Microsoft developer blames Google for the switch to Chromium engine in the next version of Windows 10

GoodBytes

Reported back 2 weeks ago, Microsoft Edge team announced that they'll drop EdgeHTML engine in favor of using Chromium engine, the same engine used in Chrome.

You can read more about it here:

A, now, ex-Edge developer shares a bit of light for the decision in Switching from EdgeHTML to Chromium engine, and may explain why other web browsers all switches to, or picked Chromium as well, leaving Firefox the only large player out there with its own engine before Google has total domination on the web standard.

The reason is that Google uses it's monopoly on services like YouTube that it has, to contentiously update their websites and web browser with changes so that Chrome performs fine on them, and break or slows down other web browsers engines, like Edge, Opera (before they switch to Chromium engine) and Firefox.

For example, as he mentions: Google updated YouTube to break the Edge video acceleration system which delivered (claimed by Microsoft) to the user the best battery life while watching videos on the web, while ensure that Chrome is not affected by this. Then, as soon that was done, Google announces how their web browser performs better during video playback, while in reality no optimization work was ever done on the web browser in that regard, to ensure that user to switch or try Edge.

Known as JoshuaJB on Hacker News, the employee who previously worked on EdgeHTML reports:

For example, they may start integrating technologies for which they have exclusive, or at least ‘special’ access. Can you imagine if all of a sudden Google apps start performing better than anyone else’s?”

This is already happening. I very recently worked on the Edge team, and one of the reasons we decided to end EdgeHTML was because Google kept making changes to its sites that broke other browsers, and we couldn’t keep up. For example, they recently added a hidden empty div over YouTube videos that causes our hardware acceleration fast-path to bail (should now be fixed in Win10 Oct update). Prior to that, our fairly state-of-the-art video acceleration put us well ahead of Chrome on video playback time on battery, but almost the instant they broke things on YouTube, they started advertising Chrome’s dominance over Edge on video-watching battery life. What makes it so sad, is that their claimed dominance was not due to ingenious optimization work by Chrome, but due to a failure of YouTube. On the whole, they only made the web slower.

Now while I’m not sure I’m convinced that YouTube was changed intentionally to slow Edge, many of my co-workers are quite convinced – and they’re the ones who looked into it personally. To add to this all, when we asked, YouTube turned down our request to remove the hidden empty div and did not elaborate further.

And this is only one case.

Source: https://www.onmsft.com/news/ex-edge-developer-blames-google-tricks-in-part-for-move-to-chromium

I find it interesting on how Google is applying similar strategies that Microsoft took back in the very old days to get market domination and stay on top. And now Microsoft being affected by the same game that they played before on them. In Google case, they take advantage of the current trust from its consumers, positive/"open to all" image, to do the exact contrary under people noses. We have seem a Firefox developer also complain about action that Google has taken to ensure that Firefox performs poorly on YouTube.

4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

The reason is that Google uses it's monopoly on services like YouTube that it has, to contentiously update their websites with their web browser with changes so that Chrome performs fine, and break or slows down other web browsers.

we'll use google's thing because they're doing a shady thing to try to monopolize the browser market, so instead of just using gecko and preventing google from monopolizing the market further, we'll just complain while helping them do just that should be good enough our hands are clean! 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Wanna hit the spell checker there bud? xD

But seriously thats sad :/ 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

tbh, regardless of how the change was done. moving away from IE and Edge is very much a good thing.

there's so many little things that they both can't do that Firefox & Chrome can because they won't update themselves and follow up on tech peing pushed by FF and Google 
(For example, CSS Grids, witch is basically unsuported completly on Edge & Explorer, even though they both started the tech. but never updated it like FF and Google)

so like, having one less drag as a web dev is veeeryyy good.
(though there's still safari.. but that's apple and I doubt they'd budge that easely..)

And they claim that google has a monopoly.. but like. their browser support is terrible.
They're basically being lazy and shouting at Google, trying to blame them.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Eh, Edge's engine was crap anyways, I don't care how shady things went that led to its death. Took too long to implement web standards, which is something quite annoying for us web devs, and why tools like Babel exist that adopt standard code to work with these kinds of browsers.

🙂

10 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

And they claim that google has a monopoly.. but like. their browser support is terrible.
They're basically being lazy and shouting at Google, trying to blame them.

Yup, but then again, when did MS ever put out anything that you voluntarily used?

I can't think of anything short of Win95.

We use Google (or in my case, Centbrowser) because it's better.

Build a better browser, and I'll give it a swing.

Ive been there since the beginning of the browser wars, I have no loyalty to Google, my only goal is to use the best browser available.

For a while, that was Opera. The FF, until FF went full retard. Then Chrome, and Chrome went full stupid on the UI, I tried Pale Moon (heh, talk about a desert of choice) and found Centbroswer, which works great, faster even (IME) than Google with less overhead.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

4 minutes ago, duncannah said:

Eh, Edge's engine was crap anyways, I don't care how shady things went that led to its death.

