Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can i take the chipset heatsink off

Mattster503

So I want to upgrade my graphics card but the heatsink for the chipset is in the way its a tiny bit taller then the PCI-E X16 Slot 

So I can't fit a full length Gpu without taking the heatsink off

I had a dell OptiPlex 7010 sff that had the same chipset but no heatsink for it but the case was smaller and there should have been more heat

can I take off the chipset heatsink so I can upgrade the graphics card

download.jpg

Yikes.

Erm, theoretically, if you removed the heat sink, trimmed it, and put it back on it will probably be fine. Those heat sinks there there for a reason though and if I were you I would not do it. You will of course lose thermal performance. I would definitely not recommend removing the heat sink outright though.

At the end of the day, you're doing all this work for what? I slightly better fps or to save a few bucks on a gpu? Buy a low profile gpu instead.

why not remove the heatsink without the gpu installed and running synthetic benchmarks before you ny the card.

My recommendation would be filing a bit of the heatsink.

5 minutes ago, SidM said:

why not remove the heatsink without the gpu installed and running synthetic benchmarks before you ny the card.

Prime95 and furmark are tools for cpu and gpu but which program can simulate a worst case for a chipset?

You'd be alright but I'd replace it with something rather than remove it. You can get wee copper heatsinks from eBay that should do the trick. Don't boot it without one. 

5 hours ago, Finwillwin said:

I have that same board. I mean you could because it isn't an overclocking motherboard. I really wouldn't mess with it though.

No it is it supports the 3770k 

20 hours ago, Lasklo said:

I would just buy a low profile card, dont want to frick up a motherboard because of a slightly larger gpu.

As long as the temp is under 80 it should be OK

My old 990FX went all the way up to 95C with the tiny stock heatsink before I bought a proper cooler, and before that an old 775 board could easily hit 90C while playing Half-Life 2, it didn't even had a heatsink, somehow that board still works after like 10 years of constant use and abuse.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

1 hour ago, aezakmi said:

As long as the temp is under 80 it should be OK

My old 990FX went all the way up to 95C with the tiny stock heatsink before I bought a proper cooler, and before that an old 775 board could easily hit 90C while playing Half-Life 2, it didn't even had a heatsink, somehow that board still works after like 10 years of constant use and abuse.

the chipset isn't detected for temps