Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Motherboard Recommendations (Buying a new MOBO)

Hello there, I hope I'm doing this right. 

I'm looking for a new MOBO, relatively cheap probably within the $300 range USD. My current MOBO is a MSI Gaming 5 z97 (my chip is a 4790k LGA1150 socket). I'm looking for either another LGA1150, a replacement motherboard for my current one.

 

If not possible or not good for gaming/streaming/recording, then I can look into upgrading, but I would also have to upgrade my RAM to (probably) DDR4, my CPU and the motherboard itself. If any other specs are needed, I can post them through PCPartPicker.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Relatively cheap within $300?  You haven't even been looking yet have you?

 

What's wrong with your current motherboard?  Only reason to buy a new one is if you upgrade the entire system, but the 4790K is still very relevant.

Emma : i9 9900K 5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID 0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Corsair Virtuoso SE - Logitech G910, G502 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

 

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Samsung 27" + Dell 24" 

 

Raven:  Intel i3 10100F - ASRock H410M-HDV - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2666Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Inland 256GB SSD + Toshiba 2TB HDD - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Spectre 24" 

 

Other Tech:

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

most important, how much are u looking to spend on the cpu+mobo+´mem

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have looked and most of the options are way pricy, so I figured I'd ask another source to see options.

 

I've upgraded my cooler, GPU, and will be "upgrading" my RAM shortly as well. So I'm basically overhauling the system. I've had the current MOBO and CPU for 4-5 years or so.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, lukart said:

most important, how much are u looking to spend on the cpu+mobo+´mem

Despite the previous mention of price range, I'm open to different ranges. I may have to wait a little longer but I am open to suggestions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Tsuki481 said:

I have looked and most of the options are way pricy, so I figured I'd ask another source to see options.

 

I've upgraded my cooler, GPU, and will be "upgrading" my RAM shortly as well. So I'm basically overhauling the system. I've had the current MOBO and CPU for 4-5 years or so.

$300 is the upper edge of motherboard pricing for current gens.  Old stuff, just get used.

 

WHy are you wanting to swap motherboards?  

Emma : i9 9900K 5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID 0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Corsair Virtuoso SE - Logitech G910, G502 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

 

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Samsung 27" + Dell 24" 

 

Raven:  Intel i3 10100F - ASRock H410M-HDV - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2666Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Inland 256GB SSD + Toshiba 2TB HDD - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Spectre 24" 

 

Other Tech:

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, jstudrawa said:

$300 is the upper edge of motherboard pricing for current gens.  Old stuff, just get used.

 

WHy are you wanting to swap motherboards?  

I have a current feeling (and issues) with USB ports and other ports going bad, not working, failing to recognize new devices that I just purchased. It's also for longevity reasons, this one is very old and I'm just wanting to renew.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Tsuki481 said:

I have a current feeling (and issues) with USB ports and other ports going bad, not working, failing to recognize new devices that I just purchased. It's also for longevity reasons, this one is very old and I'm just wanting to renew.

Gotcha.  It's not very old at all, but if it's failing.. If you're spending money on a replacement, I'd just grab a used one.  Spending $300 for a new motherboard is the level I'd just replace it all, CPU/Mobo/RAM and be currentish.

 

 

Emma : i9 9900K 5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID 0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Corsair Virtuoso SE - Logitech G910, G502 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

 

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Samsung 27" + Dell 24" 

 

Raven:  Intel i3 10100F - ASRock H410M-HDV - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2666Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Inland 256GB SSD + Toshiba 2TB HDD - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Spectre 24" 

 

Other Tech:

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Tsuki481 said:

I have a current feeling (and issues) with USB ports and other ports going bad, not working, failing to recognize new devices that I just purchased. It's also for longevity reasons, this one is very old and I'm just wanting to renew.

you know the CPU at this point is 4 years old right?

 

looking for mobos is something you can strictly do on the used market. so its kinda whatever you can find in your local area. 

 

 

 

i would just bear with the current motherboard and save up to a CPU, Mobo, and Ram upgrade

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, jstudrawa said:

Gotcha.  It's not very old at all, but if it's failing.. If you're spending money on a replacement, I'd just grab a used one.  Spending $300 for a new motherboard is the level I'd just replace it all, CPU/Mobo/RAM and be currentish.

 

 

 

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

you know the CPU at this point is 4 years old right?

 

looking for mobos is something you can strictly do on the used market. so its kinda whatever you can find in your local area. 

 

 

 

i would just bear with the current motherboard and save up to a CPU, Mobo, and Ram upgrade

A reply to both. Yes, I am aware the 4790k is 4 years old. Do  I know if that's still in lifetime or great performance? No. I'm great in some areas and fail in others. It's why I just started attending College again.

 

I will take the advice to look for some used motherboards, and as stated, I plan to upgrade the CPU, RAM, and motherboard if I can. As I have already upgraded everything else inside and out. (I'm also going to get a new case so those recommendations would be nice too.) Probably something along the range of large tower.

Thanks for any recommendations. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

well, the second hand new mobo section has been done (I think?). I'll do the new stuff. I can do it brand new for around 300 bucks actually, but you won't get a big improvement

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor $159.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock - B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard $59.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $109.99 @ Newegg
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $344.97
  Mail-in rebates -$15.00
  Total $329.97
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-17 14:24 EST-0500  

I would suggest waiting for now, and look what CES has to offer in 3 weeks, so you know more about the new zen2 chips

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

well, the second hand new mobo section has been done (I think?). I'll do the new stuff. I can do it brand new for around 300 bucks actually, but you won't get a big improvement

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor $159.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock - B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard $59.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $109.99 @ Newegg
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $344.97
  Mail-in rebates -$15.00
  Total $329.97
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-17 14:24 EST-0500  

I would suggest waiting for now, and look what CES has to offer in 3 weeks, so you know more about the new zen2 chips

Interesting, I was actually thinking of going to an AMD build honestly. I'm assuming for AMD I do not need to change my current 1070 SC2 and my current cooler. (DEEPCOOL Captain 240EX White AIO Liquid) I'll just have to swap from the supplied Intel brackets, to the AMD and change to the AMD mounting parts on the back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Tsuki481 said:

Interesting, I was actually thinking of going to an AMD build honestly. I'm assuming for AMD I do not need to change my current 1070 SC2 and my current cooler. (DEEPCOOL Captain 240EX White AIO Liquid) I'll just have to swap from the supplied Intel brackets, to the AMD and change to the AMD mounting parts on the back.

That's right, amd might take over intel in the upcomming lauch, they might not. I at least can't wait to see

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×