Thunderbolt 3 motherboards

I'm really confused about how Thunderbolt 3 works on PC. Is every motherboard with a type c port Thunderbolt compatible? I'm looking for a decent Z390 motherboard that can handle Thunderbolt 3 (Preferably ATX)

So, USB 3.1 Gen 2 and Thunderbolt 3 LOOK the same, but they aren't the same.  

Just know that you can plug a USB Type C device/cable into a Thunderbolt 3 Port and it will work just fine without problems.  You cannot use a Thunderbolt 3 cable or device out of a USB C port though.    

There are not many ATX boards that have a native Thunderbolt 3 Port...in fact none that I can think of off the top of my head.  Asrock's Taichi boards, and maybe a few others have a Thunderbolt 3 header on them that you can connect PCIe Thunderbolt 3 AIC Card to. 

The only Z390 mobo I know that has a Thunderbolt 3 port on it is Asrock Phantom Gaming ITX /ac.  

I looked into this quite a bit about a year ago when I was building a new PC for my recording studio.  TB3 is a very common connection for audio recording interfaces, so it was an essential option for me.  It seemed like Asrock, at least at the time, was implementing TB3 into their mobo's more than other brands.