Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Video Card keeps restarting itself

Rougewarrior_187

So here is my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KsLtbX

I am having issue that while gaming, I lose display, but the PC remains running. I can still hear audio and everything. I just lose display. I can not regain display unless I fully power off my PC and power it back on. Even though the card does restart itself. the fan just seems to turbo at full speed. At first, it would do this immediately upon just spawning in CSGO. I messed with the settings, turned it off its OC mode and just had it run stock, as well as turning up the power limit to 105% and upping the fan curve slightly. That seemed to fix the issue. Then in borderlands 2, it occurred again, but only once during a particle heavy scene. But then it never happened again. Then today, while playing Rising storm 2, it happened twice. But not during any graphical heavy scenes. it handled the napalm and artillery strikes, but happened while I re-spawned.

The second time I was running MSI afterburner and was having everything GPU related recorded. And everything was, normal... Temperature was never higher than 55C, power usage was in the low 60%s, and almost everything seemed fine. What I noticed though, was the core clock of the card was at 1911 Ghz. from start to crash, it never fluctuated. But on stock settings, the card should only turbo to around 1775 Ghz.

My first suspicion was thermal throttling, but after seeing temps I am pretty sure its not that. So I thought power maybe? But i have a fair bit of headroom on mu PSU, granted its 5 years old, but it never gave me issues with my last build. After doing some online research, I found a forum where a person had a similar issue, and it turned out the card had a faulty temp sensor and was reporting lower temps than it actually had, and was thermal throttling.

I am pretty sure I am just going to RMA, but I just want a second opinion to make sure I am not missing anything.

15 minutes ago, Rougewarrior_187 said:

My first suspicion was thermal throttling, but after seeing temps I am pretty sure its not that. So I thought power maybe? But i have a fair bit of headroom on mu PSU, granted its 5 years old, but it never gave me issues with my last build.

You might have purchased it 5 years ago, but the Rosewill Green RG630-S12 is actually about 10 years old. Here's a review of it from 2009. https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/rosewill-green-series-630-w-rg630-s12-power-supply-review/

Might not the cause of the issue you described, but should be replaced regardless.

24 minutes ago, Rougewarrior_187 said:

What I noticed though, was the core clock of the card was at 1911 Ghz. from start to crash, it never fluctuated. But on stock settings, the card should only turbo to around 1775 Ghz.

That's normal. Nvidia cards have something called "GPU Boost" which boosts the clock speeds higher as long as temperature is under control.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450