Zotac 1080 ti remove backplate and add fans on top ?

d3athAdder

Its been few days since i got a used 1080 ti. And its getting heated crazy on the backplate and specially the 2 exposed vrms on the backplate.

i see that even if the backplate has very little direct contact with PCB, it gets very hot, then imagine actual temps on the components.

As gamer nexus vid says the cooling on this card is meh. so i was thinking just remove the backplate and put 120mm x 2 fans on the pcb with some support.

that should ideally cool the pcb and vrms below it ? or should the vrms be cooled from the top ? 

i know that the rubber between heatsink and vrms heatsink should be removed, and a thermal pad should be added betwee. but i dont think that will be efficient than adding fans.

~ i7 950 stock | Cooler Master Hyper 212+ | Asus Sabertooth | MSI GTX 570 stock | Antec 750W True Power | Corsair XMS3 4GBx4 1600 | WD Green 1 TB | WD Blue 3 TB  | Seagate Ironwolf 4 TB | Xbox 360 wired Controller | CM Storm ENFORCER ~

~  RIP - Dell Studio 1555 | Backlit Keyboard | 1080 P | Battery almost Dead..  ~

~ RIP - Intel P4 1.7 ghz | 4o GB HDD | 17'' | 256 MB Ram | 845 GLLY | Custom modded led Keyboard ~
~(+ my d3ad brain lol:))~

6 minutes ago, d3athAdder said:

Its been few days since i got a used 1080 ti. And its getting heated crazy on the backplate and specially the 2 exposed vrms on the backplate.

i see that even if the backplate has very little direct contact with PCB, it gets very hot, then imagine actual temps on the components.

As gamer nexus vid says the cooling on this card is meh. so i was thinking just remove the backplate and put 120mm x 2 fans on the pcb with some support.

that should ideally cool the pcb and vrms below it ? or should the vrms be cooled from the top ? 

i know that the rubber between heatsink and vrms heatsink should be removed, and a thermal pad should be added betwee. but i dont think that will be efficient than adding fans.

The backplate will help with heatsinking as long as there is some thermal pads, but adding a fan over it isn't a bad idea to give it some incidental airflow for cooling.