Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do different monitors cause different levels of stress on a graphics card?

thedoor2103

Hi everyone,

Lately when I have been playing just about any game on my Asus 27 inch 4k monitor, even with the settings at 1080p, I have been getting bad artifacting and black screen lasting 2-3 seconds every minute or so. I decided to plug in a different older monitor, a samsung 24 inch 1080p at the same graphics settings, and all the problems go away. I don't believe the monitor is bad because I plugged in another computer to play games and have played 4k movies from a roku ultra and have had no problems. Anyway, my question is if the bigger 4k monitor is putting more stress on my gpu than it can handle and if that is why I'm having problems.

Thanks in advance.

My Build:

CPU : Ryzen 5 2600 inches

Motherboard: Asus Prime B450M-A

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x8gb 3000mhz

Storage: Samsung 860 evo 120gb ssd

WD Blue 1TB HDD

GPU: XFX Radeon RX580 8gb Black Edition

PSU: EVGA 600W 80+

Monitors in question:

Asus MG28UQ 27in 4k 60hz

Samsung Syncmaster T260 24in 1080p 60hz

3 minutes ago, thedoor2103 said:

I have been getting bad artifacting and black screen lasting 2-3 seconds every minute or so

That sounds more of a display cable issue. Can you test a different cable/port on both the display and the gpu?

I only see your reply if you @ me.

Yes, 4k gaming puts a lot more stress in gaming on the GPU than 1080p gaming will, however the artifacting makes me think theres some other issue, like drivers or something.

Yeah, sounds like cheap cable causing data packets to get dropped, resulting in corrupted frames .

2 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

That sounds more of a display cable issue. Can you test a different cable/port on both the display and the gpu?

I've tried 3 different displayport cables and hdmi

1 hour ago, RAM555789 said:

Yes, 4k gaming puts a lot more stress in gaming on the GPU than 1080p gaming will, however the artifacting makes me think theres some other issue, like drivers or something.

I'm not playing games at 4k. I know my gpu cant really handle it. I'm playing at 1080 on both monitors. Also all drivers are updated and I even did a clean reinstall.

Just now, thedoor2103 said:

I'm not playing games at 4k. I know my gpu cant really handle it. I'm playing at 1080 on both monitors

A 24 1080p monitor and a 27 inch 1080p monitor won't put more stress on the GPU, it still draws the same amount of pixels. Theres some under lying issue.

Quick update. When I said I had tried HDMI on the 4k monitor it was an HDMI 2.0 cable. Both that and the displayport cables had the problem. I just plugged in a regular cable and the problem went away. What does that mean?

Try using different Radeon Driver, probably that one you are using have artifact issue

I had similar issue playing Witcher 3 when it came out, the ground artifact so bad

But yeah I believe using higher resolution monitor does strain your GPU even if you are not using the native

When I first had my 4K monitor, I can't play games in full screen. PC will restart in a few minutes. Change my PSU and all fine

I have same dual monitor setup like you too. One 1080p and one 4K