Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Cherry Mx switches in Razer keyboard?

Go to solution Solved by seon123,
13 minutes ago, dragonboy144 said:

Witch Switch Brand and Type would you recommend that is the most similar to Razer Green Switches, and where should I buy them?

Gateron Greens or Blues. $2 for 10x on KBDFans. I don't think the Razer switches have a shorter actuation than the normal 2mm. 

https://kbdfans.cn/collections/switches/products/smd-gateron-swtich?variant=35743515853

Alternatively, Kailh for $2,40 for 10x on Novelkeys. 

https://novelkeys.xyz/collections/switches/products/kailh-switches

Doesn't really matter too much which brand you get. They use the same mechanism for tactility.

The Kailh Box clicky and one of the Kailh Speed clicky use a different mechanism for the tactility, which can be fun, though a bit different from what's already on the keyboard. 

My friend recently gave me his old broken Razer Black Widow Chroma, so that maybe I could repair it, the only broken thing on it was the Space bar. Now I want to fix it but I need to replace the switch and since Razer doesn't sell their switches I want to know if I could use an Cherry Mx switch. Would that work? 
Thanks in Advance

Yeah, as long as the switch actually fits.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If my post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // PSU Tier List // Bugs and Issues // Join Floatplane! // Join the LTT Official Discord //

Yes. Most switches are Cherry MX style. Don't bother with Cherrys though, something like Gaterons for a third of the price would be equivalent/better. That'll be $2 for 10 switches. 

If it's the switch itself, just desolder it, and resolder a new one. If it's something else, it could get more complicated. 

:)

Like geo and seon said, get gaterons instead, cherry mxs are overrated and grainy. Also, which black widow do you have? I hope it doesn't have razer's green switch, razer managed to make a clicky switch more high pitched than mx blue and less tactile than mx brown. Keep in mind that you'll need to desolder the old switch and solder in the new switch. 

2 hours ago, geo3 said:

Yeah, Cherry are pretty meh. I'd go for Kailh, Outemu or Zealios. 

Loving purple pros

Think I'll order some zealios

16 hours ago, b emoji said:

Like geo and seon said, get gaterons instead, cherry mxs are overrated and grainy. Also, which black widow do you have? I hope it doesn't have razer's green switch, razer managed to make a clicky switch more high pitched than mx blue and less tactile than mx brown. Keep in mind that you'll need to desolder the old switch and solder in the new switch. 

I have the Green Switches .-.

Witch Switch Brand and Type would you recommend that is the most similar to Razer Green Switches, and where should I buy them?

13 minutes ago, dragonboy144 said:

Gateron Greens or Blues. $2 for 10x on KBDFans. I don't think the Razer switches have a shorter actuation than the normal 2mm. 

https://kbdfans.cn/collections/switches/products/smd-gateron-swtich?variant=35743515853

Doesn't really matter too much which brand you get. They use the same mechanism for tactility.

The Kailh Box clicky and one of the Kailh Speed clicky use a different mechanism for the tactility, which can be fun, though a bit different from what's already on the keyboard. 

31 minutes ago, dragonboy144 said:

You can find the older kalih razer greens on aliexpress and on ebay, but those are quite unreliable and arent great either. I dont know where you can find the newer greetech greens. 

Greetech blues would probably the the most similar feeling, and if you want a switch that registers faster like razer greens Kalih speed golds would probably the most similar. 

However, I would go for gateron blues. 

4 hours ago, seon123 said:

Okay I will try to fix it once I got the time, I'l writte you an update once I tried is

4 hours ago, dragonboy144 said:

If you like clicky switches I'd really recommend a click bar style switch over the older click jacket type. They sound and feel much better. Something like Kailh jade or navy. 

On 12/15/2018 at 10:43 AM, seon123 said:

Yes. Most switches are Cherry MX style. Don't bother with Cherrys though, something like Gaterons for a third of the price would be equivalent/better. That'll be $2 for 10 switches. 

If it's the switch itself, just desolder it, and resolder a new one. If it's something else, it could get more complicated. 

Not knowing about the qualities of the various switches, could you teach/explain to me how one of the Chinese knockoff brand switches would be 'better', outside from lower priced? I haven't looked into this much but I had assumed that the knockoff brands would be worse, as is sometimes the case with cheap Chinese clone products.

