New build for 1440p 120hz

Jacob O

I haven't built a new PC in a few years. This isn's my first build, but Ive been out of the game for quite a while. So I would like some feed back on what I'm looking at.

My goals are to be able to play new games at 1440p on high/ultra settings. Some games I play are Far cry 4, No Man's Sky, and FFXIV. I'm also wanting to build a custom water cooling loop for the CPU and Graphics Card and overclock both in the future. With that in mind this is what I came up with over the weekend.

CPU  AMD Ryzen 5 2600x

Motherboard Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro Wifi

Ram Corsair Vengeance RGB pro 2X8 Gig (2933)

GPU Asus GTX 1080 (single fan)

Storage WD Black NVMe M.2 2280 (250GB)     WD Black 2TB Hard Drive

Power  Unsure. How much power do need to be able to water cool and overclock this later? (Not looking to break records with the overclocking)

Case I'm going to reuse the Corsair 760T that I already have.

I'd love some feedback on what I came up with. I'm looking to spend no more that $1700.

My main concerns are:

Will this rig meet my goals?

Will these components play nice with each other?

Am I giving myself room to upgrade in the future?

This is my first build in about 4 years, so please be gentile. (yeah right!)  

A 550W or 650W psu would be more than sufficient. Consider Seasonic Focus Gold and Focus Plus Gold, Evga G2, and Corsair TXM Gold and RMX.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

a psu 500-650W is fine, EVGA g1+ 650 is 65$ on amazon. get a RTX 2070 instead of a 1080, and I'd get a 500GB sata SSD instead of a 256gb NVMe as the difference is minimal and more ssd storage space is good, and save some cash on the HDDs and get Seagate Barracuda 2TB or Raid a pair of 1TBs (which is faster than a WD black)

Thank you for the replies

So NVMe isn't significantly better than SATA? I know SSD's are a lot faster than HDD's. But the fact that you can only write to them so many times makes me a little weary of them. Especially because I sometimes buy games that get patched often. I was only planning on installing my OS, Drivers, a browser and Anti virus on it. Am I making too much of this issue?

Thanks again for the help! 

5 hours ago, Jacob O said:

Thank you for the replies

So NVMe isn't significantly better than SATA? I know SSD's are a lot faster than HDD's. But the fact that you can only write to them so many times makes me a little weary of them. Especially because I sometimes buy games that get patched often. I was only planning on installing my OS, Drivers, a browser and Anti virus on it. Am I making too much of this issue?

Thanks again for the help! 

SSDs under heavy load would wear out in about 20 years, but that's only if you are reading/writing to them 24/7. A normal user like you would wear out the SSD in about 1000 years, so there is no "you can only write to them so many times."