Which router/modem combo? Don't get combo?

ch3w2oy

I think the ubee pos one that we have is not working correctly so I'm looking to upgrade at the same time as replacing it. 

Is a combo unit good or should I get one of each? My computer will probably be the only one directly connected but there's probably 2-6 other devices connected via wifi. Sometimes I play online games like csgo, the kids play other online games on xbox or laptops or tablets. 

The one we had was originally good enough but I wasn't at just a small upgrade as that was one provided by Time Warner Cable. 

Mu-mimo important? 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

I'd lean towards getting them separate. If one breaks, you just replace that instead of the entire unit.

2 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

I'd lean towards getting them separate. If one breaks, you just replace that instead of the entire unit.

Good thinking. I haven't even considered that. Which is dumb because this one just went.

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

20 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

What Internet speed? One is 16x4 the other is 8x4

Sorry, Just got off the phone, they said 200mps plan but they send about 245mps

18 minutes ago, tomswife said:

The 16x4 is faster, no? I know nothing about this stuff. I want the one that can handle more devices without lag.

16 refers to the downstream channels (Download) and 4 refers to the upstream channels (Upload). The more you have the faster speeds it can support. I cant speak for your ISP because Im not sure who your with. BUT Comcast (Xfinity) will only allow a 8x4 modem on 200 Mbps service or below. Theoretically it could only achieve 220 Mbps on the Comcast network. Now keep in mind that only deals with Internet speed and not the speed of the WiFi on the device. 

Like @Mooshi I personally would not get a modem/router combo. I have a Separate modem and router. I have the SB6141 for my modem and the Synology RT2600AC for my router. Im subscribed to 150 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up, which is below the 200 Mbps limit on my modem. When and if we get faster speeds, Ill replace it with a 24x8 modem or go Docsis 3.1 modem. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.