So my friend built a new PC and the check cycle gets to VGA and gets stuck...

Maxisthemoose

Just as the title says, when we boot the computer it cycles through all the different checks, CPU, RAM, and the gets stuck on VGA. I tested the Video Card in my computer and it isn't the card, it worked in my computer. The only thing I could think of it being is the motherboard's PCI-E lanes.

Specs:

Ryzen 5 2600

16 GB T-Force Delta RGB 3000Mhz

MSI Radeon RX 580 8GB

Asus ROG Strix Gaming B350-F gaming

Any help is appreciated!

Main And Only Build : CPU : Ryzen 5 1600x (OC to 4.2GHz), Cooler : Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 240 TT Premium Edition, Motherboard : Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming, RAM : Trident Z RGB 16GB (2*8) 3000Mhz DDR4, GPU : Gigabyte Gaming GTX 1070 TI, PSU : EVGA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified, Storage : 250GB Samsung 860 Evo + 256GB SU800 + 2TB Seagate HDD.

29 minutes ago, Maxisthemoose said:

Any help is appreciated!

Try a different, perhaps lower-powered, video card, see what happens. Report back.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

14 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Try a different, perhaps lower-powered, video card, see what happens. Report back.

He has a 850W 80+ Gold PSU so I don't think that would be it

Main And Only Build : CPU : Ryzen 5 1600x (OC to 4.2GHz), Cooler : Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 240 TT Premium Edition, Motherboard : Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming, RAM : Trident Z RGB 16GB (2*8) 3000Mhz DDR4, GPU : Gigabyte Gaming GTX 1070 TI, PSU : EVGA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified, Storage : 250GB Samsung 860 Evo + 256GB SU800 + 2TB Seagate HDD.

If hes running a display port cable try a different cable like dvi, some non certified display port cables can actually send power back via pin 20 and it can cause various issues.

9 hours ago, Maxisthemoose said:

He has a 850W 80+ Gold PSU so I don't think that would be it

Video card, not power supply

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

10 hours ago, Maxisthemoose said:

Just as the title says, when we boot the computer it cycles through all the different checks, CPU, RAM, and the gets stuck on VGA. I tested the Video Card in my computer and it isn't the card, it worked in my computer. The only thing I could think of it being is the motherboard's PCI-E lanes.

Specs:

Ryzen 5 2600

16 GB T-Force Delta RGB 3000Mhz

MSI Radeon RX 580 8GB

Asus ROG Strix Gaming B350-F gaming

Any help is appreciated!

Has anyone told you, you look just like the Linus guru guy.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

3 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Video card, not power supply

I'm not really sure what you mean.

4 hours ago, Maxisthemoose said:

I'm not really sure what you mean.

Try a different video card, something less powerful and less power hungry than the existing one. See if you get the same problem...

10 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Try a different video card, something less powerful and less power hungry than the existing one. See if you get the same problem...

I don't have any other cards other than the GTX 1060 6GB and a GTX 1070 TI, so I can't really do that.

1 hour ago, Maxisthemoose said:

I don't have any other cards other than the GTX 1060 6GB and a GTX 1070 TI, so I can't really do that.

Do you have CraigsList where you are?

Buy something cheap. Or hit up Goodwill and get something cheap

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Do you have CraigsList where you are?

Buy something cheap. Or hit up Goodwill and get something cheap

I don't have the ability to do that, as I am a teenager without a licence and I live in the middle of nowhere.

3 hours ago, Maxisthemoose said:

I don't have the ability to do that, as I am a teenager without a licence and I live in the middle of nowhere.

Then I am out of ideas.

The basics of troubleshooting is to replace the part that seems to be causing the issue, and see if the issue goes away. If it does, then that part was the problem. If not, then the issue is elsewhere.

I assume you have reset the BIOS back to default?

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

hen I am out of ideas.

The basics of troubleshooting is to replace the part that seems to be causing the issue, and see if the issue goes away. If it does, then that part was the problem. If not, then the issue is elsewhere.

I tried it with the GTX 1070 ti and the GTX 1060 6gb, neither of which worked, but then when I used the RX 580 in my system it worked.

Just now, Maxisthemoose said:

I can't boot into the bios

10 hours ago, Maxisthemoose said:

I can't boot into the bios

But you can reset the BIOS by yanking out the BIOS battery, and most motherboards have some kind of physical jumper/switch that you can use to reset the BIOS

3 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

But you can reset the BIOS by yanking out the BIOS battery, and most motherboards have some kind of physical jumper/switch that you can use to reset the BIOS

Would that really do anything if it is a brand new Mobo from Newegg.