I had three XBox One controller break in a single week...

Kawaii Koneko

I'm one of those people who really tries to take care of their gaming equipment. When it comes to controllers, I try to always keep track of them and keep them safe when not in use. However, sometimes things happen. Controllers do get dropped sometimes and mine have but generally just knocked off the couch. But all my controllers were working just fine after their last drop but all of a sudden this week, three of them hit the fan and here is why it is frustrating.

Controller one: My Elite controller. A $150 controller that plays and feels absolutely amazing. It feels like a very solidly built controller but I have read some things online about people having reliability issues. Well, a few weeks ago I noticed that the left bumper was starting to require a bit of force to register. It also had to be pressed in the right spot. I probably should have stopped using it but I didn't. Well, several days ago I was playing a game and when I went to push it, there was no travel. I couldn't push it down at all. I then saw that there is some broken plastic inside that area. I can see it through the gap between the button and controller body. I can see the plastic move around if I tilt the controller. This controller is probably a year and maybe three months old.

Controller two: This is my original One controller that came with the system all the way back in 2013. In fact, it a Day One controller since I pre-ordered a Day One Edition back around the time the One launched. It has worked flawlessly and I only stopped using it because I bought the Elite.. It has been sitting with the rest of my controllers on a shelf ever since. I started using it again just a few day ago and then all of a sudden, the right bumper stopped registering. It clicks but nothing happens. Terrific. 

Controller three: The controller that came with my X. First of all, let me say, this controller feels like garbage. It just feels so cheap. The controller that came with the my original One is feels so much better in your hand. It has more heft to it and the plastic doesn't feel cheap. Even the center X button feels squishy when you push it. To be fair, the sticks do works really well and feel great. It is just that cheap plastic feeling. I cannot believe MS included such a cheap controller that honestly feels like a $20 third party controller in a $500 console. I bought the X on launch day but I didn't get the Scorpio Edition because by the time I realized pre-orders were being taken for it, I couldn't find anymore available. Man was I disappointed. So I'm not sure if the Scorpio controller were better or if controller since have been upgraded. Actually, my X is my second one because the first failed within thirty days so Amazon exchanged it. But I think the controller is the same as what I got on launch day.

Anyway, Since I already had the Elite controller when the X came out, I never even took this controller out of its packaging. I just stuck on a shelf. I only opened it two days ago because I had no other controller. It is day two now and the right bumper is already starting to fail. I'm having to press in just the right spot and put more pressure than normal for it to work. So it is already failing. 

I bought a four year extended warranty on my X. I'm not sure if they will replace the controller if it just covers the console. I'll have check.

I just don't see how this happened. Do I just have terrible luck or something? I've been grinding PayDay 2 and that game makes heavy use of the bumpers. You are constantly tapping and holding them down, especially if you play stealth a lot like I do and are constantly spotting enemies. But surely a controller should hold up to that.

I may be able to fix these controllers but I need a working one now. Let's see how long this one lasts. I'll definitely be buying the extended warranty this time. Why I didn't get a warranty on a $150 controller is beyond me.

I know this is kind of a pointless and long thread but I wanted to vent lol.

Buy one of these :D

edit: I tried to embed a picture of a Nintendo Switch, cba doing it. At work. 

2 minutes ago, DVA said:

Buy one of these :D

edit: I tried to embed a picture of a Nintendo Switch, cba doing it. At work. 

I plan to get one for the exclusive JRPG and anime games (not into any of Nintendo's main first party IPs) but it could never replace my X for multiplats that I prefer to play on the console for several reasons.

easy solution...

buy a ps4

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Never played Payday 2 on XB1 but I've got an original XB1 (the Sunset Overdrive one from 2014) and my controller is fine. I play a lot of FH3 which utilises most of the buttons on the controller a lot and I've had no issues.

Only problem is the battery usage. 

Just now, iLostMyXbox21 said:

easy solution...

buy a ps4

But your username is iLostMyXbox21, not iLostMyPS421.. 

illuminati confirmed

Damn Ive had the same controller ssinc ei got the consoles 

CPU:R9 3900x@4.5Ghz RAM:Vengeance Pro LPX @ 3200mhz MOBO:MSI Tomohawk B350 GPU:PNY GTX 1080 XLR8

DRIVES:500GB Samsung 970 Pro + Patriot Blast 480GB x2 + 12tb RAID10 NAS

MONITORS:Pixio PX329 32inch 1440p 165hz, LG 34UM68-p 1080p 75hz

3 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

easy solution...

buy a ps4

I already own and play on PS4 but I play most of my multiplats on the X.

47 minutes ago, 1kv said:

But your username is iLostMyXbox21, not iLostMyPS421.. 

illuminati confirmed

which i play on ps4 lmao

42 minutes ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

I already own and play on PS4 but I play most of my multiplats on the X.

but pc is still better

Have you got any siblings?

99% of everything I have ever owned that has been broken was broken by my brother.

And I haven't even seen him in like 9 years now. That's just how much of my stuff he broke back when I did have to see him.

