Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Monitor or tv?

Laku125

I have old 45" samsung tv (specs:1080p 30hz i only use it on 780p because 1080p is just trash on it) and im thinking  that i will replace it with something better, but i dont know if i should buy cheaper 4k tv or more expensive gaming monitor?

Depends on what TV or what monitor. Also, TVs lie about resolution a lot, and cut the edges off of the pixels to save money. A monitor would be better.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

What is your use-case?
And how far away are you sitting

CPU: 2x E5620 - GPU: 2x GTX660 - RAM: 64gb DDR3 ECC - Mobo: Z800 OEM - Storage:1TB WD Green - 256gb - Micron C400 250gb - 850 EVO - 512gb 850 PRO
Monitors: 3x HP ZR2440W - Keyboard: G710 MX Blue - Mouse: MX Master

Keep up the good tone and stay classyxD

7 minutes ago, pebble guy said:

What is your use-case?
And how far away are you sitting

I often just use it for gaming and waching videos and i usualy sit approximately 30 inches away from my tv

30 inches is really not far enough away to use a tv as monitor.
I would go for a good gaming monitor

CPU: 2x E5620 - GPU: 2x GTX660 - RAM: 64gb DDR3 ECC - Mobo: Z800 OEM - Storage:1TB WD Green - 256gb - Micron C400 250gb - 850 EVO - 512gb 850 PRO
Monitors: 3x HP ZR2440W - Keyboard: G710 MX Blue - Mouse: MX Master

Keep up the good tone and stay classyxD

Just now, amusedschrodinger said:

That might be too close for a 45".

Well. Thats what i got from my dad for "monitor" 

3 minutes ago, amusedschrodinger said:

Wall mount it and move your desk away a bit more?

I have it wall mounted, but i cant move my desk any more away from my tv because my wall is just too close for that. 

On 12/14/2018 at 1:18 PM, pebble guy said:

30 inches is really not far enough away to use a tv as monitor.
I would go for a good gaming monitor

On 12/14/2018 at 1:19 PM, amusedschrodinger said:

That might be too close for a 45".

If you sit farther away then there's literally no point in getting a bigger screen because the farther you get the smaller it looks.

The point of a larger screen is to have more of your vision filled by the screen for better immersion or to see more things at once, like multi-monitor but without crappy bezels.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

On 12/14/2018 at 1:09 PM, fasauceome said:

Depends on what TV or what monitor. Also, TVs lie about resolution a lot, and cut the edges off of the pixels to save money. A monitor would be better.

That's BS and never happens with any TV these days from any reputable brand.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

A good rule of thumb is to have your eyes roughly the same distance from a VDU used as a monitor, as the diagonal size of the panel.

So 30"  VDU, eyes 30" away. 55" VDU, 55" away.

Again this is for PC / monitor use case. The VDU can be a monitor, TV, projector. .what ever .. but for PC use your gunna need to be close to read stuff.

For TV use cases, movies and programs, u dont need to read small text so u can sit ~1.5x the VDU diagonal size.

Personaly i use a 42" 1080p Plasma as my PC display and sit ~3.5-4 feet away (measured from TV to eyes)

If you like big screens, then stick with them, it will likely b e rather jaring goign down to a monitor agian after runnign a 45" screen for so long. Though i would sugest that 43" should be your max size, even at 4k. Going higher reduces to Pixels Per inch (PPI) to low imo (below 100).

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

5 hours ago, Enderman said:

That's BS and never happens with any TV these days from any reputable brand.

Almost all of the TV's I or my friend have bought recently from Costco do this. Samsung models, even. He got a nice big "4k" tv with "480Hz" and guess what

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 hours ago, SolarNova said:

A good rule of thumb is to have your eyes roughly the same distance from a VDU used as a monitor, as the diagonal size of the panel.

So 30"  VDU, eyes 30" away. 55" VDU, 55" away.

Then in both of those cases the screen is only taking up 53 degrees of your FOV and there is no benefit from using a 55" screen.

This "rule of thumb" is only if you want your TV to look the same size as a monitor would.

Which is a waste.

Because then you might as well just use a monitor.

If you use a 55" screen at 30" away then you get 85 degrees diagonal FOV.

The closer you sit the more of your peripheral vision is filled with the screen, making it more immersive.

Just like multi-monitor.

3 hours ago, fasauceome said:

Almost all of the TV's I or my friend have bought recently from Costco do this. Samsung models, even. He got a nice big "4k" tv with "480Hz" and guess what

There is a setting in the TV menus called picture size that sometimes needs to be run (after setting the computer's output to 3820x2160) for it to output the native resolution.

No there is no tv being sold with fake resolution and "cut edges on the pixels" whatever that means.

Also 480Hz is not a real refresh rate, that is done with backlight strobing or interpolation and other crap which is automatically disabled when you set the tv's mode to PC.

If you actually thought you could send a 480Hz signal to a display then you seriously need to do some more research, because that is not possible with any consumer technology at the moment.

No wonder you couldn't get your TV working properly with a computer and are blaming it on the tv.

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, Enderman said:

when you set the tv's mode to PC.

Is there a difference between 'PC' and 'game' mode? Or are they basically the same?

15 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Also 480Hz is not a real refresh rate, that is done with backlight strobing or interpolation and other crap which is automatically disabled when you set the tv's mode to PC.

If you actually thought you could send a 480Hz signal to a display then you seriously need to do some more research, because that is not possible with any consumer technology at the moment.

No wonder you couldn't get your TV working properly with a computer and are blaming it on the tv.

We knew the refresh rate for the TV was BS, he just wanted a huge 4K TV.

16 minutes ago, Enderman said:

there is a setting in the TV menus called picture size that sometimes needs to be run (after setting the computer's output to 3820x2160) for it to output the native resolution.