HEDT: i9 10980XE @ 4.9 gHz, 64GB @ 3600mHz CL14 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, 2x Nvidia Titan RTX NVLink SLI, Corsair AX1600i, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB OS/apps, Samsung 850 EVO 4TB media, LG 38GL950G-B monitor, Drop CTRL keyboard, Decus Respec mouse

Laptop: Razer Blade Pro 2019 9750H model, 32GB @ 3200mHz CL18 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 1TB RAID0, repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Gaming Rig: i9 9900ks @ 5.2ghz, 32GB @ 4000mHz CL17 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Kingpin, Corsair HX1200, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, Asus PG348Q monitor, Corsair K70 LUX RGB keyboard, Corsair Ironclaw mouse
HTPC: i7 7700 (delidded + LM), 16GB @ 2666mHz CL15 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X, Corsair SFX 600, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Samsung Q55R TV, Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 TKL keyboard, Logitech G403 wireless mouse

4 minutes ago, Kalm_Traveler1 said:

Not knowing about the qualities of the various switches, could you teach/explain to me how one of the Chinese knockoff brand switches would be 'better', outside from lower priced? I haven't looked into this much but I had assumed that the knockoff brands would be worse, as is sometimes the case with cheap Chinese clone products.

Many of them are smoother. With for example the Kailh Box clicky switches, you also use a different mechanism for tactility, so actual innovation, instead of using a design that wasn't meant to be clicky, in order to produce a clicky switch. The other tactile and clicky switches are often also more tactile than Cherrys. 

11 minutes ago, Kalm_Traveler1 said:

For one Cherry switches are not smooth at all. The have a grainy/scratchy feel to the press which a lot of people hate. 

Secondly they are very vanilla. The other brands offer way more variety.  You can get things like low wobble designs, sharp tactility, click bar switches and lots of options for various weights and combinations of those features. 

When Cherry's patent expired a bunch of these clones popped up and at the time they WERE fairly crappy. Their only advantage being price. But that was years ago and Gateron, Outemu and Kailh specifically have all stepped up their game dramatically, while Cherry have remained basically the same and just ride on their band name alone. 

5 hours ago, geo3 said:

For one Cherry switches are not smooth at all. The have a grainy/scratchy feel to the press which a lot of people hate. 

Secondly they are very vanilla. The other brands offer way more variety.  You can get things like low wobble designs, sharp tactility, click bar switches and lots of options for various weights and combinations of those features. 

When Cherry's patent expired a bunch of these clones popped up and at the time they WERE fairly crappy. Their only advantage being price. But that was years ago and Gateron, Outemu and Kailh specifically have all stepped up their game dramatically, while Cherry have remained basically the same and just ride on their band name alone. 

very interesting. I have never noticed the grainy feeling you mention but now that I have something to compare it to I'll try going back and forth between a few different keyboards and see if I can notice it.

In the room here at the moment I have the Razer Huntsman Elite on my desk, as well as two keyboards with Cherry MX blue switches, an Asus ROG Claymore and a Corsair K70 LUX RGB so I'll try going back and forth. 

Thanks for the explanation at the very least :)

HEDT: i9 10980XE @ 4.9 gHz, 64GB @ 3600mHz CL14 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, 2x Nvidia Titan RTX NVLink SLI, Corsair AX1600i, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB OS/apps, Samsung 850 EVO 4TB media, LG 38GL950G-B monitor, Drop CTRL keyboard, Decus Respec mouse

Laptop: Razer Blade Pro 2019 9750H model, 32GB @ 3200mHz CL18 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 1TB RAID0, repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Gaming Rig: i9 9900ks @ 5.2ghz, 32GB @ 4000mHz CL17 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Kingpin, Corsair HX1200, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, Asus PG348Q monitor, Corsair K70 LUX RGB keyboard, Corsair Ironclaw mouse
HTPC: i7 7700 (delidded + LM), 16GB @ 2666mHz CL15 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X, Corsair SFX 600, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Samsung Q55R TV, Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 TKL keyboard, Logitech G403 wireless mouse