AMD 18.12.2 Auto Under/Over Feature

anthonyc813

Hello,

Doing research on the subject title now. There are only 2-3 videos on the YouTubes and a handful of articles on the new features. I am a novice and would prefer an automatic Undervolting and Overclocking instead of messing with the setting myself and possibly frying my beloved PC.

I own the XFX Vega 56

image.png.12e5e0a1385957da3335238d569efa22.png

Are these auto under/over buttons good for my situation? set it and forget it with no tweaking and testing and what not?

I do play AAA titles. And WoW. Monitor is MG279Q 1440p IPS FreeSync

1590MHz

800MHz

I tried just about EVERYTHING to get my card and drivers validated!!! Even got Windows 10 and the shit still does not see my card on 3D Mark!!image.png.a68de1e688db1577420d3c10d18c7f45.png

image.png

Whelp I tried the auto features and the only things I notice was bus speed went up to 900 and ALL my scores in all 3D Mark tests went down by 100+...

AND the programs STILL does not recognize my crivers and Vega card!!!!!

DSKFJSDLFKJSDLFKJSDLFKJSDFLKS

1 hour ago, anthonyc813 said:

Whelp I tried the auto features and the only things I notice was bus speed went up to 900 and ALL my scores in all 3D Mark tests went down by 100+...

AND the programs STILL does not recognize my crivers and Vega card!!!!!

DSKFJSDLFKJSDLFKJSDLFKJSDFLKS

It's a new thing, give it time.  

Gamers Nexus just put up a video yesterday with a guy from AMD talking about a lot of the features.  The auto overclocking is "modest" as the AMD rep said.  So don't expect anything crazy out of it. 

The most useful upgrade I've found is that you have more control over the fan curve and much more control in the manual overclocking.  The monitoring of clock speed is still a bit inaccurate I feel, but I was able to get a higher stable overclock with the new version, than the older. 

I did notice that AMD Overlay on games now doesn't include FPS for some reason...or maybe there is a setting I've missed in the new software that turned is off.  While it doesn't include FPS, it seems more stable,and more consistent.  On the previous update, from just a few weeks ago, the overlay would only sit properly in the bottom left of the screen.  Upper right settings (where I like it) would display in the upper middle of the screen...not very useful. haha.  

Here's something to take into consideration, I got my Vega 56 a few months ago, I've tweaked it and tuned it every way I can imagine to get the best scores on bench marking software like Unigine, 3D Mark and Cinebench.  When I actually game, I don't even need to overclock it.  Shadow of the Tomb Raider at 1080p, highest graphic settings, sits around 90 FPS at stock settings, with my strongest stable over clock it averages closer to 94 or 95.  Pushing the RAM does make more crowded scenes like running through a town full of NPC's smoother.  (who knows maybe I've got a bottleneck somewhere, we shall find out when Ryzen 3000 series comes out haha)  Of course, certain games have different requirements, so take this with a grain of salt.  So, there's no real need to get too worked up over it, or anything that the Wattman software will be able to do or add to your gaming performance.  

Gamers Nexus is supposed to do a full video review of the new update soon, so keep an eye out for that.  Other than that, just be patient.  It's a pretty big update, so keep an eye out for more smaller updates in the near future to help patch some bugs that may be in it.  

Because I know how fun it is, and how enticing it is, I think you'll just want to learn how to overclock manually.  Again, Gamers Nexus is kind of your "go to" place for Vega, IMO.  Steve tends to think it's the best thing ever, especially the Vega 56 because of the amount of power and performance you can coax out of them.  He's got a video about a year old that is a great, very in depth, tutorial on how to over clock Vega. 

30 minutes ago, pstarlord said:

It's a new thing, give it time.  

Gamers Nexus just put up a video yesterday with a guy from AMD talking about a lot of the features.  The auto overclocking is "modest" as the AMD rep said.  So don't expect anything crazy out of it. 

The most useful upgrade I've found is that you have more control over the fan curve and much more control in the manual overclocking.  The monitoring of clock speed is still a bit inaccurate I feel, but I was able to get a higher stable overclock with the new version, than the older. 

I did notice that AMD Overlay on games now doesn't include FPS for some reason...or maybe there is a setting I've missed in the new software that turned is off.  While it doesn't include FPS, it seems more stable,and more consistent.  On the previous update, from just a few weeks ago, the overlay would only sit properly in the bottom left of the screen.  Upper right settings (where I like it) would display in the upper middle of the screen...not very useful. haha.  