No there is no tv being sold with fake resolution and "cut edges on the pixels" whatever that means.

There is no setting of that sort. Various display sources will send a 4K signal and have the edges cut off, needing readjustment. Devices like the nintendo switch have very convenient built in features to resize your display so that it can account for the cut off edges, which are extremely common.

Primary PC:

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Just now, Paddi01 said:

Is there a difference between 'PC' and 'game' mode? Or are they basically the same?

PC mode completely disables all post processing and allows it to display the correct colours coming from the PC.

In game mode there is still some colour stuff done, iirc on samsung tvs.

Some other tv models only have game mode and that's what you use when connected to a PC.

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

We knew the refresh rate for the TV was BS, he just wanted a huge 4K TV.

There is no setting of that sort. Various display sources will send a 4K signal and have the edges cut off, needing readjustment. Devices like the nintendo switch have very convenient built in features to resize your display so that it can account for the cut off edges, which are extremely common.

All samsung TVs have had this setting for years.

Image result for samsung tv picture size setting

Image result for samsung tv picture size setting

Your friend is probably doing something wrong, maybe he should take a look at that guide I posted earlier on how to properly set the computer and TV settings.

No samsung tv has a fake resolution or "cut pixels". That is not what causes overscan.

Spoiler

On 12/19/2018 at 12:59 AM, Enderman said:

If you sit farther away then there's literally no point in getting a bigger screen because the farther you get the smaller it looks.

The point of a larger screen is to have more of your vision filled by the screen for better immersion or to see more things at once, like multi-monitor but without crappy bezels.

Speaking of bezel I got the most POS bezel on my ctfmon

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

The fonts are going to look like sh*T as is the tv.  There is a reason why there are TV's then monitors..    put half your screen on your monitor and half on other one and look how diferent the white looks or the dark colors ,, and overall ,, the picture plus the pixels are different,, you cant sit in front of a tv and think its ok to use as monitor,, It will fuk up your eyes big time... monitor is crisp more pixels like I said better DPI and fonts will not look sh*Ty as on a tv it would.  Only thing useful for a tv on your pc is for gaming.... that's it..... I wouldn't dare use tv as my desktop lol,,,,,,,  :)

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

18 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

The fonts are going to look like sh*T as is the tv.  There is a reason why there are TV's then monitors..    put half your screen on your monitor and half on other one and look how diferent the white looks or the dark colors ,, and overall ,, the picture plus the pixels are different,, you cant sit in front of a tv and think its ok to use as monitor,, It will fuk up your eyes big time... monitor is crisp more pixels like I said better DPI and fonts will not look sh*Ty as on a tv it would.  Only thing useful for a tv on your pc is for gaming.... that's it..... I wouldn't dare use tv as my desktop lol,,,,,,,  :)

Pritty much everything you said here is wrong. no offence.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

9 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

Pritty much everything you said here is wrong. no offence.

Dude you use a plasma,, so relax,, don't talk!  anyone can say "your wrong"  But can you prove me wrong mr. plasma

A TV is only good for games.  Not desktop.  PERIOD.  Now prove me wrong ?  Let me guess your plasma is better then todays LCD LED tech , QLED OLED etc lol

Fact that you pownn a plasma tells me you don't know much about displays.. So dont say Im wrong,, anyone can do that.  Tell me why I am wrong ?

On 12/20/2018 at 2:37 PM, Turtle Rig said:

Dude you use a plasma,, so relax,, don't talk!  anyone can say "your wrong"  But can you prove me wrong mr. plasma

With respect. i dont need to.

You came in with a statement without any evidence of it. Im chalenging your statement. If you have evidence to sugest that somehow a modern day TV is incapable of displaying a good image from an input device like a PC, dispite the tech being nigh indentical to a monitor, just bigger.. and dispite large monitors like those 40" ones, using a identical panels to those found in its TV counterparts ..then by all means please share.

On 12/20/2018 at 2:39 PM, Turtle Rig said:

A TV is only good for games.  Not desktop.  PERIOD.  Now prove me wrong ?  Let me guess your plasma is better then todays LCD LED tech , QLED OLED etc lol

Yes my Plasma beats the majority of LCD type VDU's currently out in regards to image quality simply due to the limitations of LCD technology.

Plasma Pixel repsone is better.

Viewing angles are better

Blacks are better

Contrast is better

Uniformity is better

infact the only way a modern LCD beats a old Plasma is; Resolution (which isnt everything), energy usage ,and physical size and weight.

Only QLED comes close to competing, and only those with FALD can compete with black levels, even then they suffer from haloing.

OLED however is better, just to big atm (55"+).

On 12/20/2018 at 2:40 PM, Turtle Rig said:

Fact that you pownn a plasma tells me you don't know much about displays.. So dont say Im wrong,, anyone can do that.  Tell me why I am wrong ?

Im going to deduce from your asumptions about my knowledge on VDU technology bassed on me owning a Plasma, that infact YOU dont know as much as u seem to think, at the very least in regards to Plasma. I'm going to take a leap here and suspect ur argument agianst Plasma is 'burn-in', for which my roughly 8 year old Plasma has none dispite only ever being used as a PC VDU.

I am curious as to why you think TV is incapable of producing crisp text, and how you think it will f*ck up ones eyes.

Anecdotal i know, but im here ~4' from my 42" Plasma, reading and typeing away with no problems what so ever. Now granted this is a Plasma not a LCD , and LCD's are indeed crisper, not as 'soft' as plasma. So if, according to you, LCD TVs are not as crisp as Monitors and thats why text is crap...am i to surmize you think a Plasma would be nigh impossible to read from ?