Is a $250 "3080" even possible?

Fasauceome

Another day, another video covering the "leaks" from AMD hardware in my feed. I hadn't considered this before, but the prices are so sketch they don't even seem realistic, and neither does the power consumption. 150 watts for performance at the 1080 ti mark? $250 for 8GB of GDDR6 and a GPU that can handle that gaming performance? I feel like AMD would have to be burning money for this to be possible. I could be wrong, so if I am, what would have to be true for these leaked prices to be accurate?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, OnyxArmos said:

I'll always stick with Nvidia, no matter what AMD comes out with

Well that's a rather stubborn approach. Personally I'd rather have whatever gives the best value, no point in sticking up for a soulless company.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Maybe they are breaking even do try to take over the market? If prices are accurate than it seems like a desperate move, but a good one at that. 

I can assure you, that even you have noticed the increasing amount of AMD builds and people suggesting AMD over Intel almost every time now. 

Just now, DVA said:

Maybe they are breaking even do try to take over the market? If prices are accurate than it seems like a desperate move, but a good one at that. 

I can assure you, that even you have noticed the increasing amount of AMD builds and people suggesting AMD over Intel almost every time now. 

Every time profit margins of tech hardware are mentioned, it's always noted how slim they are. This isn't breaking even, this is definitely losing money. GDDR6 is the most expensive vram aside from HBM, so I really don't see AMD pulling this price point off.

Primary PC:

I have difficulty believing it but it would be AMD that does it if anyone makes a gpu that is capable of that and costs that little in the next year or two.

my opinion is worthless but i'm going to give it anyway because this is the internet

Just now, OnyxArmos said:

Nvidia graphics cards look sexy af tho bro

I love the Vega Frontier edition cooler style, but performance wise, blowers are bad compared to more fans, and when it comes to looks, AIBs use the same shrouds, so your average strix 1080 will look the same as your average strix Vega 64

Primary PC:

Just now, OnyxArmos said:

Nvidia graphics cards look sexy af tho bro

Vega reference cards are an attractive look, albeit not insane performance or value.

my opinion is worthless but i'm going to give it anyway because this is the internet

2 minutes ago, Azerafel said:

I have difficulty believing it but it would be AMD that does it if anyone makes a gpu that is capable of that and costs that little in the next year or two.

Keyword being "if"

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Every time profit margins of tech hardware are mentioned, it's always noted how slim they are. This isn't breaking even, this is definitely losing money. GDDR6 is the most expensive vram aside from HBM, so I really don't see AMD pulling this price point off.

Sometimes you gotta lose money to make money. Take the initial loss and then rake in the profit when you control most of the market. It wouldn't be as big as Nvidia, but I'm sure it'll make AMD happy enough to say they even control it. 

l-21806-you-are-fake-news.jpg

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, DVA said:

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

My 2 cents:

They made a ton of money off Mining boom, which gave them expendable income for the first time in a long time.  The scare NVIDIA is having with stocks plummeting (not really a scare but it is if they took out a bunch of loans over the last 2 years).  If these prices are real, its in order to have Market Share.

My company did the same thing about 3 years ago.  We dropped our pricing on Titanium to the point where we were sometimes strapping hundred dollar bills on shipments in the customers favor.  We now are back into healthy margins and we have 30% more market share.  Long term.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

1 minute ago, DVA said:

Sometimes you gotta lose money to make money. Take the initial loss and then rake in the profit when you control most of the market. It wouldn't be as big as Nvidia, but I'm sure it'll make AMD happy enough to say they even control it. 

I mean RTX was a pretty big flop, so maybe AMD is taking the opportunity

Just now, fasauceome said:

I love the Vega Frontier edition cooler style, but performance wise, blowers are bad compared to more fans, and when it comes to looks, AIBs use the same shrouds, so your average strix 1080 will look the same as your average strix Vega 64

Facts. Can also confirm the Vega FE blower cooler is damn sexy and performs quite well *if* you don't mind ramping the fans up and having it be pretty darn noisy (I assume not a problem if you're a pro and you just up the fan speeds and leave it overnight to render, but my PC is in my room). I stuck a Heatkiller IV on mine tho, equally sexy and once I get my loop done it should run much cooler and quieter. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, Tristerin said:

My 2 cents:

They made a ton of money off Mining boom, which gave them expendable income for the first time in a long time.  The scare NVIDIA is having with stocks plummeting (not really a scare but it is if they took out a bunch of loans over the last 2 years).  If these prices are real, its in order to have Market Share.

My company did the same thing about 3 years ago.  We dropped our pricing on Titanium to the point where we were sometimes strapping hundred dollar bills on shipments in the customers favor.  We now are back into healthy margins and we have 30% more market share.  Long term.

Exactly what I was saying, if you have a larger portion of the market in the long-run than the short-term loss is totally worth it. Most companies, if not all, lose money before they really start to make larger profits. You also build loyal customers and get free advertising via word of mouth, which is the most effective out of all forms of advertising. 