1 hour ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

which i play on ps4 lmao

but pc is still better

Are there some actual numbers as to the PS4 controllers being more reliable? I personally prefer the XBox controllers over PS4, especially once you throw the Elite into the mix. I find the ergonomics better.

I have a gaming PC. It isn't the best but I just threw a GTX 1070 into it which is bottlenecked by my FX-6300. I can still play a lot of AAA games 1080p ultra and get good FPS results. However, the Blackout beta has shown me this probably won't be the case going forward with newer AAA games. Upgrades are planned.

However, I still find myself just plopping down on the couch playing my consoles. Idk why.

1 hour ago, DezGalbie said:

Have you got any siblings?

I have a sister but I haven't seen her in years. She has never touched any of my controllers, going all the way back to PS1 days. The only console of mine she ever played was my Genesis and that was because of Echo the Dolphin. Actually, she used to play a couple games with me on the NES way back in the day but back then, I was the one more likely to destroy the controller lol.

9 minutes ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

prefer the XBox controllers

its a shane 3 broke then

2 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

its a shane 3 broke then

LMAO, IKR?

It isn't like every so often I have one break or wear out and I need to replace it. Three controllers just failed in one week that previously worked fine. One was new which makes it really weird.

4 minutes ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

LMAO, IKR?

It isn't like every so often I have one break or wear out and I need to replace it. Three controllers just failed in one week that previously worked fine. One was new which makes it really weird.

the one that was new, does it still have warranty?

Just now, iLostMyXbox21 said:

the one that was new, does it still have warranty?

Well, the new one is the one that came with my X that I bought last year. I think the MS warranty has run out but I purchased a Square four year warranty with the console.I'm not sure if the warranty will cover just a controller or if it only applies to the console. I am going to look into it and see if I can get it replaced for free.

Unfortunately, I still have to shell out $150 for a new Elite because honestly, once you go Elite, you can't go back. ;)

Controller that came with my fat One has gone through phases of each bumber separately stopping working for a period. Both only went through this once, and both are working perfectly again. Since yours still clicks, it might be the same issue. I have no idea what caused it, so this isn't exactly helpful, but at least it's hope?

I too haven't even unwrapped the controller that came with my X, I got a new Bluetooth model when my original controller went through its first bumber issue, but I agree, it's pretty awful in comparison. Your situation also perfectly embodies why I only whip out the Elite for new games and other special occasions. It's superb, but even with the help of paddles, I know something will eventually break/degrade (I hate games that make you press the sticks, they shouldn't be buttons, 100% stupid concept).

Best of luck with Microsoft's support! My X came with 27 or so months of manufacturer warranty, so I'd imagine they'd still be happy to help you too. I have also seen time after time people claim on Reddit that Microsoft replaced their Elite controllers well after warranty had run out, but I think those have usually been about the grips. Still, I'd say that's worth a shot too. Their support is generally pretty amazing.

On 12/15/2018 at 3:05 AM, tatte said:

Controller that came with my fat One has gone through phases of each bumber separately stopping working for a period. Both only went through this once, and both are working perfectly again. Since yours still clicks, it might be the same issue. I have no idea what caused it, so this isn't exactly helpful, but at least it's hope?

I too haven't even unwrapped the controller that came with my X, I got a new Bluetooth model when my original controller went through its first bumber issue, but I agree, it's pretty awful in comparison. Your situation also perfectly embodies why I only whip out the Elite for new games and other special occasions. It's superb, but even with the help of paddles, I know something will eventually break/degrade (I hate games that make you press the sticks, they shouldn't be buttons, 100% stupid concept).

Best of luck with Microsoft's support! My X came with 27 or so months of manufacturer warranty, so I'd imagine they'd still be happy to help you too. I have also seen time after time people claim on Reddit that Microsoft replaced their Elite controllers well after warranty had run out, but I think those have usually been about the grips. Still, I'd say that's worth a shot too. Their support is generally pretty amazing.

I honestly think the sticks being buttons is a good concept. Without rear paddles, it makes things like melee or crouch/prone much easier. Even with the paddles I like the sticks. Depending on the game, I like to have R3 be the crouch/prone and a rear paddle be melee.

How did you get 27 months of warranty with your X? That is such an odd amount. Just Googling shows it comes with a one year warranty and there is an optional extended warranty. I personally chose to go with a four year warranty through SquareTrade. It was only $45 so it seemed like a pretty good deal for peace of mind. 

That is also very interesting to know about the Elite warranty.

I think I'm just going to end up fixing all my controllers myself. I can get new bumpers all for all three for $30-$40 off Amazon. Honestly, it costs so little to buy the parts myself that I would just rather do that than mess around with customer support and having to send the old ones in. It just isn't worth the time.

20 hours ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

How did you get 27 months of warranty with your X? That is such an odd amount. Just Googling shows it comes with a one year warranty and there is an optional extended warranty. I personally chose to go with a four year warranty through SquareTrade. It was only $45 so it seemed like a pretty good deal for peace of mind. 

I can only guess, but I think pre-order, living in the EU, and registering the product with Microsoft helped. Pre-order and near-holidays launch date probably contributed the most towards the odd total.