Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Steam Refuses To Launch. Tried Everything...

This is a fresh install of Windows 10. Nothing's installed but drivers, chrome, discord, telegram and steam. I click on steam and it simply does nothing. according to task manager steam IS running but it won't actually launch.

When I first installed it, it popped up the login window just fine but refuses to do anything beyond that. I've tried killing the task and launching it again, I tried running it in compatibility mode for windows 7. all it did was pop up a warning telling me not to do that. I tried launching it as administrator, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it, and I ran windows update along with countless reboots in the middle of all of that. Some people say it can be caused by anti virus software but, like I said, it's a fresh install of windows and I haven't installed any anti virus.

I've been at this for hours and I'm about ready to to take a hammer to my computer...

8 minutes ago, DCWalt said:

" Delete everything except STEAM.EXE and STEAMAPPS folder.

Then run Steam.exe again. "

Is the classic fix for some things I think, just like delete all of the other files in the folders, might work

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

6 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

" Delete everything except STEAM.EXE and STEAMAPPS folder.

Then run Steam.exe again. "

Is the classic fix for some things I think, just like delete all of the other files in the folders, might work

Just tried it. it seemed like it was working but then... it didn't. As soon as I log in everything just stops

4 minutes ago, DCWalt said:

Just tried it. it seemed like it was working but then... it didn't. As soon as I log in everything just stops

Might have something to do with the version of windows you installed,

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Might have something to do with the version of windows you installed,

it's just Windows 10 Home. I was thinking about trying to reinstall it again... don't really want to but I got nothing else right now

2 minutes ago, DCWalt said:

it's just Windows 10 Home. I was thinking about trying to reinstall it again... don't really want to but I got nothing else right now

Like the actual specific version, because it may be a newer one, and microsoft doesn't test windows builds anymore, so there's a good number of bugs n junk

You could try to find an older ISO, or if you're using an older one download the latest ISO from their website.

Spoiler

No AV etc. installed? If there is, disable it. You can also try to disable Windows AV.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

10 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

No AV etc. installed? If there is, disable it. You can also try to disable Windows AV.

I already tried. didn't do crap