Network Card is dropping connection either with Torrent or 4K cable streaming

buri

hi,

Its hard to explain this situation however i have QLED tv and i started to download/stream 4K movies in my network, from my PC to my TV with a CAT6 cable (PC > Gigabit Switch > Router > TV: all cable connection)

If i run a movie via PLEX or TVs own Tizen system, lets says 70-100 gb, 50-60mbps bitrate files, sometimes connection drops from the computer and network card has this yellow indication mark that i cant reset from the computer with whatever cmd lines i used so i need to make a router reset to bring the card back to working in the computer. It also happens with torrent files, while i download big multiple files at once, same happens. 

I searched the internet to find a solution however nothing specific. I dont know what is causing this problem mainly bcs i checked the netwok bandwith rates while watching a 4K movie and it doesnt pass 8-9 mb/s and cable should hold 100-125 mb/s transfer rates. 

This is only happening with heavy files, i dont have any problem watching 30 gb 1080p movies. 

My board is Gigabyte Z370 HD3

8 gb ram

i3-8100 3.6 ghz 

windows 10 pro

was thinking to buy a seperate better network card if thats gonna fix the issue.

opinions are appreciated

thanks in advance

15 minutes ago, buri said:

hi,

Does this affect all devices on your network or just your own pc? 

Are Plex or your video files hosted on your PC or another device on your network?

2 minutes ago, Tabs said:

Does this affect all devices on your network or just your own pc? 

Are Plex or your video files hosted on your PC or another device on your network?

it only affects the PC which hosts/streams the files. 

When network card is down, all other devices are still accesing the internet and so on

Just now, buri said:

it only affects the PC which hosts/streams the files. 

When network card is down, all other devices are still accesing the internet and so on

Okay, can you confirm exactly which network adapter your board uses? I have the gigabyte Z170-XP SLI board and I know it has Intel I219-V, the Gigabyte support site for your board doesn't list the exact model of network adapter on yours other than stating that it's Intel.

If this is the case, it may be a simple driver issue, or it could be some of the advanced configuration settings need to be modified. Either way, it should be easily remedied.

Also: How long does it take for this problem to start once you begin streaming? Is it immediate or does it take a while? If it's immediate, I might get you to run a few diagnostic checks when it's erroring out to see if we can narrow down the problem.

Okay, can you confirm exactly which network adapter your board uses? I have the gigabyte Z170-XP SLI board and I know it has Intel I219-V, the Gigabyte support site for your board doesn't list the exact model of network adapter on yours other than stating that it's Intel.

If this is the case, it may be a simple driver issue, or it could be some of the advanced configuration settings need to be modified. Either way, it should be easily remedied.

Also: How long does it take for this problem to start once you begin streaming? Is it immediate or does it take a while? If it's immediate, I might get you to run a few diagnostic checks when it's erroring out to see if we can narrow down the problem.

i have the same model,  Intel I219-V.

Dropping issue takes sometime, its not immediate. 

Just now, buri said:

i have the same model,  Intel I219-V.

Dropping issue takes sometime, its not immediate. 

Okay, my first suggestion then is to ensure that your links are all running at gigabit speeds. This is unlikely to be the issue, but it's possibly the easiest thing to check first before messing with drivers and settings.

On your desktop, go to network and sharing centre, select "change adapter settings" at the left hand side, and then double click on your I219-V adapter. Make sure that the connection speed is listed as 1.0 Gbps. Once you've confirmed that it's running at gigabit speeds, swap the network cables around between your TV and your PC and check again that the link speed is still 1 Gbps.

Could you let me know what model of router you're using? The topographic you posted implies that your TV is connected directly to the router, the router to the switch, and your PC to the switch. If this is the case, is is possible to connect both the TV and PC to the switch to rule out some kind of transit issue involving the router? QoS could be at play.

Okay, my first suggestion then is to ensure that your links are all running at gigabit speeds. This is unlikely to be the issue, but it's possibly the easiest thing to check first before messing with drivers and settings.

On your desktop, go to network and sharing centre, select "change adapter settings" at the left hand side, and then double click on your I219-V adapter. Make sure that the connection speed is listed as 1.0 Gbps. Once you've confirmed that it's running at gigabit speeds, swap the network cables around between your TV and your PC and check again that the link speed is still 1 Gbps.

Could you let me know what model of router you're using? The topographic you posted implies that your TV is connected directly to the router, the router to the switch, and your PC to the switch. If this is the case, is is possible to connect both the TV and PC to the switch to rule out some kind of transit issue involving the router? QoS could be at play.

Network connection is listed 1 gbps 

Swaping the network cables is not that easy project, but i will try :)

Router is from the Movistar company in Spain so i need to check when i am at home. 

I will actually do 2 things, connect the pc to the router (excluding the switch here)

Also like you said, connect the tv to the switch.

I hate the ISP based routers, if i have a chance, i would change it. 

Switch is a TPLINK gigabit basic switch, dont think this is the issue. 

will get back to you in a day or two with an answer, thanks alot for your help 

6 minutes ago, buri said:

Network connection is listed 1 gbps 

Swaping the network cables is not that easy project, but i will try :)

Router is from the Movistar company in Spain so i need to check when i am at home. 

I will actually do 2 things, connect the pc to the router (excluding the switch here)

Also like you said, connect the tv to the switch.

I hate the ISP based routers, if i have a chance, i would change it. 

Switch is a TPLINK gigabit basic switch, dont think this is the issue. 

will get back to you in a day or two with an answer, thanks alot for your help 

I have a super basic TP-Link switch too, it's been 100% reliable except for once where it locked up during a very very short power outage, which is completely fair in my opinion.

Let me know when you get that info, I may not be monitoring this thread but feel free to PM me and I'll get a notification. Hopefully it wont take much work to get this sorted, redoing the wiring so everything except internet traffic is routed through the switch could be a good idea.

If you get the chance, make sure that any kind of ingress/egress prioritisation, traffic shaping or QoS settings on your router are disabled; same with jumbo frames. Many ISP provided routers don't handle that kind of stuff well.

What are the files on? Have had that happened with bad drives timing out the network card from responding.

Also common for torrents downloading to network drives to timeout. The solution in that case is to download them locally and then manually move the files to the network drive.