16gb of ram in 8gb ram compatible mobo

Go to solution Solved by SkyHound0202,

The board claims to only support "non-ECC, un-buffered memory".

That said, ECC stick might still work so long as it is unbuffered, albeit in non-ECC mode (The QVL did mention one ECC stick, namely the Kingston KVR1333D3E9S/4G, an unbuffered ECC stick).

But the memory compatibility differs between board to board and stick to stick, so your mileage may vary.

Hi 

So i have a asrock h55m-le mobo with a xeon x3440 and 8gb of ram and i wondered if i could 1. put 16gb of ram in it to see if it would work anyway and 2nd can i just use ECC ram on it? 

Since the cpu is ECC ram compatible but i dont know if it would still work in a normal motherboard. 

Im planning to upgrade to 16gb of ram especially because ecc ram on ebay is really cheap.

That said, ECC stick might still work so long as it is unbuffered, albeit in non-ECC mode (The QVL did mention one ECC stick, namely the Kingston KVR1333D3E9S/4G, an unbuffered ECC stick).

But the memory compatibility differs between board to board and stick to stick, so your mileage may vary.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

3 minutes ago, SkyHound0202 said:

okay thanks for the info :)