Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How much of a bottleneck is a Vega 56 for a 1440p, 144Hz monitor?

ben127127

Hey guys. I'm a little scared here, if I'm being honest, because my build just got kinda bashed in buildapc discord and I'm worried I've built a poorly optimized PC for myself (I've already purchased about half of the parts) .I've made a few of their recommended changes, but one of the things they said was that my Sapphire Vega 56 will be a major bottleneck for my 1440P 144Hz monitor. How much of a problem will this be? Will this still be the case if I play less demanding games like League of Legends or csgo? I really appreciate the help - this is my first ever build, and even though I've put a lot of research into it, I know I may have made some mistakes.

Here's the build (post making a few changes): 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor Purchased For $239.99
CPU Cooler Noctua - NH-U14S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler Purchased For $51.99
Motherboard Gigabyte - Z390 GAMING X ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $139.99 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $109.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $50.00
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $58.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card Sapphire - Radeon RX VEGA 56 8 GB PULSE Video Card Purchased For $425.00
Case Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case $87.49 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For $39.99
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $98.89 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Enermax - UCTBA12P 63.89 CFM 120mm Fan Purchased For $3.00
Monitor Dell - S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor $299.99
Keyboard Logitech - G213 PRODIGY Wired Gaming Keyboard Purchased For $34.99
Mouse Logitech - G502 Proteus Spectrum Wired Optical Mouse Purchased For $34.99
Headphones Logitech - G PRO Headset $86.99 @ Amazon
Other USB 3.0 Extension Cable, Ugreen USB 3.0 Adapter Type A Male to Female Extender Cord (6ft) $7.29 @ Amazon
Other USB 3.0 Extension Cable, Ugreen USB 3.0 Adapter Type A Male to Female Extender Cord (6ft) $7.29 @ Amazon
Other SanDisk 16GB Ultra Flair CZ73 USB 3.0 Flash Drive, Speed Up to 130MB/s $6.99 @ Amazon
Other G440 HARD GAMING MOUSEPAD $29.99
Other Cat6 Ethernet Cable $3.98
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $1833.72
  Mail-in rebates -$10.00
  Total $1823.72
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-15 23:09 EST-0500  

Vega 56 can do 1440p60, or 1080p144.

1440p144 is Vega 64 territory.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If my post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // PSU Tier List // Bugs and Issues // Join Floatplane! // Join the LTT Official Discord //

The Vega 56 is pretty much equal to a GTX 1070. I don't see how it'll be anywhere near a major bottleneck to a 1440p 144Hz monitor. 

Your build looks fine to me.

2 minutes ago, tomswife said:

LOL, I play CSGO on my 4k with my Vega 56. About 100 FPS too ?

Bear in mind, CS:GO isn't a terribly demanding game...

If my post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // PSU Tier List // Bugs and Issues // Join Floatplane! // Join the LTT Official Discord //

I built a rig for my sister using a qdot 1440p display from Samsung with a Vega 56 card pushing it. She really enjoys it.

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

It’s more of a CPU bound game

11 minutes ago, ben127127 said:

-snip-

You won’t really be able to take advantage of 144Hz with that, a 1070/vega 56 can do around 60fps at 1440p high-highest settings

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Doesn't matter. Unless you're extremely competitive, it's just fine for any game. Especially at 1440p. You could probably change one or two settings, never effect quality, and play anything perfectly fine. I was laughing at the people telling him it's a bottleneck.

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

Just now, tomswife said:

Doesn't matter. Unless you're extremely competitive, it's just fine for any game. Especially at 1440p. You could probably change one or two settings, never effect quality, and play anything perfectly fine. I was laughing at the people telling him it's a bottleneck.

Just now, _d0nut said:

It’s more of a CPU bound game

That's my point, it doesn't take much to run CS:GO at any resolution. So even something like 4k doesn't take much to run.

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

That's my point, it doesn't take much to run CS:GO at any resolution. So even something like 4k doesn't take much to run.

No one denied that it wasn't your point. I kind of moved on from csgo in my reply. And like I said, the Vega 56 is perfectly fine unless you're extremely competitive and need the most fps IN ANY GAME (NOT JUST CSGO).

hope that helps. 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Actually I got curious and looked at many professional CS players’ specs. Most of them had 4 core i7s like the 3770k and older mid end gpus, like a gtx 660. I’d expect for csgo to run over 60fps at 4K highest to require maybe a GTX 1060 or 1070

He mentioned he played csgo. I shared my experience. And even if it's not GPU bound, it's still a damn fine card for playing whatever you want, 1080, 1440, 4k. Not everyone cares if you can read a license plate through a rearview mirror that you have in your scope on top of the empire state building in GTA 9.

