G-Sync on highish end graphics card?

The_SpoonRack

Hey guys,

Ok so I'm 15 so money is a bit tight with my 2 part time jobs, I'm getting a RTX 2080 for Christmas and some money I guess. My problem starts when I don't know what monitor to get as of now I'm on a peasants 1080p 60hz TN panel. In Australia (where I live) its about $900 AUD (650 USD) for a 1440p 144hz ips 4ms display which is the ASUS XB271HU, however; for 600 AUD (430 USD) I can get basically the same monitor with wider bezels and NO G-Sync.

I have been looking to upgrade my PSU for overclocking with my graphics card because as of now I only have a 700 watt for my i7-8600 and 32 GB ram at 3200MHZ

Basically wondering if the G-Sync is worth 300 AUD more on a 'highish' gaming rig

Worth is subjective. Depends if you find it worth it or not.
Personally, with a build like that, I'd pay it. If you want to save some money, go with the cheaper monitor.

You don't need to upgrade your PSU.

Welcome to the forum.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Do you notice tearing and stuttering on your current monitor? Do you notice ghosting and bleed? If you don't notice these smaller details, than I don't think it's worth dropping the extra coin on it. G-Sync is great because it eliminates most any problems you'll have due to syncing with your GPU for seamless gameplay, but its premium price at your price point doesn't seem worth it to me tbh. 

I live in the US so prices are cheaper, but I bought a 2560x1440 27" 144Hz/1ms G-Sync VA panel for $350...

It's clear you're going to pay a lot in G-Sync tax. And you'll be stuck with one vendor as well. I wouldn't recommend it, especially if you have to pay THAT MUCH.

700W is more than enough to overclock all of your components simultaneously to a crisp.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

2 hours ago, The_SpoonRack said:

Hey guys,

Ok so I'm 15 so money is a bit tight with my 2 part time jobs, I'm getting a RTX 2080 for Christmas and some money I guess. My problem starts when I don't know what monitor to get as of now I'm on a peasants 1080p 60hz TN panel. In Australia (where I live) its about $900 AUD (650 USD) for a 1440p 144hz ips 4ms display which is the ASUS XB271HU, however; for 600 AUD (430 USD) I can get basically the same monitor with wider bezels and NO G-Sync.

I have been looking to upgrade my PSU for overclocking with my graphics card because as of now I only have a 700 watt for my i7-8600 and 32 GB ram at 3200MHZ

Basically wondering if the G-Sync is worth 300 AUD more on a 'highish' gaming rig

-Acer XB271HU

-Asus PG279Q

Are two very good choices with a lot of recommendations, if you can afford a G-Sync monitor i would go for it because if you are purchasing a 2080 then you are not likely to be changing the GPU any time soon.

Rig: 5950X | ROG VIII Formula | 6900XT
Laptop: 5900HX | 6800M | 16GB