A similar start like Linus

Don Iron

So, let's start off very simple:

I work as a sound designer/ article writer/ audio engineer.

Since I need a certain kind of computer to fulfill my needs in terms of a nice workflow, I decided to jump into the magnificent world of computer building, and who else got me into it than good old LTT community.

But I didn't want just any kind of computer to start off. I wanted right away MY computer, the computer that reflected me and was both pleasing for me to look at as it was to boot.

So, after some researching, flea market spelunking and eBay scouring, I found actually quite close to where I live a massive salvation army depot that sold second hand items, or items that were refurbished to be returned to the general public.

And I found something that truly yelled "me". Here's a tease.

IMG_20181218_150138.thumb.jpg.961bef6b80ae5070166351fa6886950b.jpg

Still can't guess? Okay fine, here:

IMG_20181218_145700.thumb.jpg.02d21286d5edc7f97846bd5c3f5bf2bb.jpg

Yes you are seeing it right. The case was a good old Lanboy Original, which I found out basically after seeing Linus' video on his first build.

For a reasonable €90, what I got was 500gb storage,a Corsair 500W PSU, an AMD Xenon with a nice, big Noctua cooler,  a beefy GTX 460 and around 16gb of RAM.

End of build, see ya.

Hah you thought, no this was already a small problem. You see, the computer got power in terms of all fans spinning, lights showing and the HDD going clickity clack and then spinning on.

But, no image whatsoever from the DVi.

So of course since the motherboard was an AM3 Gigabyte motherboard, I thought: "Why not make this a Ryzen build?"

Okay so I am definitely not much of a computer building whiz. If anything, most of my decisions in terms of my build goes according a simple few criteria:

- My build should be able to manage on long-term sound design programs

- A few games on high resolution at best is preferable

- Fairly quirky form factor to be kept original, no tampering of what is inside. No matter how long it took to cable manage (which was impossible to be honest)

So, I began checking around what could possibly work fine with this build. Should I go m-ATX or ATX? Should I RGB it or no? Should I switch the PSU just in case? Ryzen 3, 5 or 7?

Many questions, but one simple factor:

budget.

Yes I know I know, "cheap wont ever buy quality" and all that and that is true.

But I had to start off somewhere and allow myself upgradeability. Which this actually did.

Let's show some internals:

IMG_20181218_151401.thumb.jpg.7bcb1201dea2e12b6542e433226f8aea.jpg

So as you can see, a tight package. Don't mind the cables, I will find a way to make it all as clean as possible when I got time.

The list goes as follows, with the form of component, name and the price I paid for it all:

Case (as with the purchase price)                   €90

Motherboard         Asus ROG STRIX B350-F    €79

Power Supply        Corsair CS550M                ~€95

CPU                        AMD Ryzen 3 2200G           €110

RAM                       HyperX Fury 8gb                  €70

GPU                       Radeon R9 280                    €70

SSD                        Samsung EVO 240gb          €67

HDD                       WD Blue 2tb                         €64

TOTAL  €645

Excluding fans since those are such a small factor in the pricing, some items are more or less an idea of what the RRP is.

So, how does it run? Well thermals on idle according to CAM show that the idle temps are at around 30-40 celsius for the CPU and the GPU sticks at about 30-35 celsius, fairly decent. The RAM load seems to idle at 59% with minimal load.

Now as for gaming, well it runs Fallout 4 at High settings with constant 60fps, with a few drops during firefights but no less than 55fps.

During gaming the thermals jump up to around 50-55 on both the GPU and CPU, sticking nicely in them thanks to the small fans keeping the air flow constant, and the AMD stock fan is just a godsend. It really keeps the circulation in the case going and the air behind feels just nice at body temps.

But how about sound design programs? Well using Mixbus v4 mainly, it all runs decent of course. Not much of a workload, thermals stick at the 40 celsius region and the interfaces are extremely smooth. That might also be since most of my audio programs including plug-ins are in my SSD.

And as a small addition, you might have noticed small stripes of black in the case's bottom.

Well those are bitum damping mats cut in small nifty pieces, keeping the case's ambient sound at a very nice, soothing 12db constantly, which basically is the sound of a windless summery day basically. So using the mic during recordings is un-hindered.

Now this all sounds good, but I am not saying no to an upgrade path.

Next up is more RAM until I get either 22 or 24gb of RAM installed, then it is from Ryzen 3 to Ryzen 5, since 7 is not yet what I need. And of course who could forget the GPU, that'll be shifted to either a 1060Ti or a 1070, it is all about how much space I can have since as I said, this is a sleeper that won't have mods done to it except for a possible cathode lamp inside to amp up the retroness.

Okay I might maybe spray paint that ugly neon green frontal fan case black.

So there you go, that was an introduction to Luq and to what the future holds for this small binary road warrior.

That's quite a decent job for a first build.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 minute ago, Jurrunio said:

That's quite a decent job for a first build.

I got a knack on fiddling with small components due to fixing some mixers and such so I guess it ported over haha

Welcome to a wonderous world - you will be hooked. :)

MB: Z390 Aorus Master | CPU: Intel Core i9 9900KS | CPU-Cooler: Corsair Hydro H150i PRO RGB Push/Pull | Mem: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB 3200MHz 14-14-14-34 | GFX: Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti OC 11GB | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | SSD: Corsair Force MP600 2TB NVMe | Sound Card: Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Case: FD Define R6 TG | OS: Win 10 Pro | Peripherals: Asus ROG Swift PG279Q | Dell U2719D | Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Glorious Extended Mouse Pad | Kingston HyperX Cloud Alpha | ModMic Wireless | DXRacer Drifting

31 minutes ago, Don Iron said:

Forgot to add, this is my first ever build too.

