Vintage Nautical Port/Starboard Lamp PC Build

Go to solution Solved by kb5zue,

The only drawback that I can find is that you didn't include any pictures of your build.

Bula from Fiji Islands! World Renown Olympic Gold medalists in 7s Rugby!! And our Famous Fiji Water!

I was inspired by Linus, and the other guys (don't want to post their channels as it might be in conflict with Linus so lets just say Jay and Bit) Youtube channels. As in the Pacific Islands we are way behind in the tech industry. I love tech and thanks to you guys I have been able to build this one of a kind PC (with the best parts I can get here on the Island)

This build consists of gutting out two desktops and a laptop, and using parts for this build since PC parts are ridiculously expensive here in Fiji Islands and not to mention our very weak currency. I got the rigs when the company I worked for closed down and the owner gave me all the office equipment. Once I have enough moolah ($) to upgrade parts I will then do so (unless some good samaritan gifts me something :) ). The Beauty of this build is the Custom Case. I have modified an old Copper Port/Starboard Light that was used in the old days on ships. These are vintage items, I'm talking about 100 year old lamps. Mines an Authentic one owned by my father who was a sailor who got his off his ships captain, bless his soul.

The Build (Which Is still in Progress physically yet complete imaginatively)

1st Step I took was to plan the layout and size up everything to fit in this case. I had to go with a Small Form Factor build as very little space was available for everything. However in the end this build will turn out great (Once I buy a SSD and the GPU it will be complete) My planning was drawn up on a whiteboard (perfect for erasing and re drawing) I also checked the compatibility of all the parts using pcpartpicker. Its amazing the things people have made free on the internet! God bless their souls!

2nd step was the cutting of the back plate using a grinder and cutting disk, (Using a dremmel would have been more cleaner than grinder and cutting disk, however the tools I had to work with were what I could find). I installed hinges and locking mechanism for easy access to internals for upgrading in future and maintenance. To get proper measurements and mounting points I photocopied to scale the mother board, HDD, etc and drilled the marked holes. Everything aligned perfectly. I will have the 2x80mm fans from the 2 gutted desktops mounted at the bottom and a large fan from a cooler master laptop stand fan that fits perfectly on the case top opening. The Power supply mounts at the bottom, HDD between the Glass slots along with cable management. Motherboard on back plate. I ordered the hinges and edge guard for lining the back plate I had cut out as grinder cutting disk took out a good chunk of metal leaving a big space. Got it off aliexpress.

3rd step was installing all the parts and cable management. This was the easiest part as I had all the videos for this at my disposal. I got a lot of stuff off aliexpress which were mind glowingly cheap (Cable ties the velcro type, motherboard risers and screws, the CPU cooler, its a Segotop model, the thermal paste and some thermal pads)

4th step Installing OS and Drivers. I have the windows 7 Pro OEM from the two desktops I gutted. Wondering if I can use it to get Windows 10. Will find out once I get the SSD and GPU.

Tools

Star Screw Driver, Engineer Chalk (marking), Grinder with thin cutting Disk, Drill and drill bit, Centre Punch (Marking and drill guid) File (for filing off rough edges and size), Hammer (for driving centre punch) and finally Imagination the most important tool that birthed this build.

I am saving up to get a good Graphics card, some decent RAM and an SSD and CPU to complete it. I plan in the future to upgrade to a better motherboard and liquid cooling. I will want to use copper tubing to compliment the case. The Glass is a special magnified glass and it really shows off the internals of the build. The PC Gods also made cable management a breeze with the way the Case was originally built. 

Parts List 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i3-6100 3.7 GHz Dual-Core OEM/Tray Processor Purchased For $0.00
CPU Cooler Cooler Master - MasterAir MA410P 66.7 CFM CPU Cooler Purchased For $0.00
Motherboard Asus - H110M-A D3 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard Purchased For $0.00
Memory ADATA - 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1333 Memory Purchased For $0.00
Storage Kingston - A400 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $70.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate - Momentus 1 TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $0.00
Storage Seagate - Momentus 1 TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $0.00
Video Card Zotac - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB Mini Video Card $409.99 @ B&H
Power Supply Enermax - 500 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply Purchased For $0.00
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit $124.79 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Enermax - UC-8EB 24 CFM 80mm Fan Purchased For $0.00
Case Fan Enermax - UC-8EB 24 CFM 80mm Fan Purchased For $0.00
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $615.77
  Mail-in rebates -$10.00
  Total $605.77
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-17 04:40 EST-0500  

Will upload pics once everything is coming along!

IMG_20181218_122106.jpg

IMG_20181218_122051.jpg

IMG_20181218_121900.jpg

Edited by OBLIV10US
Add pictures, spelling correction

Bula kb5zue! Thanks for your time viewing my build! Just uploaded a few pictures. Unfortunately only 20MB allowed for upload. So heres a few more! Cheers

IMG_20181218_121916.jpg

IMG_20181218_121909.jpg

IMG_20181218_121949.jpg

You are a man of culture sir

image.png.8d841d36ecc276bcba80344236acfbe4.png

i7-8086K, Strix Z370E-Gaming, G.Skill Trident 32gb 3000MHZ CL 14, Strix 1080 Ti OC, Corsair HX1000i, Obsidian 1000D, Corsair Hydro X custom loop, 13x Corsair LL120, Corsair Lighting Node Pro, 2x SSD Adata SU800 3DNand - 1tb and 128gb, 1Tb WD Blue, Cable Mod Full Cable Kit, Monitor Asus XG27VQ 144Mhz Curved

@Enochian Vinaka (thank you pronounced 'vee-nuh-car') You are too kind! That bird you see near the decanters. Its actually a cigarette dispenser!  Would be nice if the decanters were full of classy Scotch/Whiskey! 

• 5 months later...

It's been a while but I have been tinkering at my build again. It is looking Nauticaly Serious! The glass magnifies the inner guts. Lights, motherboard and cable management is so clean. I only wish I had beefier hardware. But it's rocking waves so I can't complain!

IMG_20190516_200401.jpg

IMG_20190516_200413.jpg