Alfonso Ribeiro Sues Epic Games

Fresh Prince of Bel-Air star sues Fortnite creators for allegedly stealing 'Carlton Dance'

Source: https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/entertainment/2018/12/fresh-prince-of-bel-air-s-star-sues-fortnite-creators-for-stealing-carlton-dance.html?fbclid=IwAR17NFCYxQctBiADihVcs85gATRPiUki6prilQKfeoPCDWIfxjoBMbR5xwA

Alfonso Ribeiro, who played Carlton Banks in the '90s sitcom The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air, is reportedly suing the creators of Fortnite for stealing his dance.

'The Carlton Dance' was a trademark of Ribeiro's iconic character, and he's now claiming the 'Fresh' emote in Fortnite is an exact replica of his well-known moves.

TMZ reports that Ribeiro has filed a suit against Epic Games, who publish the wildly popular multi-player video game, claiming he's in the process of copyrighting the dance.

"It is widely recognised that Mr Ribeiro's likeness and intellectual property have been misappropriated by Epic Games in the most popular video game currently in the world, Fortnite," Ribeiro's lawyer David Hecht reportedly told TMZ.

"Epic has earned record profits off of downloadable content in the game, including emotes like 'Fresh'," he said.

"Yet Epic has failed to compensate or even ask permission from Mr Ribeiro for the use of his likeness and iconic intellectual property."

Earlier this month, rapper 2 Milly launched nearly identical legal action against the game, claiming the 'Swipe It' emote rips off the Milly Rock dance he invented.

He certainly has a case for it, although if its not copyrighted I don't know how he can win unfortunately - its probably protected as a copyright owned by the makers of the Fresh Prince of Bel Air however, it would be in the script. Epic Games should have asked for his consent - and it might as well have been approved, it is in Team Fortress 2 by Valve and is acknowledged in the game to be from Alfonso. 

givingtnt

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

so America's Funniest Home Video's isn't making him enough? I'll be honest filling Tom Bergeron's shoes is probably very tough.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

5 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

*Puts Gangnam style chorus dance into game

*Gets mother-fathered by the old butlers in the gentlemen song

*Puts turks dance into game

*Gets sueued by the makers of Scrubs

✨FNIGE✨

2 hours ago, handymanshandle said:

Oh by the way, why not sue Valve for incorporating a community-made taunt based off of the Carlton in TF2?

maybe it's not as popular.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

40 minutes ago, williamcll said:

maybe it's not as popular.

^This, I'm 100% behind him, Alfonso, a step toward ridding the world of the cancer that is BR is a step in the right direction

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

One of these days we'll be getting sued for using the oxygen in the air because some clown said "first". This system is such horseshit.

6 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

One of these days we'll be getting sued for using the oxygen in the air because some clown said "first". This system is such horseshit.

Copyright and Trademark are core systems for a functioning modern economy. It's working fine in this situation.

1 hour ago, Canada EH said:

Does he have the dance patented or copyrighted or trademarked?

He apparently has some trademarks around it? It's a messy legal area, to my understanding, so there's a massive "it depends" to everything about it. But he has enough of a position to make Epic want to settle the matter fairly quickly.

8 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Copyright and Trademark are core systems for a functioning modern economy. It's working fine in this situation.

He apparently has some trademarks around it? It's a messy legal area, to my understanding, so there's a massive "it depends" to everything about it. But he has enough of a position to make Epic want to settle the matter fairly quickly.

Honestly I think is rediculus. I hope he loses the suit because trademarking a dance is actually dumb. 

9 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I mean it would be like if a hockey player trademarked a move they created that way nobody else could use it. Or a skate boarder with a trick. Saying you own a dance move is just plain dumb. 

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Honestly I think is rediculus. I hope he loses the suit because trademarking a dance is actually dumb. 

It's not a dance. It's named after a role he's iconic for and can be popularly recognized for. "Let's get ready to rumble" is trademarked as well by the guy that made it famous. In an era of Video being as important as Type-face, it's well within the classic understanding of trademark. 

4 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I mean it would be like if a hockey player trademarked a move they created that way nobody else could use it. Or a skate boarder with a trick. Saying you own a dance move is just plain dumb. 

Phrase, slogans and plenty of "word combinations" are all trademarked. Full copies of video are protected copyright. Derivative works is always where things get wonky. The Fair Use (laws) and SCOTUS cases (dealing with USA law here) give wide berth for parody, but that's not really what Epic, or any other game dev, is doing. I'm not saying it's the best idea for a case to be pursued, but Epic will settle this, as there is enough there to make it worrisome going forward.

It's not the fact that it's in the game, it's the fact that it's supposedly part of a paid DLC. Epic is making money off of it. And that's illegal if somebody else owns the rights to it. I highly doubt this will go to trial. It'll either be removed, or there will be a settlement

Graphic Design + Gaming Machine:

CPU: i7-8700 GPU: ASUS GTX 1060 6GB RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengence STORAGE: 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM CASE: Phantek P400 Tempered Glass

World of Warcraft also took dances from real people, one dance for each gender of each race. I'd like to see them sue Blizzard, glhf

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

6 hours ago, RejZoR said:

If he trademarked it, he has every right to sue Epic. It's how it is.

I guess you could say if he sues them. It'll be EPIC!!

Okay I'll go

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.