as good and substantially cheaper -- especially now that the standard iPad also supports the Pencil.

What can one do with the extra power that can not be done on the non-pro? Maybe that is my issues all i do  is surf the web watch youtube on mine, i never did find them as easy to do something like edit a 4k video build a website etc.

5 minutes ago, Tazz 316 said:

I have a older ipad air 2 and bought a new ipad pro the ones that just came out. I was not blown away with any faster apps load times etc. The biggest thing i noticed was the screen is slightly bigger and the speakers are a ton better since they are on both sides but other than that i'm not happy with my purchase.

I have an iPad Air 2 and an iPad Pro 10.5. The Pro feels much faster (faster App load times), has more RAM, more CPU/GPU power (demonstrated in games), has better speakers, a higher refresh rate screen (120Hz > 60Hz), a bigger battery, etc.

8 minutes ago, Tazz 316 said:

To me i paid over $1,000 for better speakers. How do people justify buying the pro models when the less costly ones is almost just as good?

They're not almost just as good. The Pro model is better in every category compared to the older Air 2 (as I mentioned above). And if you bought an Apple product, you should expect to pay a premium for it :P

Just now, Tazz 316 said:

What can one do with the extra power that can not be done on the non-pro?

Fortnite barely runs on my iPad Air 2 while it runs really smooth on my iPad Pro 10.5. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

1 minute ago, Tazz 316 said:

What can one do with the extra power that can not be done on the non-pro? Maybe that is my issues all i do  is surf the web watch youtube on mine, i never did find them as easy to do something like edit a 4k video build a website etc.

You purchased a pro device, so the device is aimed at people that do stuff like that (maybe not 4k video editing and building a website, but more like low level audio/video production, drawing, etc). If you don't need the features such as a better processor and 120HZ screen then the iPad Pro isn't for you.

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

2 minutes ago, Tazz 316 said:

There are a lot of benefits, some of which were mentioned above, but just because YOU don't do those things, doesn't mean others don't. 

Based on your description of what you do -- e.g. browse the web, you should have gotten the non pro. Hell, upgrading from your Air 2 doesn't even make sense for that matter given that web browsing is a trivial task that pretty much any tablet/smartphone from the past half-decade can handle without issue.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

9 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

web browsing is a trivial task that pretty much any tablet/smartphone from the past half-decade can handle without issue.

Nope actually. My iPad Air 2 with Google Chrome starts lagging and slowing down sometimes if I have two or three tabs opened up with a ton of ads lol. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

13 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

Nope actually. My iPad Air 2 with Google Chrome starts lagging and slowing down sometimes if I have two or three tabs opened up with a ton of ads lol. 

I don't play games on it, i have a PC for that. :) 

The pro is nice but extra $$$ for what i do not use. BTW i would like to try the pen but will non-apple pens work on the newer iPad pros? If so any suggestions. I assume the non apple ones can't be charged on top  of the pro.

With the newer models dating back to the air 2, you probably won't notice too much of a jump in performance. Unless you do taxing work, like video editing, that is. I have an iPad 2 though, and I personally think I'm way overdue for an upgrade. So I'll definitely notice the difference there. I can hardly web browse on it :(.

4 minutes ago, Tazz 316 said:

I don't play games on it, i have a PC for that. :) 

That's not the primary use of my iPad either, but I still occasionally game on it.

4 minutes ago, Tazz 316 said:

The pro is nice but extra $$$ for what i do not use.

I don't understand your point.

3 minutes ago, hiitswilliam said:

With the newer models dating back to the air 2, you probably won't notice too much of a jump in performance. Unless you do taxing work, like video editing, that is.

Gaming? Even web browsing is faster on my Pro 10.5 than my Air 2.

Isn't it your problem then? You buy a product where YOU are not the target.

It's like my Grandma buys a ferrari to get fresh bread every saturday.

If the Pro doesn't provide anything for you over the regular one, then it's your own fault for buying it :/

To me, there were enough things on the 10.5" one when i got it. It was expensive yea, but overall it was worth for me, since i will use it for many years.

If anything: The size can sometimes be unlimited value, if you do any kind of work on it.

And with 120 Hz refresh rate, this will feel more smooth than ANYTHING with 60 Hz ever will ^^

I'm not saying it's worth. The Pro-prices are fucking Sick. On the 2018 Pro even more. Consider waiting for deals, or second hand etc.

But usually, the people, who really can utalize the "pro", know how they can.