Alfonso Ribeiro Sues Epic Games

4 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

According to the OP, he's in the process of filing the copyright.

But that ultimately doesn't matter. Copyright can apply retroactively, since ultimately it's about when you created the copyrightable piece, not when you filed for it.

Seems so convenient now doesn't it. The dollar signs were spinning his eyeballs around, like a spinning slot machine and a lawyer got his hands on a gold mine! I really do hope he wins the lawsuit and can get $100,000,000 out of it, unlikely but I do wish him the best. A washed up actor, Alfonso Ribeiro deserves that private island treatment.

I hope Will Smith and DJ Jazzy Jeff can get a few billions too, then Willy can donate his share to charity!

3 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Seems so convenient now doesn't it. The dollar signs were spinning his eyeballs around, like a spinning slot machine and a lawyer got his hands on a gold mine! I really do hope he wins the lawsuit and can get $100,000,000 out of it, unlikely but I do wish him the best. A washed up actor, Alfonso Ribeiro deserves that private island treatment.

He's not going to get $100,000,000 out of it. He might get a few million, if the Emote sales were high enough to justify a reasonable royalty percentage based on total emote sales.

And frankly, the emote only came out in this summer, so... when would have been a good time? Lawsuits take time to prepare and file, and if he doesn't play the game, he might not have even known it was a thing when the emote first came out.

3 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

I hope Will Smith and DJ Jazzy Jeff can get a few billions too, then Willy can donate his share to charity!

And why would they get any money?

I know a lot of you are trolling because you think it's just a cash grab - but frankly that doesn't matter. They stole his intellectual property without his permission, and are making money off of it. Whether you think a dance move can be copyrighted or not... It can. This is not "new".

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

9 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

The backpack kid is suing as well now ?

He's likely going to lose, however, since the first known instance of the "floss" dance actually dates back to 2012, in a high school "One Direction Lip Sync" music video featuring a bunch of teenagers.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Default dance is stolen from scrubs:

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

1 hour ago, Fez_Boy said:

Default dance is stolen from scrubs:

Not sure if you're serious, but yes. Having just compared the two side by side, yes, it does look like that dance was stolen too.

The question however, is, was this dance invented by the producers of scrubs (or Donald Faison)? There were reports going back to November saying that Faison accused them of "jacking" his dance, so that would lend credence to the idea that Faison created the dance himself.

This is little different from someone ripping off a song, or many other perfectly normal copyrightable things.

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

As he rightfully should. Epic should have received his consent ahead of time (and it would have been up to him as to whether he would ask for compensation in return). But because Epic didn't seek consent, he never had the opportunity to choose whether to allow the dance in the game (for free or otherwise)

I think you nailed it right there. It's unacceptable for a well established company like Epic Games with a successful product like Fortnite, to just not ask for consent. Fortnite is the biggest game in the world so they should, in theory, be able to get any trademarked gesture they want but they seem to be doing this behind the original creators back. They should build a positive relationship between these creators and the game but they are making it a bitter relationship.

They wouldn't have put in the Thanos special mode without Marvel Comics' and Disney's prior knowledge. That's what made it cool, it was clearly a collaboration. So I don't know why they feel the need to 'steal' other people's dance moves. I'm not a fan of this move at all. It should be an honour to have your move featured in Fortnite not a surprise.

23 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

$100,000,000 out of it, unlikely

Be nice to see the salaries for that show.