Here's something to take into consideration, I got my Vega 56 a few months ago, I've tweaked it and tuned it every way I can imagine to get the best scores on bench marking software like Unigine, 3D Mark and Cinebench.  When I actually game, I don't even need to overclock it.  Shadow of the Tomb Raider at 1080p, highest graphic settings, sits around 90 FPS at stock settings, with my strongest stable over clock it averages closer to 94 or 95.  Pushing the RAM does make more crowded scenes like running through a town full of NPC's smoother.  (who knows maybe I've got a bottleneck somewhere, we shall find out when Ryzen 3000 series comes out haha)  Of course, certain games have different requirements, so take this with a grain of salt.  So, there's no real need to get too worked up over it, or anything that the Wattman software will be able to do or add to your gaming performance.  

Gamers Nexus is supposed to do a full video review of the new update soon, so keep an eye out for that.  Other than that, just be patient.  It's a pretty big update, so keep an eye out for more smaller updates in the near future to help patch some bugs that may be in it.  

Because I know how fun it is, and how enticing it is, I think you'll just want to learn how to overclock manually.  Again, Gamers Nexus is kind of your "go to" place for Vega, IMO.  Steve tends to think it's the best thing ever, especially the Vega 56 because of the amount of power and performance you can coax out of them.  He's got a video about a year old that is a great, very in depth, tutorial on how to over clock Vega. 

thanks for the reply. I tried the OC thing a while back and its not for me. I like my ASUS AI Suite3 as it did all the work for my CPU overclocking. Out of the box the card is solid yes. But everyone and thier blog says to OC these cards and undervolt for 1440p and what not. 

My previous 390X was fine honestly. The vega is giving me more trouble than the 390X. I am now seeing screen tearing in games. when I turn off Freesync on the monitor itself and AMD settings, like 3D Mark says to, the test runs fine. When I have Freesync on I get screen tearing in all benchmarks... 

Should I revert the settings in the new AMD drivers for now and wait a few days for more expirienced users to play with it and give their feed back? I would rather do the auto feature. I tend to buy cards that are factory OC'd. The last time i really sat down and researched and tried to OC an ASUS STRIX Fury air cooled card it was a NIGHTMARE. sold it on ebay 2 weeks later after replacing my AIO and PSU... never again.

5 hours ago, anthonyc813 said:

thanks for the reply. I tried the OC thing a while back and its not for me. I like my ASUS AI Suite3 as it did all the work for my CPU overclocking. Out of the box the card is solid yes. But everyone and thier blog says to OC these cards and undervolt for 1440p and what not. 

My previous 390X was fine honestly. The vega is giving me more trouble than the 390X. I am now seeing screen tearing in games. when I turn off Freesync on the monitor itself and AMD settings, like 3D Mark says to, the test runs fine. When I have Freesync on I get screen tearing in all benchmarks... 

Should I revert the settings in the new AMD drivers for now and wait a few days for more expirienced users to play with it and give their feed back? I would rather do the auto feature. I tend to buy cards that are factory OC'd. The last time i really sat down and researched and tried to OC an ASUS STRIX Fury air cooled card it was a NIGHTMARE. sold it on ebay 2 weeks later after replacing my AIO and PSU... never again.

Well of course everyone tells you to OC and UV the card because it's free, it only costs you a little time.  Took me about an hour to go from completely ignorant on the topic, to having a basic understanding and very stable overclock on my Vega 56.  So, it's not hard, and it doesn't take that much time, that's why people tell you to do it.  Especially with Vega 56, it's what makes it one of the best price to performance cards on the market. 

If overclocking isn't for you, and you don't really want to learn how to do it, then I'd say you shouldn't even worry about anything a synthetic benchmark software has to suggest to you, because they are not applicable in real gaming experiences.  Also, never shut of free sync while you're gaming, it causes errors in benchmarks but again, synthetic bench marks are not an accurate representation of what your gaming experience will be like. 

The way I see it, you've got two choices.  Learn to overclock or don't.  Either way, the only real benchmark that matters is your experience gaming.  Like I said, I don't even use my overclock all the time.  When I enter a city or a portion of a game with a lot of movement, I'll crank it up a bit, but most of the time it's not even there.