Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fresh install wont boot with GPU (used to work)

Speakerator

Go to solution Solved by pstarlord,

The first thing on my check list is to reset the CMOS and make sure your motherboard's BIOS is up to date.  After that, you could probably just try to reinstall Windows again, maybe something happened during the install. 

Good evening fellas,

I replaced my 970 with a 2070 this week. Everything was working fine, the card teams nicely with an overclocked 2600k @ 1440p . Then, since I kinda neglected Windows maintenance for a while, I wanted to do a fresh Windows 10 install, you know, to get rid of all the bloat and really enjoy a fast system again.

Said, done. Windows installed just fine, however, started to act up while installing all the initial updates, leaving me with a blank screen while the machine was still on. I figured it had something to do with the GPU, as I wasn't able to install the NVidia drivers just yet.

Removed the GPU, left the system running for a few hours, getting all the updates done.

Now the weird part: whenever I install a GPU, the system won't boot. It passes POST and simply stops at a blank screen. Remove the GPU  (or set the BIOS to initialize iGPU only) -> straight into Windows. For all cases, the monitor is still plugged into the motherboard. 

Happens with both the 970 and 2070.

Anyone has ever experienced something similar?

(System in Sig)

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

The first thing on my check list is to reset the CMOS and make sure your motherboard's BIOS is up to date.  After that, you could probably just try to reinstall Windows again, maybe something happened during the install. 

okay, that was quite a pain in the a** because it wouldn't even boot to bios properly but that did the trick. Quite the mess getting everything setup correctly again, but at least the thing is up and running now. (y) 

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

• 2 weeks later...

yep, I simply reset the bios to defaults and was good to go