Congrats! I never tinkered much with my first build, although sometimes I wish I had.

Hunting for parts is always fun to me, I'll go on Craigslist and Ebay just to see what there is, even if I can't afford PC parts at the moment.

AMD's stock cooler is amazing, I love mine.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

8 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Congrats! I never tinkered much with my first build, although sometimes I wish I had.

Hunting for parts is always fun to me, I'll go on Craigslist and Ebay just to see what there is, even if I can't afford PC parts at the moment.

AMD's stock cooler is amazing, I love mine.

A small thing with the motherboard though is that it didn't include "extra" peripherals, aka a backplate and a socket holder so now it sort of hinges on a system of zip locks haha.

But hey, backplate got ordered for the AM4 and if anything I am thinking of upgrading the cooler to a similar style Noctua at some point to keep the form factor minimal, retro and angular

10 minutes ago, Beeta said:

Welcome to a wonderous world - you will be hooked. :)

Thanks! It is fun!

1 minute ago, Don Iron said:

A small thing with the motherboard though is that it didn't include "extra" peripherals, aka a backplate and a socket holder so now it sort of hinges on a system of zip locks haha.

But hey, backplate got ordered for the AM4 and if anything I am thinking of upgrading the cooler to a similar style Noctua at some point to keep the form factor minimal, retro and angular

That would be sick.

Sleeper builds are always really fun, it's still on my bucket list of things to build.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

53 minutes ago, Don Iron said:

an AMD Xenon

What this?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

9 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

What this?

it was the previous gen chipset by AMD. To be honest I think that might have been the problem when I got the case, it had a small indentation in it

Now I have been thinking:

Of course to fully realise this into an amazing PC that allows me to do great mixes and prep it up to become a powerhouse of a sound designing PC, I need to come up with the end goal.

So here is the plan I devised:

MID TIER UPGRADE PATH

AMD Ryzen 5, since the cores it gives will for now suffice.

GTX 1070 4gb to allow more visuals in terms of plugins

24gb RAM to also allow many background programmes for the beginning.

Firewire PCIe card to connect a mixer into it that allows DAW control

BUDGET AIM: adding around €500-€600 to the current base budget

HIGH TIER UPGRADE PATH

CPU to an AMD Threadripper (duh)

Motherboard for it

CPU cooler, preferably Noctua

Memory to M.2, aiming to that sweet on-board terabyte(s) level 

PSU to be fully modular allowing extra connections just in case of possible quality of life upgrades

GPU to jump up and possibly even enter the RTX world, depending of what would feel great. Preferably an 8gb GPU

BUDGET AIM: around €1500-€2000

Problem being of course the money since well, ain't got a job that can dish out decent moolah yet but hey will see, if anything knowing what I should aim for will allow me to do preparations to that.

And as a preventative: I don't want to just save up and buy the top end right away since I want first to do my research on everything related. The mid tier already has had it's research done so it is waiting to happen, but I have yet to read fully on what threadripper can hold but I have found out a few builds that audio engineers use with threadripper in it so I will contact them in terms of that to find out the pros and cons.

if you are into sound etc, maybe you can think also about a pcie sound card and some accessories to support your work?

i7-8086K, Strix Z370E-Gaming, G.Skill Trident 32gb 3000MHZ CL 14, Strix 1080 Ti OC, Corsair HX1000i, Obsidian 1000D, Corsair Hydro X custom loop, 13x Corsair LL120, Corsair Lighting Node Pro, 2x SSD Adata SU800 3DNand - 1tb and 128gb, 1Tb WD Blue, Cable Mod Full Cable Kit, Monitor Asus XG27VQ 144Mhz Curved

33 minutes ago, Enochian said:

if you are into sound etc, maybe you can think also about a pcie sound card and some accessories to support your work?

Thing is, sound cards themselves are simply just extensions to headphone outputs and what I need is a computer that:

- Allows me to connect a mixer or audio interface with a constant speed

- Lets me run long sessions in terms of audio production

- Has reliable memory integration

- Won't degrade program wise

Sound cards themselves are basically useless in that term, but a firewire card would be perfect so I could connect to a mixer controller. Maybe even a USB extension card might be a good add to it, but otherwise sound cards themselves are specific to headphones and USB interfaces already have headphone amps in them giving great sound quality.

I had in mind something more like this (asus strix raid pro) -  to add to your build . Depends if you are happy enough with the sound cards included in headphones. 
image.png.cde913c2eee4ca4fb69780cb28a189df.png

i7-8086K, Strix Z370E-Gaming, G.Skill Trident 32gb 3000MHZ CL 14, Strix 1080 Ti OC, Corsair HX1000i, Obsidian 1000D, Corsair Hydro X custom loop, 13x Corsair LL120, Corsair Lighting Node Pro, 2x SSD Adata SU800 3DNand - 1tb and 128gb, 1Tb WD Blue, Cable Mod Full Cable Kit, Monitor Asus XG27VQ 144Mhz Curved