PC crashing when playing MMORPGs

GDC1019

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to post my PC issue since I can't figure out what's going on with it and I'm not that computer savvy.

Here's the bottom line up front: When I play an MMORPG, my computer reboots every single time. 

Background: Gamer, play MOBAs/MMORPGs and have recently upgraded my GPU from the stock NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 since I thought the problem was related to the graphics card. However, when I load up either Black Desert Online or Guild Wars 2, my PC reboots in matter of minutes. I went into the settings and dropped the quality from Highest to either Medium/Medium Low and frame rates from unlimited to 60 FPS to see if this helps. It didn't resolve the issue so I did some more troubleshooting and cleaned out my heat sink and replaced/added thermal paste. This also didn't resolve the issue. Now I just don't know what else to do and don't have the budget to buy a new PC. Here's my specs below and looking for some advice. Let me know if I need to drop any more specs, thanks to all!

ALL STOCK EXCEPT GPU 

Sys Manufacturer- Acer

Sys Model - Predator G3-605 (amazon bought ?)

Bios: P11-C0

Processor: Intel Core i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60ghz (8CPUs)

Memory: 8192MB RAM 

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (replaced Nov 2018)

PSU: 500w 

From what I know, mmorpgs are very intensive on the cpu compared to other games. When a cpu does more work, it needs more power. So I'm assuming you have some sort of power delivery problem(possibly with the vrms, could I know what mobo you got) or that your power supply straight up sucks(is it one of those generic oem ones). You should try running some stress tests and record some power delivery numbers. See if they spike into the 400s. Though these oem psus are rated at 500. They are usually incapable of maintaining such levels for a long period of time and can only do around 400watts. 

On 12/15/2018 at 11:30 AM, Tommybobberson said:

From what I know, mmorpgs are very intensive on the cpu compared to other games. When a cpu does more work, it needs more power. So I'm assuming you have some sort of power delivery problem(possibly with the vrms, could I know what mobo you got) or that your power supply straight up sucks(is it one of those generic oem ones). You should try running some stress tests and record some power delivery numbers. See if they spike into the 400s. Though these oem psus are rated at 500. They are usually incapable of maintaining such levels for a long period of time and can only do around 400watts. 

Tommy, I took your advice and replaced my PSU. Ended up buying a Corsair 650W PSU, put it back together and haven't had an issue since! 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, GDC1019 said:

Tommy, I took your advice and replaced my PSU. Ended up buying a Corsair 650W PSU, put it back together and haven't had an issue since! 

Thanks!

No problem :p. But that was kinda risky, I wasnt sure that it was a problem with your psu so you could have just wasted some money. Also a decent 500w one should have been ok, it's just the oem ones that suck