33 minutes ago, ben127127 said:

Hey guys. I'm a little scared here, if I'm being honest, because my build just got kinda bashed in buildapc discord and I'm worried I've built a poorly optimized PC for myself (I've already purchased about half of the parts) .I've made a few of their recommended changes, but one of the things they said was that my Sapphire Vega 56 will be a major bottleneck for my 1440P 144Hz monitor. How much of a problem will this be? Will this still be the case if I play less demanding games like League of Legends or csgo? I really appreciate the help - this is my first ever build, and even though I've put a lot of research into it, I know I may have made some mistakes.

It's rather disappointing when someone claims a card is well suited for X framerate at X resolution as a blanket statement across all games, since performance varies very significantly between many games. Esport titles such as LoL and CS:GO, like you've specifically mentioned, will run beautifully on your system. For more demanding AAA titles to run at your max monitor capabilities, you have 3 more GPU performance tiers to look at; vega64/1080, 1080ti/2080, and 2080ti, the first of which runs ~$100US+ assuming buying a 1080 new, that you can find one reasonably priced, and that you've (hopefully) bought your vega 56 new at that price. The next two about double in cost or more. So, if you care somewhat about running something like the new Battlefield 5 closer to 1440p144Hz, changing the vega 56 for a 1080 makes sense. If you care significantly about maxing out a game like Battlefield 5, enough to spend double on your GPU, then look at higher than 1080.

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

Okay, let's start over. People are going to keep telling you that if you want to max out your monitor, the Vega 56 isn't gonna cut it. And it's not. That's just basic knowledge. Im not sure if that's what you wanted, but I got the feeling it's not. If you could please clarify this, it would be great. If you're looking to play games and are not worried about making sure you get 144 fps, 100% off the time, in 100% of the games you play, or don't play, you're just fine with what you have. It's great if you have a freesync monitor too, so that would be a plus.

I just came from a gtx 1060 and 144hz 1080p. Didn't care at all if I hit 144fps. Everyone is different. People on the internet like to assume that you need something you don't to reach something you don't care about. But if you do, by all means, get a 1080 ti. If you just want to play games like I do and don't mind dropping a few settings, you're straight golden. Game on brother. 

10 hours ago, meenmeen1103 said:

-snip-

9 hours ago, tomswife said:

-snip-

10 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

-snip-

10 hours ago, 1kv said:

-snip-

Sorry I didn't get to this until now, I went to sleep. I thoroughly appreciate all the responses. I don't have my heart set on getting 144FPS on every game I play, I mostly want to make sure I'll still have smooth and enjoyable gameplay, even on some more demanding games. However, it's good to know that my GPU is a bottleneck and I won't be getting everything out of my monitor - maybe I can look into an upgrade when the new line of AMD GPU's come out, which are supposed to be well priced and powerful. What I've gotten from these responses is that the Vega 56 is definitely a bottleneck in this build, but if I'm okay playing at medium-high settings, plus FreeSync, I can still play most games at a decent FPS. Correct me if that's wrong.

Thanks again!

3 minutes ago, ben127127 said:

Sorry I didn't get to this until now, I went to sleep. I thoroughly appreciate all the responses. I don't have my heart set on getting 144FPS on every game I play, I mostly want to make sure I'll still have smooth and enjoyable gameplay, even on some more demanding games. However, it's good to know that my GPU is a bottleneck and I won't be getting everything out of my monitor - maybe I can look into an upgrade when the new line of AMD GPU's come out, which are supposed to be well priced and powerful. What I've gotten from these responses is that the Vega 56 is definitely a bottleneck in this build, but if I'm okay playing at medium-high settings, plus FreeSync, I can still play most games at a decent FPS. Correct me if that's wrong.

Thanks again!

1440p60 is absolutely fine for Vega 56. 1440p144 isn't possible unless you want it to be unplayable.

I see no problem, unless you're trying to really go for 144fps you should have a very enjoyable gaming experience.

2 minutes ago, 1kv said:

-snip-

Will I have to manually lower my refresh rate in order to make sure it's not unplayable, or will I just naturally get lower FPS?

2 minutes ago, ben127127 said:

Will I have to manually lower my refresh rate in order to make sure it's not unplayable, or will I just naturally get lower FPS?

It should just naturally get lower FPS.

4 minutes ago, ben127127 said:

Just make sure freesync is enabled and you will be just fine.