8 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Another day, another video covering the "leaks" from AMD hardware in my feed. I hadn't considered this before, but the prices are so sketch they don't even seem realistic, and neither does the power consumption. 150 watts for performance at the 1080 ti mark? $250 for 8GB of GDDR6 and a GPU that can handle that gaming performance? I feel like AMD would have to be burning money for this to be possible. I could be wrong, so if I am, what would have to be true for these leaked prices to be accurate?

Where are you getting 1080 Ti from? The "leaks" I've seen on the RX 3080 peg it in the GTX 1080/2070 range. The TDP does seem a bit optimistic given the Vega 64 requirement for 260W, but Navi is a whole new die, and AMD may have solved a lot of its power draw woes with it.

The GDDR6 does seem unrealistic. I wonder if we're going to get a cut-down 4GB version, or an 8GB GDDR5/5X version at the lower price point, with the 8GB GDDR6 version being upclocked and priced significantly higher to compensate.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Just now, aisle9 said:

Where are you getting 1080 Ti from? The "leaks" I've seen on the RX 3080 peg it in the GTX 1080/2070 range. The TDP does seem a bit optimistic given the Vega 64 requirement for 260W, but Navi is a whole new die, and AMD may have solved a lot of its power draw woes with it.

I just saw a vid that claims "Vega 64 + 15%" which is what really made me scoff at the price tag and power draw.

Primary PC:

6 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Keyword being "if"

Yeah.

The other thing to keep in mind is a lot of startups try to take over the market by losing money but grabbing lots of market "space" if you will with the idea that they'll make money later. Amazon is a good example, they only started making money in the past year or two iirc.

Dunno, these navi "leaks" seem too good to be true but /shrug

3 minutes ago, Azerafel said:

Vega reference cards are an attractive look, albeit not insane performance or value.

In games, sure, only about equal with a 1080. In render applications it's a beast, especially in blender cycles, it'll beat a 1080 Ti by 20% or so. I picked up my Vega FE used for $405, so not a bad deal overall, and new Vega 64s are going for $400 and perform the same (just lose the option of signed drivers and 8GB of HBM2). 

2 minutes ago, OnyxArmos said:

image.png.5d6905be0d5894472e6290dadd0f941d.png ... ? This ? 

Sorry bro but nah

Looks much better in person, though as per usual it's subjective. I personally love the minimalist styling and nice brushed aluminum finish (is actual aluminum too). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

I just saw a vid that claims "Vega 64 + 15%" which is what really made me scoff at the price tag and power draw.

There are sources I trust, and sources I don't. Any source that makes a claim like that well ahead of the product even being announced is one I don't trust.

That's really what it comes down to. We're getting preliminary leak figures, and those have been horribly inaccurate in the past. I hope AMD pulls it off, because I just bought a 4K Freesync monitor and I'd love to use it to its full potential, but I choose to remain skeptical until we see a few trustworthy YouTubers (looking at you, Tech YES City and Hardware Unboxed) do some testing of off-the-shelf retail samples.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Historical trends would point out that there is no time in history that a GPU in the midrange category managed to catch up to the top-end of the previous generation in one go. While I'm not ruling out the possibility that it could happen, I'm not holding my breath that it will.

EDIT: Well, I take the "no time" part back, since the GeForce4 Ti 4200 did match the GeForce3 500. But no time sense as far as I can tell.

10 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

The problem I see with this approach is people will be expecting it from then on. If AMD can't bring amaze-balls performance for cheap again, they'll lose whatever confidence the customer had in them overnight. Besides that, loss leaders need something else to bolster sales and recoup the lost revenue. AMD has almost nothing else on the consumer end they could charge, directly or indirectly, to make up for the loss in revenue.

Short answer: Why not.

A little less short: As a consumer you shouldn't be hoping for higher prices on future products. That's plain retarded. Hell, if they offered a 3080 for three fiddy I'd take it without complaining.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

The only way I could imagine AMD getting prices that low would be incredible yields on their GPU dies.  And I am assuming their chiplet design would help with that, but who knows how much.  

Also, I can understand trying to gain market share, but when you're talking about consumer GPUs you're usually not expecting folks to be frequent purchasers.  By that I mean a customer will buy one and then not buy another for a few or five years.  If AMD is trying to change that behavior with lower prices then it might work out, but probably not in the way a company that sells materials/consumables would see.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

possible, but not likely

it just doesn't make any sense, AMD wants to compete with nvidia, not to give away money for no reason. They don't have to lower the price at all

5 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

Short answer: Why not.

A little less short: As a consumer you shouldn't be hoping for higher prices on future products. That's plain retarded. Hell, if they offered a 3080 for three fiddy I'd take it without complaining.

not a matter of hoping for higher or lower prices (I think we all would love to see these leaks turn out to be true), it's more a matter of whether this is even possible for AMD.

26 minutes ago, OnyxArmos said:

I'll always stick with Nvidia, no matter what AMD comes out with

This guy is also a reason why AMD might price so aggressively.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case