Editing YouTube videos, do I need a soundcard?

grangervoldemort

Thinking of building a new PC with a decent motherboard.

Do I need a separate sound-card if I am editing videos for YouTube?

I currently have a Asus Xonar D2X (see sig), but it causes BSOD's in Win 10 as Asus are aholes and don't release full drivers for 'old' hardware. This was only a few years old when Win 10 came out. Now it's old yeah sure, but when Win 10 came out it wasn't old.

My concern is the same thing happening later. Doubt I would even get much for D2X if I tried to sell it now.

I use Z5500 speakers and will get some decent headphones at some point, like Sennheiser or shock horror Bose.

I watch movies and play music too obviously.

So what do you think?

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Samsung Green 8GB DDR3 C11 1600Mhz 30nm
- Gigabyte HD 7870 OC Windforce 3x 2GB

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- TP-Link Wireless N Adapter TL-WDN4800
- Bluetooth Adapter - TRUST 17772

- OS Drive Crucial MX500 500GB

- Samsung BluRay ODD

Lian Li SATA power switch BZ-H06B
BitFenix Recon Internet-Connected Fan Controller
Zalman CNPS9500AT with Zalman ZM-CS5B CNPS Clip Support

1 minute ago, Finwillwin said:

Not all sound cards are created equal, obviously, a SoundBlasterX AE-5 will sound better than a cheap motherboard's onboard audio. What I am saying is, are you happy with it, if so it will work well for anything.  A high core count CPU would be a better upgrade than getting a sound card if you are editing video.

Your previous answer was adequate, don't feed the trolls.  Most mid tier and up boards have great audio.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

All sound cards are shit, get an external USB DAC. Never under any circumstance get an internal sound card.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I would get an external usb sound card. Much better audio than onboard, and can eliminate buzzing, also less stuff going to the back of your pc, due to most just using one usb. Highly recommend creative audio. Can get a decent one for around 85 dollars. :)

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

1 minute ago, Derkoli said:

I would get an external usb sound card. Much better audio than onboard, and can eliminate buzzing, also less stuff going to the back of your pc, due to most just using one usb. Highly recommend creative audio. Can get a decent one for around 85 dollars. :)

Never had buzzing or any kind of noise (I read that electrical noise can happen when using an internal card). 

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

Yeah i never did. But my mobo doesnt have optical out so i had to get one to connect to my reciever. Aswell as creative cards come with lots of software, such as setting each speaker level individually, And a graphical EQ, and a virtual surround which upscales/upmixes stereo sources to 5.1, also can adjust the crossover between the sub and satellites, aswell as having a crystallizer which makes music so much livelier.

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

Just now, Derkoli said:

Yeah i never did. But my mobo doesnt have optical out so i had to get one to connect to my reciever. Aswell as creative cards come with lots of software, such as setting each speaker level individually, And a graphical EQ, and a virtual surround which upscales/upmixes stereo sources to 5.1, also can adjust the crossover between the sub and satellites, aswell as having a crystallizer which makes music so much livelier.

Yeah I regret 'upgrading' my soundcard. TBH the main reason I did it at the time was 'IT LOOKS COOLER. IT HAS A ORANGE LIGHTTTT AND BRUSHED METAL COVER (which you never get to see anyway as it's right above the GPU).

I did plenty of research before I bought it.... that wasn't the only reason; but it was the main one (I think).

By external USB soundcard do you mean an external DAC?

Also what are your reasons for giving this advice?

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-Performance-Headphone-Integrated-Microphone/dp/B00F8VB0IW/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1544820429&sr=1-10&keywords=usb+sound+card - something like this, dac, usb sound card, whatever you want to call it, i think its just easier overall, has improved sound quality, more connection options, can look cleaner, can be easier to cable manage, its the little things really.

2 minutes ago, grangervoldemort said:

Yeah I regret 'upgrading' my soundcard. TBH the main reason I did it at the time was 'IT LOOKS COOLER. IT HAS A ORANGE LIGHTTTT AND BRUSHED METAL COVER (which you never get to see anyway as it's right above the GPU).

I did plenty of research before I bought it.... that wasn't the only reason; but it was the main one (I think).

By external USB soundcard do you mean an external DAC?

Also what are your reasons for giving this advice?

1 minute ago, Derkoli said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-Performance-Headphone-Integrated-Microphone/dp/B00F8VB0IW/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1544820429&sr=1-10&keywords=usb+sound+card - something like this, dac, usb sound card, whatever you want to call it, i think its just easier overall, has improved sound quality, more connection options, can look cleaner, can be easier to cable manage, its the little things really.

Oh. So many options. That looks ... well cheapo. Clearly aimed at gamers with its cheapo styling. Makes me think it probably isn't all that great. DAC's look the part..... some guy above said NEVER get a sound card, ALWAYS get a DAC. :S so much conflicting advice

- Core i5 3570k
- GA-Z77X-D3H -- REV 1.0

- Corsair TX 650W

- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E

- Samsung BluRay ODD

Just now, grangervoldemort said:

Oh. So many options. That looks ... well cheapo. Clearly aimed at gamers with its cheapo styling. Makes me think it probably isn't all that great. DAC's look the part..... some guy above said NEVER get a sound card, ALWAYS get a DAC. :S so much conflicting advice

Creative make some really good stuff.. lucky i got my hands on the previous model.. much more discreet.

-= Locked =-

No need to be condescending while asking questions or giving answers.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER