Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Cities: Skylines help - with city

PublicStaticVoidMain

This is my first time playing this game, please be nice. I have massive traffic issues, as you can see by the heat map. All the traffic gets congested on the off ramp from the highway, to make matters even worse 90% of the city is comprised of 2 lane roads. Is there any decent way to recover from this? The congestion is so bad my coal power plants on an island across the river are not receiving the fuel they require quick enough. A large portion of the traffic appears to be industry related, all trying to deliver things to the top half of the city, that's where all the industrial buildings are located. Honestly I didn't take this game seriously at all when I first installed it, which resulted in this mess. Now I actually want to play it properly; some tips for the game would be appreciated, just some basics to keep in mind next time I'm building a city. 

20181218035848_1.jpg

7 minutes ago, ScootsMcgoots said:

This is my first time playing this game, please be nice. I have massive traffic issues, as you can see by the heat map. All the traffic gets congested on the off ramp from the highway, to make matters even worse 90% of the city is comprised of 2 lane roads. Is there any decent way to recover from this? The congestion is so bad my coal power plants on an island across the river are not receiving the fuel they require quick enough. A large portion of the traffic appears to be industry related, all trying to deliver things to the top half of the city, that's where all the industrial buildings are located. Honestly I didn't take this game seriously at all when I first installed it, which resulted in this mess. Now I actually want to play it properly; some tips for the game would be appreciated, just some basics to keep in mind next time I'm building a city. 

20181218035848_1.jpg

I would hate to live in your City and have traffic every day all the time xD

GL :) 

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

the "recovery option" to this is generally just attempting to have more "entry points" for traffc, and hoping your braindead citizens will take those routes.

Generally speaking, you want multiple entry points. As an example take the city I live in. We have a north entrance, a second north entrance, south entrance, west entrance, east entrance and one center entrance which is the majour connection of all main highways. Imagine a guy living on the other end of the city and has no option but exit from a single highway exit. Gonna really suck for him. Just try to get a few more highway off ramps scattered around the city.

EDIT: And what I like to do is, have the off ramp connected to a 6 lane road that splits into 4 lane or 2 lane depending on the area.

The traffic AI in cities skylines is really kinda dumb, build more access points to your city, so that  the vehicles have some options to choose from.

And fixing traffic problems is like 90% of the game. Have fun ^^

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

i'm more of a simcity guy but i'm guessing normal sense would do here....  coughs … in Simcity i try to have atleast 3 different ways to get from one location to the other of wich atleast one is dedicated if you have the options...

21 minutes ago, myselfolli said:

The traffic AI in cities skylines is really kinda dumb, build more access points to your city, so that  the vehicles have some options to choose from.

And fixing traffic problems is like 90% of the game. Have fun ^^

Yea, the pathfinding of the ai cars seems pretty shitty; I saw a delivery truck take the longest possible path to its destination instead of taking a left right after it exited the offramp.

another option for you might be to increase the length of the road where all the digestion is atm, and with increasing the length i mean no junctions with other roads…. i count five different roadjunctions if i see this correct in that area... that should be different.... either consider some kind of highway around your city and in a cross in your city or be creatvie in another way ;) 

edit: 
This is it btw … i can't help myself any longer.. I have played simcity for the last 5 years .. i need a change a scenery and then tackle the 16 city challenge in SC 2013… thnx bro 

Desktop Screenshot 2018.12.18 - 12.57.22.71.png

3 hours ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

another option for you might be to increase the length of the road where all the digestion is atm, and with increasing the length i mean no junctions with other roads…. i count five different roadjunctions if i see this correct in that area... that should be different.... either consider some kind of highway around your city and in a cross in your city or be creatvie in another way ;) 

edit: 
This is it btw … i can't help myself any longer.. I have played simcity for the last 5 years .. i need a change a scenery and then tackle the 16 city challenge in SC 2013… thnx bro 

Desktop Screenshot 2018.12.18 - 12.57.22.71.png

So this taken to the extreme would be

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

10 minutes ago, myselfolli said:

So this taken to the extreme would be

LOL :D  I kinda love the idea … its a no show... as a serious city builder i don't even have time to spend on such ideocracy ^^ but .. i would want too… 

I'm trying here to go with the flow.... Maybe i'll change to 6way lane roads later on but for now is the plan to destroy only the one moving outwards and replace it with either a 4 lane piece or a 6 lane piece... Since i noticed my farming community i decided that they deserve a spot ! So this inner circle will be something of a boundary city community type with a knack for farming products .. if that even holds up in Cities… first time playing .. yay ;) 

Desktop Screenshot 2018.12.18 - 15.18.06.91.png

Effective traffic management in Cities Skylines requires a lot of micromanaging of roads to sort of force specific types of traffic to go where you want. Like for example, if you don't want commercial or industrial traffic to go through residential areas because that clogs up residential traffic, you have to create a district and enact a policy forbidding that traffic. Also I've noticed in this gameand in Sim City 4: intersections are the devil. Intersections will account for a majority of the reason why traffic is bad. Especially if you didn't find a way to manage it. But at least in Skylines you can set priority on which road gets to go through and which one has to yield.

Unfortunately like most other traffic AI, the one in Skylines doesn't account for actual travel time or traffic conditions (i.e., nobody has Google Maps or Waze). So whatever is the optimal path from their origin to their destination is always going to be their chosen route until they find something better.

7 hours ago, ScootsMcgoots said:

20181218035848_1.jpg

So just to tackle this example in particular of what needs to be fixed (I'm assuming north is at the top):

• The intersection east of the east-west interchange is a problem, especially if the north-south bound traffic has equal priority with east-west bound traffic
  • Most people who are coming from the east going west to this interchange will likely go to the other side using that intersection, which exacerbates traffic congestion.
  • I'm presuming the heavy east-bound traffic is because they want to get to the industrial area, but there's not a lot of easy and wide ways to get there. While the layout of the industrial area itself looks okay, the layout around doesn't appear to have many clean ways into the industrial area and/or has bottlenecks.

Also another thing I've noticed in the last city built, assuming right-hand drive, left turns are the devil. Just like in real life. Like in this case, a majority of that traffic is likely caused by people wanting to make a left at the earliest possible time (which happens to be the worst possible time)

I've just recently started playing Cities, and feel your pain. My traffic is somewhere between as it should for decent population to chokes at some points. I've fixed few chokes by moving industry (causes heavy traffic), improving public transport (reduces civilian traffic) and redesigning areas with generally heavy traffic. Mods and custom assets help. Like Traffic Manager: President edition which allows you to have roundabouts which do work.

So, since I can't tell what your zoning is from the pic, I'm gonna give few general advices.

1. Separate your industry from commercial and residental. Have own roads and entry points for industry. Like off-ramp from highway with roundabout at the end to filter traffic to different areas. If there's much traffit to some direction, make one-way path for that traffic to easy-up jams.
  2. Invest in public transport. Just adding bus lines will do wonders, but metro is even better.
  3. Remove road tolls from roads which are less used. Or turn them off to test if that moves flow of traffic.
  4. Upgrade roads with high usage to 6-lanes. Use highways to allow high traffic flow, and off ramps to filter it into city on multiple points. Like your main road in the middle of city could be raised highway with several off-ramps.
  5. Traffic Mananer. It does help. Also with disabling traffic lights, managing lanes etc.
  6. Watch some Lets Plays. I got ton of good tips on what and how to improve by checking some videos.

This is my current 1st proper city. Not perfect, by far. I've colored different main areas. Main road is mess, and main problem with it is that roundabout at bottom-mid, which is next on my list of things to fix. I added some assets from Workshop to give me options if I don't want to mess it myself.

cities.thumb.png.8ed28af8208a15979f91ecb571f62a45.png

E: Oh, and this game has hidden addictive. I was supposed to take that pic, but ended up cleaning few traffic jams, getting to 70k unlock and building airport.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv