Signal App to Australia: You tried to ban cryptography? How cute! Good Luck with the ban!

AlTech

ArsTechnica reports that Signal App, one of the most (if not the most) secure and privacy oriented messaging app out there and 100% Snowden approved, has commented on the situation with Australia's Cryptography ban.

The developers have told Australia that they think this new ban is cute and good luck with enforcing it.

When developers of messaging apps simply don't have means to access the cryptographic keys used to encrypt a chat, there's really nothing the Australian government can do but watch in disbelief that anybody would actually design an app to be private and secure. ?

Signal, one of the most secure messaging apps, essentially told Australia this week that its attemptsto thwart strong crypto are rather cute.

"By design, Signal does not have a record of your contacts, social graph, conversation list, location, user avatar, user profile name, group memberships, group titles, or group avatars," Joshua Lund, a Signal developer wrote. "The end-to-end encrypted contents of every message and voice/video call are protected by keys that are entirely inaccessible to us. In most cases now we don’t even have access to who is messaging whom."

The developer pointed out that while the Australian government could try to block the service or restrict access, "this strategy hasn’t worked very well."

Signal users will find a way, he suggested.

"If a country decided to apply pressure on Apple or Google to remove certain apps from their stores, switching to a different region is extremely trivial on both Android and iOS," he continued. "Popular apps are widely mirrored across the internet. Some of them can even be downloaded directly from their official website."

Good job Signal! Show Australia who's boss! Encryption, that's who :D

As someone who has been using Signal app for the better part of 9 months I'm definitely happy Signal is standing their ground and protecting the people from outdated and unpopular government officials who make laws based on bad decisions.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

thats about the same as the usa trying to regulate bitcoin. good luck cause we dont know who made bitcoin and who says they will listen and on top of that how can you enforce it on something that has no physical entity

Honestly, If I were a tech company CEO I'd just reach out to the top 10 tech companys and boycott Australia,

Imagine the public outrage if apple, google, facebook, twitter, microsoft, amazon, samsung, etc just stopped support aus services, when you go to use them you just got a pop up that said "due to legislation that had been brought into place by the Australian Gov your laws are no longer compatible with our service" 

There soon would be a U turn.  

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, Ben Quigley said:

Honestly, If I were a tech company CEO I'd just read out to the top 10 tech companys and boycott Australia,

Imagine the public outrage if apple, google, facebook, twitter, microsoft, amazon, samsung, etc just stopped support aus services, when you go to use them you just got a pop up that said "due to legislation that had been brought into place by the Australian Gov your laws are no longer compatible with our service" 

There soon would be a U turn.  

that might work or it would give the government fuel to hate the company more if they spin it right but yes odds are it would be in the peoples best interest to do that as it show the companies are no longer going to be push overs like in the past when they do what you want just because your a government. google has much more power than it realizes over a government and i think its learning that now with the EU copyright stuff where they are like ya if that passes we're done and we dont care we have money else where so your only hurting your voters in the end

also wow a talk about government that hasn't gotten heated or angry or mentioned trump yet. and they say gamers are angry people who want to shoot people cause the games we play. Hmmmm who is the civil ones now you normal people. oh ya xbox live is a thing. i take that back.

2 minutes ago, Turretgaming said:

also wow a talk about government that hasn't gotten heated or angry or mentioned trump yet. and they say gamers are angry people who want to shoot people cause the games we play. Hmmmm who is the civil ones now you normal people. oh ya xbox live is a thing. i take that back.

The flood gates have not opened yet....

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I actually reached out to Wickr directly after the news, this is the response I got from them.

Elena H (Wickr Inc.) 
Dec 10, 22:49 CST 

Hello!

We are aware of Australia’s pending legislature that would give law enforcement and security agencies the ability to request access to encrypted communication. However, Wickr has been built to ensure that our servers store no user communications. All communications are undecipherable in transit and deleted upon delivery. Our customers use Wickr Pro because we are committed to this Privacy by Design. 

The EFF recently put out an article outlining the potential implementations of the legislation. It paints a bleak picture for Australian businesses, but points out why Wickr will carry on with business as usual:
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2018/12/new-fight-online-privacy-and-security-australia-falls-what-happens-next

So this is the first step, after this Australian bill becomes law. We can imagine Facebook and Apple and other messaging services fighting these orders as best as they can. Big tech companies are already struggling with a profound collapse in trust among their customers; the knowledge that they may be compelled to lie to those users will only add to their problems.

But what about other services, who refuse to compromise their users’ security? What about the open source projects that will ask their Australian contributors to stop working on their security code, and businesses who will choose not to employ Australian developers, or decline to open offices in that country?

Wickr is one of the "other services" referenced in the second quoted paragraph. We do not have any Australian contributors, devs, or offices. And we definitely are not considering adding any. Especially not now, after this. We are a company based in the USA, which is also where our servers are. Sorry if the news caused any undue concern as far as Wickr is concerned, and my condolences if you are a stakeholder in an Australian company. We will refuse to compromise our users' security.

Wickr, Inc. will continue to work closely with law enforcement to ensure timely and responsive returns when data is validly requested. The data we provide is very limited as detailed in our legal process guidelines - https://wickr.com/privacy/#legalprocess.

Our Customer Security Promises hold true for both Wickr Pro and Wickr Messenger. You can learn more about our commitment to privacy, security and transparency in both Wickr Pro and Wickr Me here - 
https://wickr.com/security/.

You can see why Forrester selected Wickr Pro as the most advanced Secure Communications platform for Enterprises here - 
https://wickr.com/forrester-report/.

Thank you for contacting us, and please let us know if you have any other further questions or feedback!

Elena

Those old bureaucrat buffoons everywhere really need to get they heads out of their ass holes. They're still trying to view everything as one single entity. Their view of various products is no longer true against everything. In the past, yes, there were only a handful of telecommunication companies and you can regulate the hell out of them. But most of the stuff nowadays on the internet is dispersed with no clear center. You can't just pull out your willy and try to slap on everyone's face like the "good old days"... 

Or they could just ban the app altogether in Australia.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

9 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Or they could just ban the app altogether in Australia.

And how would they do that?

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

51 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

prison time for people caught using it. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

This is just sad xD 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

8 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

prison time for people caught using it.

Bit extreme don't you think

the problem is that law makers are retarded in tech sense. 

Recently i was hearing the us congress vs google, and there was some old guy complaining to google ceo about is apple phone, he had to answer apple was a differente company ?

How does Signal make money? There are implications following from that.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 minutes ago, porina said:

How does Signal make money? There are implications following from that.

Signal accepts donations and grants.

Recently the co-founder of WhatsApp who left Facebook donated a not insignificant amount of money into it.

How does Signal compare to Telegram? I switched most of my chats to Telegram and I've been very happy so far

That's an F in the profile pic

2 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

How does Signal compare to Telegram? I switched most of my chats to Telegram and I've been very happy so far

Signal is known to have a more secure protocol but other than that there's not too many major differences.

Signal requires a phone number whereas Telegram doesn't. There's a bit different functionality and Telegram groups by default don't use End to End encryption iirc.

The funny thing is, this crypto thing in Australia was cooked up by clueless politicians who only seen security in Hollywood movies and just think there is this master key for everything and that they can just ask for it on demand. It's almost like no one told them how cryptography actually works.

48 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

They can be like the EU and sue until they bleed them dry.

This was in part why I asked how they get income. I'm no expert on international law, but if Signal operate wholly outside Australia (no offices, employees, infrastructure) then would Australia's law enforcement have any power to do anything?

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

5 minutes ago, porina said:

This was in part why I asked how they get income. I'm no expert on international law, but if Signal operate wholly outside Australia (no offices, employees, infrastructure) then would Australia's law enforcement have any power to do anything?

They have no offices in Australia. iirc their only office is in the US.

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Best they can do is remove from the all stores and ban their servers (like the anti-piracy system). Whether or not it will hurt them, it will cripple their visibility and potential user base. 

They've banned stuff in the past in hopes to stop criminals, with no effect on meaningful crime rates.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, handymanshandle said:

They can be like the EU and sue until they bleed them dry.

I mean even if they did try and sue unless they are somehow in Australia they could simply ignore it.