Sure, but it can also explain why they went with Chromium engine, and not Firefox one.

What about Safari?

14 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Sure, but it can also explain why they went with Chromium engine, and not Firefox one.

Firefox has its own problems, and Chrome has the biggest marketshare.

🙂

Chrome and Chromium can simply fuck off. In my experience Firefox is a much better web browser.

And shouldn't EU or US do something about Google's monopolyposition or are they Google's bitches and got bent too much over?

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

1 minute ago, duncannah said:

Firefox has its own problems, and Chrome has the biggest marketshare.

Yeah but MS is going "hurr durr google is too big and they abuse their dominant position" but instead of helping the other competitor of google (firefox) they basically gave up and are helping their biggest enemy right now.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

they recently added a hidden empty div over YouTube videos that causes our hardware acceleration fast-path to bail

How come their "state-of-the-art" video acceleration broke over something as small as this? It was doomed from the start.

6 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Yeah but MS is going "hurr durr google is too big and they abuse their dominant position" but instead of helping the other competitor of google (firefox) they basically gave up and are helping their biggest enemy right now.

I don't think Mozilla (privacy advocate) would be too fond of cooperating with Microsoft (total opposite)

🙂

Do I think this is bad for the openness and decentralized nature of the web? Yes.

Do I feel sorry for microsoft? Heck no.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

3 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Actually, Google and Microsoft butt heads really hard since 2010 when Microsoft tried to enter the consumer phone market. Google started doing everything ti can block its services to run on Microsoft phones.

I feel like Microsoft have been beaten at their own game. Kinda worried how well future compatibility with Sharepoint will be. Our IT group will probably prevent the update that rolls Edge forward to Chromium I guess. 

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

4 minutes ago, duncannah said:

How come "state-of-the-art" video acceleration can fail over something as small as this? They were doomed to fail.

Because, it prevents the web browser from knowing if the video has exclusive mode, to kick-start it the video acceleration process.

It doesn't break the video acceleration, it breaks the detection system.

2 minutes ago, dtaflorida said:

I feel like Microsoft have been beaten at their own game. Kinda worried how well future compatibility with Sharepoint will be. Our IT group will probably prevent the update that rolls Edge forward to Chromium I guess. 

Well... not to worry.

Chromium and its engine is open source. Microsoft can ensure that its website aren't broken and run properly. At worse, make a branch of Chromium, and do their own stuff. But the worst that will happen is that Sharepoint will be updated so that it performs better with Chromium. And remember that Firefox runs fine Sharepoint.

5 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Because, it prevents the web browser from knowing if the video has exclusive mode, to kick-start it the video acceleration process.

It doesn't break the video acceleration, it breaks the detection system.

Looks like a Microsoft specific thing according to a search. No wonder it broke easily. Would've helped if they made the browser update by itself instead of depending on OS updates (which more and more people are skeptical of because of the recent file deletion bug and such)

🙂

Microsoft getting outplayed at their own EEE game... Interesting

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

6 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I'm mixed about this. On one hand it is a crappy way to "force" people to your way of doing things. But on the other, having a single way of doing things makes it easier for development and usage.

I think we will see a return of:

"This website works best with Chrome and a resolution of 1920x1080. Please adjust your screen resolution to 1920x1080 and use Chrome web browser."

at the bottom of every page, or just lock you out. Yay good old days!

Just now, GoodBytes said:

"This website works best with Chrome and a resolution of 1920x1080. Please adjust your screen resolution to 1920x1080 and use Chrome web browser."

I recall a website that did it for a browser I didn't use. I was perplexed and vowed never to use that site.

I think it got forgotten in time.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I recall a website that did it for a browser I didn't use. I was perplexed and vowed never to use that site.

I think it got forgotten in time.

Hehe. But the said thing is, if Google.com and YouTube will be locked out if you don't use Chrome... many will do whatever it takes to surf these webpages.

18 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Hehe. But the said thing is, if Google.com and YouTube will be locked out if you don't use Chrome... many will do whatever it takes to surf these webpages.

And yet nobody seems to mind. I recall when an article reported Microsoft got into hot water for telling people to use Edge or something when using Bing with an alternate browser, I called out in the comments section that Google does the same thing on the search engine page. The author of the article actually didn't think it was a thing until I showed them a screenshot from Firefox on Google's homepage with Google not-so-subtly telling me I should use Chrome for the bestest experience.

So apparently Google gets a free pass because their browser "just works" with Google websites, which happen to be some of the most visited ones on the internet. Go figure.

15 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Websites forcing Chrome are quite rare (I used Firefox for a year), and when there's one, it's usually because they require some features that aren't available to other browsers (with no alternative) and that are vital to the functioning of the site, although I was guilty of doing this during my early days when compatibility was a lot worse

🙂