Fans spin but no post!!

awesomeboy354

Here is the story: My friend wanted to move his prebuilt computer to a new case because the new 1060 he got didn't fit. So I moved everything smoothly and it all worked but the CPU cooler didn't fit because the cooler used standoffs to mount it on so I had him order a new one. When it came he used the instructions and her installed it himself but the computer did not boot when he turned it on. So he brought it to my house and I took the mobo out and put it back in, unmounted and remounted the cooler, and turned it on but it didn't post. Do you guys have any idea what might be wrong. Power supply works and the motherboard and graphics card is new. BTW the front fans are not connected.

15449251325375151502216132626728.jpg

15449253004834183628442441170861.jpg

4 minutes ago, awesomeboy354 said:

Here is the story: My friend wanted to move his prebuilt computer to a new case because the new 1060 he got didn't fit. So I moved everything smoothly and it all worked but the CPU cooler didn't fit because the cooler used standoffs to mount it on so I had him order a new one. When it came he used the instructions and her installed it himself but the computer did not boot when he turned it on. So he brought it to my house and I took the mobo out and put it back in, unmounted and remounted the cooler, and turned it on but it didn't post. Do you guys have any idea what might be wrong. Power supply works and the motherboard and graphics card is new.imageproxy.php?img=&key=17c10421afdc6db8 BTW the front fans are not connected.

15449251325375151502216132626728.jpg

15449253004834183628442441170861.jpg

Check to make sure the cpu is securly in place and tighten done and inserted right he could of put it in upside down and ruined the pins 

2 minutes ago, BigMunchiesGaming said:

Check to make sure the cpu is securly in place and tighten done and inserted right he could of put it in upside down and ruined the pins 

I reinstalled the CPU and cooler and made sure the pins aren't bent before I booted it. 

Just now, awesomeboy354 said:

I reinstalled the CPU and cooler and made sure the pins aren't bent before I booted it. 

Is the ram and everything pushed in all the way and everything Is connected to the right power ports?

Also is the pc not booting or just the fans?

Just now, BigMunchiesGaming said:

Is the ram and everything pushed in all the way and everything Is connected to the right power ports?

Also is the pc not booting or just the fans?

Yes, it is and even installed it into another slot.

Even on the onboard graphics?

Is the motherboard mounted on standoffs correctly and not causing a short?

(P.S. I noticed the IO shield is missing)

Desktop: HP Z220 Workstation, 12 GB RAM, 2x500 GB HDD RAID0, + GTX 1060 3GB

Laptop: ThinkPad T430, 8 GB RAM, 1x120 GB SSD

13 minutes ago, TakataruMC said:

Even on the onboard graphics?

Is the motherboard mounted on standoffs correctly and not causing a short?

(P.S. I noticed the IO shield is missing)

I didn't install the io shield because this board is refurbished. I made sure it is installed on the standoffs correctly. I have tried on onboard graphics.  

13 minutes ago, awesomeboy354 said:

I didn't install the io shield because this board is refurbished. I made sure it is installed on the standoffs correctly. I have tried on onboard graphics.  

Hm, try disconnecting the GPU, power, and remove the CMOS battery for a couple of seconds. Then reinstall the CMOS battery and try booting it without the GPU, connect the monitor to the onboard video. I've seen some cases where the BIOS doesn't play nicely with a sudden GPU swap-out and wouldn't POST (or at least, appear like it wouldn't post)

Just now, TakataruMC said:

Hm, try disconnecting the GPU, power, and remove the CMOS battery for a couple of seconds. Then reinstall the CMOS battery and try booting it without the GPU, connect the monitor to the onboard video. I've seen some cases where the BIOS doesn't play nicely with a sudden GPU swap-out and wouldn't POST (or at least, appear like it wouldn't post)

I have already tried that. :(

1 minute ago, awesomeboy354 said:

I have already tried that. :(

Welp, I'm not gonna be much help, not sure what else it could be.

Have you tried booting with only one RAM stick in slot 0 of the motherboard?

If you have a secondary system with a compatible motherboard, try swapping the CPU, GPU and RAM. If the secondary system posts, the motherboard might be dead. (Maybe killed by ESD damage?)

2 minutes ago, TakataruMC said:

Welp, I'm not gonna be much help, not sure what else it could be.

Have you tried booting with only one RAM stick in slot 0 of the motherboard?

If you have a secondary system with a compatible motherboard, try swapping the CPU, GPU and RAM. If the secondary system posts, the motherboard might be dead. (Maybe killed by ESD damage?)

Ok, thanks for your help!

Start with this: mobo out of case, sitting on non conductive surface like that clean dry wooden floor in pic for ex. only one stick of ram, cpu, cooler, psu, and monitor connected. short the power button pins on mobo. if it doesn't post, change ram to different slot. try post again. if no post, try different ram stick, then different slot. if it doesn't post still, you've at least narrowed it down to these parts so far. if it does post, start adding only one thing at a time until it doesn't post.

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

8 minutes ago, meenmeen1103 said:

Start with this: mobo out of case, sitting on non conductive surface like that clean dry wooden floor in pic for ex. only one stick of ram, cpu, cooler, psu, and monitor connected. short the power button pins on mobo. if it doesn't post, change ram to different slot. try post again. if no post, try different ram stick, then different slot. if it doesn't post still, you've at least narrowed it down to these parts so far. if it does post, start adding only one thing at a time until it doesn't post.

I have done all of those and it still didn't work

2 minutes ago, awesomeboy354 said:

I have done all of those and it still didn't work

Then like stated above, time to start part swapping. Verify his CPU and RAM work in a different system. Unlikely a PSU issue but worth trying that first before blaming the motherboard.

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB